Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
:neckbeard: So after a few days of furiously F5ing the postal service's website my Sigma 150mm macro showed up yesterday.

By the time I picked it up it was dark out and I spent the evening getting mostly terribly blurry shots of mundane apartment objects in XTREEM CLOSEUP. I finally jury-rigged a lightbox with my desklamps and managed to snap a few pictures... which I left on my home computer. :doh:

I've never really shot at f/11 and lower before, the amount of light it takes is ridiculous. The lens is INCREDIBLE, though, and for the money I spent on it very lightly used I'm extremely pleased.

Also it weighs more than my flash/camera combined. Time to develop some steady hands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sanka
Aug 23, 2008

About using a tripod. I've never done it, it's far too cumbersome. But a good monopod is awesome. It really stabilizes you while also allowing you to do quite a bit of movement to capture moving subjects.

I just attach it to the camera and carry it collapsed. I can drop the leg down to shooting level in seconds and be fully stabilized. I bought mine for under $20 a few years ago and it's one of the best purchases I've made for in-the-wild macro photography.

orange lime
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl
I've found that if your tripod has locking legs of the right type, you can convert it into a monopod (albeit a heavy one) by only extending one leg at a time. But I entirely agree that you need to move to get macro shots -- besides the obvious issue of moving subjects, I find that 90% of the time I end up moving the camera, rather than the lens, to stay in focus. It's somehow easier to find that critical point if you're moving the whole camera around.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
What about a gorillapod? Seems to be quickly adjustable and relatively light / not cumbersome. Definitely a monopod will probably be my next equipment purchase.

Fucktard Idiot
Oct 8, 2007

If you use a reversing adapter the focus ring doesn't really do anything so for scrubs like me moving the camera or subject to focus is the only option.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Raikiri posted:

Excuse the phone pics, only other camera I've got.

Anyone know of any good flash brackets like that? My lens with hood is ~8 inches long.

dunos
Feb 6, 2007

I refuse to be part of your furry fantasies
Thanks for the advice. Using the Raynox was a lot harder than I thought it was going to be. The DoF is really shallow even with a tiny aperture. Here is one of my first attempts:

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

dunos posted:

Thanks for the advice. Using the Raynox was a lot harder than I thought it was going to be. The DoF is really shallow even with a tiny aperture. Here is one of my first attempts:

Nice. I love getting close up shots of tech stuff.

Wooten
Oct 4, 2004

Here's one from a monopoly set I did for shits and giggles. I lit it with bounce flash off the ceiling and it shows. I'm really considering a ring flash.

Lord Fizzlebottom
May 3, 2005

I will show you wonderful, terrible things
I just built a small light tent the other day. I really have to figure out a better lighting scheme, because I'm getting shadows all over the place.

Here's the setup

The bulbs are something like 23w (120w equivalent) daylight floodlights. The lamps are 8.5" aluminum cones on clamps. The bulbs are jutting way out of the lamps, which doesn't allow them to reflect at all. They're just too directional, so I have to try and find some bright as hell helical daylight bulbs. A light coming from the top will help with shadows as well and really fill things out.

Anyways, here are a few shots I just took.

Toy soldiers

My [dusty] Pentax K1000

The only magnet letters we have that haven't been chewed by the dog

You can see shadows everywhere which must be eliminated if I want to give the idea of an infinite white background. Do you guys think brighter reflective lights as well as a top light will help that out?

u got mares in yr house
Feb 23, 2001

Try moving the lamp further away from the side panel. The closer it is the more light passes straight through rather than hitting the panel and diffusing. You'll probably have to increase exposure time to compensate for the light loss, but your light will be softer.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Just wanted to let you guys know that I'll be happy to take a stab at identifying any of the bugs posted in this thread.

Soon it's time for the next Critterquest thread, full of bugs, spiders and other tiny wildlife!

Tongsy
Aug 22, 2007
I'm waiting for my Canon 100mm f2.8 to show up, should be here tomorrow if all goes well, and this weekend will be full of shooting flowers and bugs if i can get outside ot find some (supposed to rain all weekend, boo)

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

axolotl farmer posted:

Just wanted to let you guys know that I'll be happy to take a stab at identifying any of the bugs posted in this thread.

Soon it's time for the next Critterquest thread, full of bugs, spiders and other tiny wildlife!

Eagerly awaiting this. Weather's been craptacular for weekends here but this weekend looks golden! And I'll be going to South Carolina as well next weekend, time to get out along some river beds.

sanka
Aug 23, 2008

I can't wait, nature macros are 99% of what I do.

Whoa Now
Dec 20, 2008

Whoa Now fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Apr 5, 2010

Fucktard Idiot
Oct 8, 2007

Can somebody give me some knowledge about extension tubes vs reversing rings? Can you still use the manual focus with a tube?

Whoa Now
Dec 20, 2008

Yeah you can, I would imagine that the tube provides more versatility. As with the three different adjustable lengths of the tube (the cheap one that I have at least), and being able to adjust focus, there's a lot of different options as to where your tiny sweet spot can be.

I would imagine with the lens flipped backwards you only have one possible focus spot, and you have to move around to find it? I don't really know anything about reversing.

Fucktard Idiot
Oct 8, 2007

Whoa Now posted:

Yeah you can, I would imagine that the tube provides more versatility. As with the three different adjustable lengths of the tube (the cheap one that I have at least), and being able to adjust focus, there's a lot of different options as to where your tiny sweet spot can be.

I would imagine with the lens flipped backwards you only have one possible focus spot, and you have to move around to find it? I don't really know anything about reversing.

Yeah that's right. I have a reversing ring cause it was only $4 but I see tubes on ebay for like $7, shipped. With the ring you have to move the camera to focus so being able to use MF would be a big improvement.

nummy
Feb 15, 2007
Eat a bowl of fuck.
I'm interested in extension tubes as well. I was thinking of the DCR250 until I realized it would only fit on one of my lenses (50mm 1.8). I have a Tamron 70-200 2.8 and a Tamron 28-75 2.8, and both have filter diameters larger than the max for the DCR's.

That said, if I get an extension tube, what lens would it work best with? 70-200 for more working room?

I'm sure I'll end up with a macro lens at some point, but until then I would like to at least get my feet wet.

Studebaker Hawk
May 22, 2004

nummy posted:

I'm interested in extension tubes as well. I was thinking of the DCR250 until I realized it would only fit on one of my lenses (50mm 1.8). I have a Tamron 70-200 2.8 and a Tamron 28-75 2.8, and both have filter diameters larger than the max for the DCR's.

That said, if I get an extension tube, what lens would it work best with? 70-200 for more working room?

I'm sure I'll end up with a macro lens at some point, but until then I would like to at least get my feet wet.

Try a step up/down ring?

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

For a ghetto macro/ringlight, I tried shooting through my magnifying work light at work and got decent pictures.

Work light similar to what I used
http://www.officedepot.com/a/produc...r:referralID=NA

Example picture

Now it's time to use that Raynox ring I got last week.

Stew Man Chew posted:

What about a gorillapod? Seems to be quickly adjustable and relatively light / not cumbersome. Definitely a monopod will probably be my next equipment purchase.

Cyberbob
Mar 29, 2006
Prepare for doom. doom. doooooom. doooooom.
Yay for waterdrops.

Shot with a very simplistic Nikon D60 + kit 15-55mm f3.5 lens with offcamera sb-600.

My Sigma 70-200 f2.8 would have been preferable, but it was simply too heavy for the Gorillapod :(

Cyberbob fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Mar 21, 2010

Pneumatic Toaster
Mar 23, 2008
Experimenting with my new Nikkor 105mm macro

This thread has also inspired me to bust out my old Minolta extension bellows. Hopefully I'll get film developed and scanned in a timely manner for sharing purposes.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

I love shooting macro stuff, both insects with a 100mm Canon

and super closeups with the 100mm and a reversal ring and a home made lightbox

Need to get a flash this year I feel

edit: argh pics wont link

edit2: fixed, but guy below me has kindly reposted them so I don't want to post them twice

Alctel fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Mar 24, 2010

orange lime
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl

Alctel posted:

<html>

You can't post HTML here. However, out of the goodness of my heart I have converted your code.

and super closeups with the 100mm and a reversal ring and a home made lightbox

(great photos btw)

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Thanks - I reinstalled my machine and forgot I had a greasemonkey extension that does the conversion for me. Fixed now!

Tongsy posted:

I'm waiting for my Canon 100mm f2.8 to show up, should be here tomorrow if all goes well, and this weekend will be full of shooting flowers and bugs if i can get outside ot find some (supposed to rain all weekend, boo)

Have fun, I want to marry mine. Although its hot new relative, the IS version has me drooling

Alctel fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Mar 24, 2010

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<

Cyberbob posted:

These are gorgeous; I don't suppose you took a picture of what your setup looked like?

orange lime posted:

The detail in this is insane, jesus.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Anyone shooting with the Raynox DCR-250? If so how do you like it?

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
That pencil tip is also incredible, the sharpness, :psyduck:

Dear The Weather, please be nice in Souf Carolina this weekend.

Thanks, your friend Stu.

Tongsy
Aug 22, 2007

Alctel posted:

Have fun, I want to marry mine. Although its hot new relative, the IS version has me drooling

I had the IS version before, I ended up returning it to the store because I didn't feel like the IS was good enough to justify the 200% premium over a used USM non-IS.

But yeah, it's probably my favourite lens that i have now.

sanka
Aug 23, 2008

Phat_Albert posted:

I shoot with the Raynox DCR-150 and 250. I use them mostly on my Panasonic FZ8, a 12x superzoom point and shoot. You can even get a 43-49mm step ring and stack them for crazy close macros. I love them, I think they're awesome. They are worth every penny. Some samples.

I haven't really messed around with them on my DSLR, since I have a 105mm macro, but the few times I have it's worked fine. Seems to work best in the 70-100mm range. If I were going to use one on a DSLR, I would definitely go with the DCR-150, the 250 is OK, but unforgiving.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The longest lens I have is a 55mm, does that make a difference in choosing the 150 or 250.

u got mares in yr house
Feb 23, 2001

fuzzies

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

MrFrosty, you're rocking the Raynox, no? Whats your preference, 150 or 250?

u got mares in yr house
Feb 23, 2001

Can't really say, I've never used the 150.

I just mounted the DCR-250 on the Nikon 18-55 kit lens and shot this at 55mm. Please excuse the fact that it's not all in focus, it was hard to come at a perfect right angle without breaking out the tripod.

Click here for the full 1920x1275 image.

Anyway, that's approximately 40 mm on a sensor about 21 mm across, making a magnification ratio of 1:2 on a crop body camera. Not terrible, but not "true" 1:1 macro either. Since the only difference between the 150 and the 250 seems to be the diopter(going by the specs at least), I'd probably go with the 250 if the 18-55 is the longest lens you've got.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Tongsy posted:

I had the IS version before, I ended up returning it to the store because I didn't feel like the IS was good enough to justify the 200% premium over a used USM non-IS.

But yeah, it's probably my favourite lens that i have now.

Oh really? That helps make me less jealous, I thought it'd be great for shooting insects

sanka
Aug 23, 2008

Phat_Albert posted:

I did have a pic in my inventory with a DCR-250 on my DSLR. This is a Raynox DCR-250 mounted on a Canon 50mm prime. It's not super close, but this is the range of zoom you'll be getting at 50mm. Crystal loving clear though. Check it in original size for mega detail.

Full image

It certainly helps that the 50mm prime is razor sharp, but you can see the Raynox doesn't hurt it at all.

I also had a shot of a DCR-150 stacked on my Sigma 105mm macro. Also sharp as a razor, and a must see at original size.

Full Image

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

I am extremely impressed with the DCR-250 from what I see in this thread, I may have to buy one and stick it on my Canon 100mm since its probably a lot easier than fiddling around with the reversal ring in the lightbox (which is what I do now).

I also can't wait till the bugs come out - last year I shot entirely in natural light, but thinking of picking up a flash this year (like a 430ex or something) and then making my own flash bracket.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sanka
Aug 23, 2008

So I found a little Wolf spider, the first spider of the year for me, for a few comparison shots with my Sigma 105mm macro on my Canon XTi and my Panasonic FZ8, with and without my Raynox Lenses.

Pics are a little big, but it shows you the details. The spider is a Wolf Spider (Hogna sp. I think) and was about 3/8" in diameter including legs.

First, Sigma 105mm macro on my Canon XTi.

And Sigma 105mm with the Raynox DCR-150 on my XTi.

Now my Panasonic FZ8 with the Raynox DCR-150 and DCR-250 stacked, zoomed to fit frame (about 4-5x).

And last Panasonic FZ8 with the DCR 150 and 250, stacked, and zoomed in all the way (12x).

I should note that for the Panasonic FZ8 shots I used a styrafoam bowl as a flash diffuser, it works awesome BTW, as you can see. It didn't fit on my Sigma 105mm lense, and when I tried I broke it in half. Had I made a new one it would have had much better fill flash and the Sigma shots would probably have been much sharper and better lit. I had an uncooperative subject though, so I didn't have time to make one.