Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cyberbob
Mar 29, 2006
Prepare for doom. doom. doooooom. doooooom.

jackpot posted:

These are gorgeous; I don't suppose you took a picture of what your setup looked like?

You're in luck dude, here.

I was using a piece of white card at the time I took those above shots, so it was just the white balance that makes them look blue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orange lime
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl

sanka posted:

First, Sigma 105mm macro on my Canon XTi.

Out of curiosity, do you kill or knock out the spiders before you try to photograph them? It sure looks like the same pose in each case, and I can't imagine you getting a live insect to reliably stay still enough.

sanka
Aug 23, 2008

I generally pop them in the freezer for a few minutes to slow them down. You have about a minute to shoot them then before they get warmed up and all walky on you. That's most of the reason I use fluorescent bulbs instead of incandescent, the heat, they warm up really fast under incandescent.

This gal had two separate trips into the ice box, about 3 minutes each. I've investigated using CO2 gas like the entomologists do, but I can't find a way to slowly release CO2 gas from a little air gun cartridge. I'm not going to bother with a big rear end bottle of it. I wish I could slowly release CO2 from them, but I don't know how. The freezer seems to work fine.

Also the poses are very slightly different, if you look at the palps. Except for the Panasonic FZ8 images. I took a shot in frame, then zoomed in quick before it could move again. I assure you she was running around on my desk before I re-caught her and released her.

I release all my captive subjects alive.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Cooling insects down is probably a better method than knocking them out with CO2. A knocked out insect loses its natural pose and will fall down and curl up their legs.

If you want to try it, you can use dry ice as the source.

u got mares in yr house
Feb 23, 2001

Hey axolotl farmer could you take a crack at IDing this? Looks like a huntsman to me based upon on my limited knowledge, but the front legs look too long?

Sorry if you find the reflection distracting, I was trying something new.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

MrFrosty posted:

Hey axolotl farmer could you take a crack at IDing this? Looks like a huntsman to me based upon on my limited knowledge, but the front legs look too long?

Could be the Green lynx Spider Peucetia viridans

http://bugguide.net/node/view/2032/bgpage
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peucetia_viridans

Lord Fizzlebottom
May 3, 2005

I will show you wonderful, terrible things
Spring time is finally here in upstate NY!

I took a few quick macro[ish] shots today with my rigged setup: Nikon D40 attached to the 18-55 kit lens & Pentax 55mm Auto-Takumar flipped. For the first time trying macro, I'm seeing what good sunlight can do for a shot. This is my favorite of the group.

It's still a tad on the dark side, but the flower [actually a weed] has colors popping out everywhere. I think it works OK.

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

and that's how you get ants.

MrFrosty posted:

Good god, I love that style. It actually looks like a 3d render. I hope you can find all sorts of creepy crawlies to photograph like that. In regards to the ID, I agree with axolotl farmer on it being a Green lynx. I don't see them around here too much, I ran across two or three last year and they're quite cool looking and easy to photograph so I'm hoping to see more this year.

My most recent macro isn't too exciting, just a dandelion before I mowed over it, haha. 40D/Sigma 105mm:

wait a minute honey
May 12, 2006

50D, Sigma 105mm lens, so hard doing macro handheld!

u got mares in yr house
Feb 23, 2001

axolotl farmer posted:

Could be the Green lynx Spider Peucetia viridans
:doh: I made that post in a hurry and typed huntsman when I meant green lynx. I too strongly suspect it's a green lynx but again, I can't get over how freaky the legs are in mine.

diarrhea for girls posted:

Good god, I love that style. It actually looks like a 3d render. I hope you can find all sorts of creepy crawlies to photograph like that. In regards to the ID, I agree with axolotl farmer on it being a Green lynx. I don't see them around here too much, I ran across two or three last year and they're quite cool looking and easy to photograph so I'm hoping to see more this year.

My most recent macro isn't too exciting, just a dandelion before I mowed over it, haha. 40D/Sigma 105mm:

Aw thanks. My setup was actually pretty simple, I put it on a small mirror with a flash firing through a diffuser panel held up against one side at a 45º angle. Nice dandelion too. :)

Brainwrong
Mar 20, 2004

RIP Bobby K
Poland's Rose. Like a cabbage in the wind.
A macro thread? Cool, that means I can join in

LuisX
Aug 4, 2004
Sword Chuck, yo!
So what would be the best route for me? I have a Canon 50mm 1.4, and I will like to get either an extension tube or ring, whichever is convenient.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

(note the parasite on its neck)

This one was taken with a reversed 50mm 1.4 using a ring. Keep in mind that while you get decent sharpness and magnification, you are quite limited on the focusing distance. This beetle, for instance, is bigger than the frame so I went the artsy fartsy route that allowed me to show its interesting features and hide the harsh shadows I caused for not having a ringflash.

This one was taken with a Sigma 17-70mm Macro. It allows me a decent minimum focusing distance but I don't get much magnification out of it.

nerdz fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Apr 6, 2010

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Brainwrong posted:

A macro thread? Cool, that means I can join in

Ahahaha, fantastic!

thevoiceofdog
Jul 19, 2009

Terminally ambivalent.
There's some really excellent stuff in this thread. I got to shoot with a macro for the first time a couple of weeks ago, it's incredibly fun. Unfortunately I didn't have a tripod so the ISO on these is way too high, which is a shame.

Click here for the full 720x480 image.

Click here for the full 720x480 image.

Found a number of bloody feathers in the woods, but no carcass. Any advice on how to improve this stuff besides the obvious tripod issue is very welcome.

thevoiceofdog fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Apr 7, 2010

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Just got this contraption in the mail yesterday:

Haven't had a chance to test it out much yet but I think it's going to help me get a lot more keepers. It's fairly heavy and awkward though.

orange lime
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl

InternetJunky posted:

Haven't had a chance to test it out much yet but I think it's going to help me get a lot more keepers. It's fairly heavy and awkward though.

What is the name of such a contraption? It looks useful.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

orange lime posted:

What is the name of such a contraption? It looks useful.
Universal Macro Flash Bracket

Fucktard Idiot
Oct 8, 2007

LuisX posted:

So what would be the best route for me? I have a Canon 50mm 1.4, and I will like to get either an extension tube or ring, whichever is convenient.

From all the example pics I've seen I'd say, in order of priority 1) Raynox DCR-250 2) Extension tubes 3) Ring

sanka
Aug 23, 2008

A few from today:

Shore Tiger Beetle (Cicindela repanda)
Raynox DCR-150 mounted on a Panasonic FZ8

More Info

Thin-Legged Wolf Spider (Pardosa sp.)
Raynox DCR-250 and DCR-150, stacked and mounted on a Panasonic FZ8

More Info

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!
Question for all of you, I want to start trying out macro photography, however I have been practicing my manual focus and I'm just terrible, I can't seem to get the right focus often handholding. I have an XTi so it may either be the lack of a focusing screen, the fact that the diopter isn't a perfect correction for my glasses, and the small viewfinder.

Do any of you have advice for practicing/getting a better hang of manual focus?

Edit: I was practicing manual because it seems to be recommended for macro shots that you set up the focus manually. The diopter is currently set to maximum in one direction so either I need to use the viewfinder with glasses or get a better diopter?

Blindeye fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Apr 11, 2010

sanka
Aug 23, 2008

Why are you using manual focus? Any particular reason? I almost always shoot auto-focus on my XTi.

Anyway, first I'd calibrate your diopter. Do this on a tripod. Take a shot you think is in focus, then look at it on the screen. Zoom in on screen and see if it really is. Repeat until the diopter matches focus.

Second, if you're shooting manual I'd learn what I call the wobble method. You get something fairly close to focus, then you lean just a bit in or out to get that crisp focus, then shoot. Often if I'm in a difficult spot I'll put my camera on multi-shoot and just hold the button while I "wobble" a bit back and forth.

Learning this method also really helps you time shots when there's wind. Also, get a monopod. it will help you keep steady out in the field immensely.

sanka fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Apr 11, 2010

Raikiri
Nov 3, 2008

sanka posted:

Why are you using manual focus? Any particular reason? I almost always shoot auto-focus on my XTi.

Manual is usually the best for macro, in my opinion. AF generally isn't quite accurate enough at high mag.

Few shots from the other day:

Won't be taking any more for a little while though, due to a slight injury.

Fuuuuckkkkkk :/

Hop Pocket
Sep 23, 2003

You jerks just cost me $5xx. Really looking forward to the 100mm macro lens coming. Am thinking about starting a 365 macro project.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

InternetJunky posted:

I am thinking about getting one of these. Let me know how it is

sanka
Aug 23, 2008

Pardosa sp. Wolf Spiders, male and female:

Male:

More Info

Female:

More Info

The female was about twice the size of the male

sanka fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Apr 20, 2010

Whoa Now
Dec 20, 2008

I will never understand how you fuckers even look into your viewfinders when doing this, let alone put spiders in your freezer and then handle them until they thaw back to life. I always scroll through this thread half looking away from the screen.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
I was all stoked to shoot in the Duke Gardens when I was back on campus this weekend, but lo and behold I roll in and the terrace, koi lake and new flowerbeds are all loving closed off for renovations. And of course now that I'm back in Dallas, it's 57 degrees and raining.

Swear to god I'll get some snaps for this thread eventually. My macro lens has been acting as a $500 counterweight for my shoulder bag :(

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<

Blindeye posted:

Do any of you have advice for practicing/getting a better hang of manual focus?
Manual is just one of those things you have to practice. Some do fine using autofocus, but for me personally I've found it's usually easier just to pre-focus and then (slowly, ever so slowly) move my body forward and backward as I need it. If AF works for you then go for it; just put it on AI-servo, set your focus point where you want it, and good luck. Focusing's a bitch either way when you're that close.

Raikiri posted:

Won't be taking any more for a little while though, due to a slight injury.

Fuuuuckkkkkk :/
I'm counting five fingers and they seem to still be in the right order...?

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

Don't tap on the fucking glass!
I swear to god I'll cut off your fucking fingers and feed them to the otters for enrichment.

jackpot posted:

I'm counting five fingers and they seem to still be in the right order...?

He appears to have a fat right hand. Not sure how having sausage fingers counts as an injury, but that's just me.

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

And sometimes is seen a strange spot in the sky
A human being that was given to fly

William T. Hornaday posted:

He appears to have a fat right hand. Not sure how having sausage fingers counts as an injury, but that's just me.

I think it is pretty safe to assume that he injured his hand in some way that caused some pretty nasty swelling. If that is the case, then movement in the had could be very painful.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Alright guys take this technical mumbo jumbo to the goon doctor forum.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Hey there lil guy!

I was knocking around the park today, and I had just a few seconds to screw a +2 closeup filter onto my 55mm to catch this. I'd love to get an actual macro lens.

Also, a chiton hangs out with barnacles just out of the water in some tide pools, Santa Monica:

fronkpies
Apr 30, 2008

You slithered out of your mother's filth.

a foolish pianist posted:

Hey there lil guy!

Did anyone else call these "money spiders" when they where kids?

(and sometimes squash them?)

Raikiri
Nov 3, 2008

William T. Hornaday posted:

No, but a minor triquetral fracture does :)

fronkpies posted:

Did anyone else call these "money spiders" when they where kids?

(and sometimes squash them?)

Nope, always called those tiny little brown ones money spiders. These were just ticks (although, I now know they're velvet mites).

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

The little red creature is a mite, velvet mite family Trombidiidae.

Money spider is a common name for the spiders of the family Linyphiidae. They are small, dark and shiny. If you see lots of little horizontal messy webs in tall grass or bushes after a rain, their probably made by Linyphiids.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
My coworkers ivies in his office are COVERED in messy fine webs with wee bugs around 0.3mm tall, and I'm thinking it's something to do with these kind of mites. My first thought was YES A MACRO SUBJECT but they're just TOO tiny.

Stregone
Sep 1, 2006
Have any of you guys used any of the different ~200mm macro lenses? I've always kinda wanted one, but its a really niche lens...

Raikiri
Nov 3, 2008

Stregone posted:

Have any of you guys used any of the different ~200mm macro lenses? I've always kinda wanted one, but its a really niche lens...

I've used the Sigma 180mm, it's a nice lens and has a much better working distance than my 90mm. Never used a 200mm Macro, although I imagine the difference is minimal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sanka
Aug 23, 2008

I've used the 200mm Nikon f/4 macro at work. It's very nice, and the working distance is around a half mile. That said it's very, very heavy. I don't mind hiking around with my 105mm on a monopod, but with that 200mm it would really suck.