Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sanka
Aug 23, 2008

That's an amazing mantis species. I grew up in Iowa and spent my entire childhood looking for a mantis, though we were on the very edge of their range. Living in Texas, I found a few and was captivated by them.

More Info

They seem generally docile and almost friendly on your hand. Don't seem to mind at all.

I live in Minneapolis now, and plan on buying a bunch of Mantis egg cases to release in my garden. The local stores sell them as beneficial insects, since they eat the pests, but their egg cases can't survive the winter. I really hope I can raise a few in my garden and get some pics though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chocolate Cocaine
Dec 26, 2008

Lord Fizzlebottom posted:

Ground cayenne pepper

I. Love. That.

I recently got really into macro photography, and wanted to start trying it out. I am looking to find a lens for my Nikon FE (takin' it back to film!), but I didn't know what good options I had. Any suggestions? I'll probably be taking super macro stuff in the end, if that helps

LanceKulot
Nov 17, 2006

Chocolate Cocaine posted:

I. Love. That.

I recently got really into macro photography, and wanted to start trying it out. I am looking to find a lens for my Nikon FE (takin' it back to film!), but I didn't know what good options I had. Any suggestions? I'll probably be taking super macro stuff in the end, if that helps

Have you tried messing around with reverse mounting any lens? It's a quick and dirty way to get into it. At least until you find a nice macro lens which actually mounts properly on your camera.

Oprah Haza
Jan 25, 2008
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Some of the shots in here inspired me to finally do something macro. The limiting factor had been getting a lens but I got one of those Raynox converter thingies after seeing this thread and shot some stuff laying around my friend's house yesterday.

Dog ear - we were both amazed and horrified at 100% file size.

Fucktard Idiot
Oct 8, 2007

LanceKulot posted:

Have you tried messing around with reverse mounting any lens? It's a quick and dirty way to get into it. At least until you find a nice macro lens which actually mounts properly on your camera.

These are from a reversed Pentax-M 50mm, handheld with ambient light. The lens was about $20 on craigslist and the reversing ring was like $5 or $6 from ebay.

I would've liked to stop the aperture down a bit more in the 2nd one but I really needed the light.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
This one links to the full-size, because it's worth it to be able to count the grains of dust on his eyeball.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero
I did a macro workshop put on by Calumet this weekend since I hadn't tried macro yet, and ended up ordering the Tamron 90mm f/2.8 Macro after getting to play with it during the seminar. Looks like I may need to pick Raynox as well after seeing some of the images here.

They took us up to an Orchid greenhouse to do some photography; this is one of my favorites of what I captured:

Need to play with the lens some more (and the tripod they convinced me to get; it was all told a very expensive class by the time I was done).

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<

fordan posted:

(and the tripod they convinced me to get; it was all told a very expensive class by the time I was done).
There are people here who swear up and down on tripods for good macro photography (and the good ones, like snipe, can back it up), but it will teach you a new meaning of the word "patience."

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

and that's how you get ants.
I've tried using a tripod a couple of times and just can't get used to it. Most of the time my subject (insects/arachnid) will be jittery and move around quite a bit and I just can't risk bumping the branches with the tripod legs or what have you, scaring it off completely.

Fucktard Idiot
Oct 8, 2007

diarrhea for girls posted:

I've tried using a tripod a couple of times and just can't get used to it. Most of the time my subject (insects/arachnid) will be jittery and move around quite a bit and I just can't risk bumping the branches with the tripod legs or what have you, scaring it off completely.

That's what macro focusing rails are for

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

brb wailin on dad posted:

That's what macro focusing rails are for
Still, there's nothing quite like hauling around a tripod (legs already extended, because you don't want to move too much when you find a bug worth shooting), setting it down (without the legs brushing against a branch), adjusting your height and angle, and then having the subject fly away at the last second. If you want really fantastic macro shots a tripod can give amazing results, but dear Christ it takes the patience of Job and the steady hand of a surgeon.

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

Yeah, I have trouble getting into position without having to lug around a tripod too. I don't know how I would be able to get shots of long-legged flies for example, because every time you shoot they flip out and fly somewhere else on the leaf/bush and you would have to reset everything.

Trying to get this guy to cooperate by facing the camera while chowing down on an ant was impossible and it was extremely skittish, flying from leaf to leaf at the slightest bit of movement.

PREYING MANTITS fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Mar 2, 2010

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
My god, Jackpot what did you get those pictures with?

YourCreation
Jan 4, 2004

A little creative surgery helps turn a few sick pets into a new and improved friend!
Oh hey guys

Link to full: http://lollerskates.org/photos/hopperfull.jpg

I use a Nikon D80 with a Tamron 90mm
http://www.tamron.com/lenses/prod/90mm.asp

Fucktard Idiot
Oct 8, 2007

Ok speaking of tripods: people posting bomb-rear end bug shots in this thread what are you using? Handheld or tripod? AF or manual? Live view or viewfinder?

It does seem like it would be really loving hard to shoot a bug with a tripod.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

Stew Man Chew posted:

My god, Jackpot what did you get those pictures with?
Canon 100mm/2.8 macro, and most were shot on my XTi. Used a Vivitar 285 for flash, except for the bright green dragonfly where I was just shitass lucky on the focus, shooting at f/5 with no flash. The fuckoff-big pics of the dragonfly at top and moth at bottom were fun - they were each the biggest bastards I'd ever seen, and they were so fearless (or scared stiff) that they let me get right on top of them for multiple shots.

Neat thing about butterflies: they're faster than light. Or something. When a butterfly's perched he'll spend a lot of his time slowly opening and closing his wings, so you time it to get the shot with his wings open. But over and over again they keep beating me - I'll time it perfectly, take the shot, and when I preview it I'll see that their wings are closed. Sometimes I'll just take my eye off the viewfinder completely and watch what's happening, and sure enough - as soon as I hit the shutter their wings snap shut, faster than the camera can take the picture. It's fascinating. And it's only with wild butterflies that that happens. I shot hundreds of them in a butterfly exhibit and didn't have that problem; guess they were used to it.

The evilest dragonfly:

An arachnophobe's nightmare:

Ladybugs: not as cute/friendly in real life:

brb wailin on dad posted:

Ok speaking of tripods: people posting bomb-rear end bug shots in this thread what are you using? Handheld or tripod? AF or manual? Live view or viewfinder?
Handheld, manual focus, viewfinder. Handheld because I don't have the patience/skill to use a tripod, manual focus because when your depth of field is in millimeters it's much easier just to set the focus somewhere and move the camera where you need it, and viewfinder because I just haven't played around with live view much, although I should.

Raikiri
Nov 3, 2008
Lovely shots Jackpot.

Shot at 2:1 lifeize, click for a much larger version (1920x1080) :)

Edit: Is this loading for anyone? No hosts seem to be working for me.

Raikiri fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Mar 2, 2010

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

broken here :(

Henchman 21
Apr 3, 2005

HENCH 4 LIFE

Raikiri posted:

Lovely shots Jackpot.

Shot at 2:1 lifeize, click for a much larger version (1920x1080) :)

use https://www.waffleimages.com or flickr

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

jackpot posted:

Handheld, manual focus, viewfinder. Handheld because I don't have the patience/skill to use a tripod, manual focus because when your depth of field is in millimeters it's much easier just to set the focus somewhere and move the camera where you need it, and viewfinder because I just haven't played around with live view much, although I should.

This is how I plan on it. Eagerly awaiting a new macro lens in the mail. No bug is safe! Those shots are great, looking forward to making my own :)

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

Raikiri posted:

I think this is what you were trying to post, and by the way it's awesome :)

Raikiri
Nov 3, 2008

jackpot posted:

I think this is what you were trying to post, and by the way it's awesome :)

Ah, can't embed a URL. Thanks :)

Here's the full size version:

Click here for the full 1920x1080 image.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

jackpot posted:

An arachnophobe's nightmare:

I have nothing against spiders (I helped a jumping spider get out of harm's way when I was taking a shower yesterday) but that picture is still very :aaa:

Just curious, do any of you use autofocus?

Raikiri
Nov 3, 2008

Pompous Rhombus posted:

I have nothing against spiders (I helped a jumping spider get out of harm's way when I was taking a shower yesterday) but that picture is still very :aaa:

That's actually an opilione (harvestman) :science: Jumping spiders are relatively cute, as far as spiders go.

As for AF... not really, I probably would more with the Canon 100mm as it's far quicker and quiter than my Tamron but even then not often.

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

Raikiri posted:

Jumping spiders are relatively cute, as far as spiders go.

Some of my more popular macro shots are of Jumpers :3:

Disco Jumper

The "Midlife Crisis" species

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Some amazing photos in this thread!

Quick question about cheapo light boxes...

What's the best material to use for the sides to let the light in? One guide I found said tracing paper but I'm not sure about how to get that. Can I substitute in parchment paper (used in baking)? Is there something else I can use that's better?

slearch
Dec 10, 2006

Just a spider shot, but I love the pose for some reason:

u got mares in yr house
Feb 23, 2001

Pompous Rhombus posted:

I find AF pretty pointless with macro. The depth of field is so narrow you can never be sure exactly where the focus point lies, especially when the AF brackets obscure so much of the view. I have had some success with AF-C when shooting moving insects, though it mostly comes down to shooting wildly and hoping the eyes are in focus. vv

InternetJunky posted:

Some amazing photos in this thread!

Quick question about cheapo light boxes...

What's the best material to use for the sides to let the light in? One guide I found said tracing paper but I'm not sure about how to get that. Can I substitute in parchment paper (used in baking)? Is there something else I can use that's better?
I don't see why not. Whatever you do don't use regular A4 paper, as the blue dye they put in it to make the paper seem whiter can really mess up your white balance. I just use a plastic storage bin.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
I am going to resurrect the HELL out of critterquest in about a week. Probably be warm enough here by that point to go out and nab some nifty pics with a new macro lens woooo.

Leshy
Jun 21, 2004

diarrhea for girls posted:

The "Midlife Crisis" species

It took me a while to register that that probably is a toy motorbike.

:cry:

Raikiri
Nov 3, 2008

Stew Man Chew posted:

I am going to resurrect the HELL out of critterquest in about a week. Probably be warm enough here by that point to go out and nab some nifty pics with a new macro lens woooo.

It's still bloody freezing here, just took the dog out and it's like being in STALKER.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Stay in crop factor, guys. The one real area I see a significant difference in is macro photography since I went full frame. Love all these shots.

dunos
Feb 6, 2007

I refuse to be part of your furry fantasies
I want to try a bit of macro so I am thinking of getting the Raynox DCR-250.

I currently have a 400D and a Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 - I assume this will all work enough to start with before spending lots of money (which I will end up doing anyway no doubt).

What am I aiming for? Lots of light and a small aperture so that I get enough DoF at the distances I am working at?

Raikiri
Nov 3, 2008

dunos posted:

I want to try a bit of macro so I am thinking of getting the Raynox DCR-250.

I currently have a 400D and a Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 - I assume this will all work enough to start with before spending lots of money (which I will end up doing anyway no doubt).

What am I aiming for? Lots of light and a small aperture so that I get enough DoF at the distances I am working at?

Usually shoot at f/11 to f/13. To get enough light I've got the flash off camera:

Excuse the phone pics, only other camera I've got.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
Why the ballsacks are off-camera flash cords so expensive? I'd like to set up something like what you have for my vivitar 285 but... yeah. $69 for a wee extension cord? Not in the budget right now.

Raikiri
Nov 3, 2008

Stew Man Chew posted:

Why the ballsacks are off-camera flash cords so expensive? I'd like to set up something like what you have for my vivitar 285 but... yeah. $69 for a wee extension cord? Not in the budget right now.

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.19612

Yay for cheap labour. I use the same one, works perfectly (assuming you use Canon).

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

I'm sorry for the noobish question -- even if I take macro shots on a tripod I need to set the picture to go off in timed mode because I find I end up shaking the camera far too much when I press the button to take the picture. Is there something that exists like a remote that I can use with my camera (Canon Rebel XS) to snap the picture instead?

That off camera flash cord looks like a great idea.

Raikiri
Nov 3, 2008

InternetJunky posted:

I'm sorry for the noobish question -- even if I take macro shots on a tripod I need to set the picture to go off in timed mode because I find I end up shaking the camera far too much when I press the button to take the picture. Is there something that exists like a remote that I can use with my camera (Canon Rebel XS) to snap the picture instead?

There's a number of wired and wireless on the site I posted: http://www.dealextreme.com/search.dx/search.canon%20remote

Also use mirror lockup, in custom functions.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

InternetJunky posted:

Yes. http://www.amazon.com/Remote-Release-Canon-XSi-Pentax/dp/B001G9Y98I/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=hpc&qid=1267638151&sr=8-2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

Raikiri posted:

You know, if you could securely attach a gorillapod onto your wooden bracket you could really get some flexibility with that setup.