Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae
I haven't followed much macro stuff but I subscribed to his channel but I never actually watch. I saw him do a l bee post at the same time. Felt like your skills are tremendous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

Viginti Septem posted:

I haven't followed much macro stuff but I subscribed to his channel but I never actually watch. I saw him do a l bee post at the same time. Felt like your skills are tremendous.

Thanks!

Dia de Pikachutos
Nov 8, 2012

Awww yisss that's the poo poo

Does the mpe65 record the effective or nominal aperture in the exif data? Because thats some phenomenal composition to get that apparent DOF at f13 effective past 0.5x

Amazing work, as always

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
If I can't focus stack or focus bracket in camera. What's the best technique for taking pictures for focus stacking later. This would be handheld.

I can set my focus manually and slowly pull and push the focus while bursting, or is it better to keep the focus the same and rock back and forth?

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

Dia de Pikachutos posted:

Awww yisss that's the poo poo

Does the mpe65 record the effective or nominal aperture in the exif data? Because thats some phenomenal composition to get that apparent DOF at f13 effective past 0.5x

Amazing work, as always

Thanks, Canon always stores nominal so that's really about f/26

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

Mega Comrade posted:

If I can't focus stack or focus bracket in camera. What's the best technique for taking pictures for focus stacking later. This would be handheld.

I can set my focus manually and slowly pull and push the focus while bursting, or is it better to keep the focus the same and rock back and forth?

It's probably best to rock the whole system.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

A far cry from the excellence of the bees and hoverflies, but

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Mega Comrade posted:

I've always kept focus the same and pushed in. I don't use burst, the sound makes me want to push too fast.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Dia de Pikachutos
Nov 8, 2012

Cross posting from the critterquest thread:

60 shots / 2x @ f4, 1/4s

The composition is fairly awful, but I did it in a hurry because it's a live critter and it was on my lunch break

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae
You know, as far as the composition goes, call me crazy, but I feel like a little off the top?

You've got a pretty solid shot here 😎

Viginti Septem fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Jul 24, 2023

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana
Grinch-rear end mfer

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
I was out yesterday with my Nikon Z 24-120 trying to photograph some flowers up close. I couldn't get a single thing in focus. I was playing around with the numbers today on my DOF calculator and it looks like at 120mm focal length, 12" focal distance, f/22, I can only get 0.2" of DOF. If I'm outside in the wind, I'm basically just setting the focus to manual, taking a ton of exposures, and hoping one of them blows the flower into focus?

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
Yeah the closer you get to the subject the smaller your DOF

That lens is a 0.39x magnification at MFD from what I read.

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
Picked up my second prime tonight - the Sony FE 90mm 2.8 G that has been around for some time. Thought it would be nice to have something I could use for portraits but also experiment with macro. Well it is night time and I'm not waiting for day so here are some shots from around the house. Tomorrow there will be insects!

That plant is very cool and has a silver-looking leaf without processing. Shame the cats always want to eat it...

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
Macro is pretty difficult - nailing that focus takes super small adjustments. Especially tough when it is hot as heck out and you really don't want to get that low! Respect, boys. Here are my first round of insects. Didn't have any clouds today for more diffused lighting like I was reading about in here : (

Incredulous Dylan fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Aug 7, 2023

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Can anybody recommend a good diffuser? Seems that most of the popular ones are from homemade 3rd printed ones that are hard to buy. I tried to contact that CygnusTech guy but he never replies to messages.

Are there any alternatives that are actually easy to purchase?

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

I have a Gary Fong lightshpere, and I am happy enough.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Man this stuff is HARD. Fun though.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

You got the focus where it counts and got a nice composition too. No mean feat.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

A got a few more spot on but was just bug butts so not very interesting. Sadly all the other ones didn't work out, the wind was not helping.

Also how on earth do you do Ants? Those bastards do not stop moving.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Mega Comrade posted:

A got a few more spot on but was just bug butts so not very interesting. Sadly all the other ones didn't work out, the wind was not helping.

Yes, ants in close-up are nigh on impossible to photograph as they are so drat fast.

Nikon D7000, Tamron 90mm, SB-600 & RayFlash and the longest of a cheap manual macro tube set (manfrotto tripod). Set up on the trunk of a pear tree where there was a steady stream on ants traveling up and down. Took so drat long to get focus and then get the right moment.

spookygonk fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Aug 11, 2023

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Mega Comrade posted:

Patience, take lots of shots,

Get something to hold the ant

Get the ant to hold something

Get lucky

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Mega Comrade posted:

Man this stuff is HARD. Fun though.

"DOOT"

King Sexy
Jul 30, 2004

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
I gave up on ants, they are super hard mode

Hoverfly on Lily 2 by Aves Lux, on Flickr

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

You said dis place was fun, but it ain't!
I love all of these! From up here it's easy to forget just how HAIRY bugs are.

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
The power of the sun... in the palm of my hand

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Very cool.

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae
Wow!

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
drat that's amazing!

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

You said dis place was fun, but it ain't!
Love that brindle coloring, but it's weird how CUTE the eyes make it - the bottom set looks like a nose, and it gives it a teddy bear face.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Spitting spiders are just cute. My daughter completed the picture on one a few years ago.

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
I just don’t know how to feel about that one!

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

bugs from the backyard

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Slotducks posted:

bugs from the backyard

Love this color contrast

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Sorry for the image dump, but it's been a while since I posted. I have way too many photos to edit in my backlog hah

So here are some ants.

And a spider

And whatever this is. A wasp?

And a couple of bees.

And a fruit fly.