Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
I found my Raynox super macro thing (it's all busted and the clips that hold it to the lens just fly off if you're not careful with it) and bought a cheap diffuser. Then I bothered my cat and a spider. It's the Canon 100/2.8 and a 430ex on a 90D otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

jarlywarly posted:

Nice, macro, the only way to really know how dirty your sensor is

Leafcutter on Globe Thistle by Aves Lux, on Flickr

Aw yeah, poo poo.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Is there any way to force the exposure simulation thing to stay on for longer on Canon cameras?

Like I have the camera on a tripod using live mode and I half-press the shutter so I can see the thing at 1/250 f22 or whatever, then I move the tripod to recompose and like six seconds later the simulation stops and I get a black screen with the UI on it again. I scoured the menu but couldn’t see any exposure simulation settings.

Edit: Of course right after this I find the context-specific menu item.

tuyop fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Aug 13, 2022

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

seravid posted:

Not sure you're actually shooting at f/22 but, just in case, you probably shouldn't. The loss of sharpness is drastic and the gain in depth of field is almost certainly not enough to be worth the trade-off. It'll also cut off a lot of ambient light you'd capture otherwise, resulting in darkened backgrounds unless they're very close to the subject (i.e. within reach of your flash) or under direct sunlight.

Nah I was exaggerating, I'm mostly shooting at f/10 to f/18.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Incredible!

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
What are people using for flash brackets? I’ve got a 90D and a 430EX if that helps.

The speed light has a little bracket mount on its side, but I can’t find the piece that’s supposed to thread into there at Henry’s or Amazon. Should I just ignore that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Helen Highwater posted:

Using that flash, and a Macro Takumar 50mm f/4 on my 5Div, I got these shots.

IMG_3020-Edit.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

IMG_0459-Edit.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

IMG_0324-Edit.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

These are gorgeous and I had no idea macro speedlights cost so much!