Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anti_Social
Jan 1, 2007

My problem is you dancing all the time
I've been wanting to do some super macro for awhile, but I wanted to get some advice from some people in here before I go out an buy a reversal ring.

I've got:
70-200 f2.8 IS
24-70 f.28
50 f1.4
10-22 3.5-4.5

I also have the Canon 500D Close-Up Filter.

What kind of focal distance would I be looking at? I'd probably want to go the 70-200 and 10-22 route, since I think that would get me the most magnification. Should I use the close-up filter, or not put it on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anti_Social
Jan 1, 2007

Haggins posted:

So far the only disadvantage I can see with using the setup is that when the filter is screwed in, you can only shoot macro. It doesn't work as a telephoto at all. Not too big of a deal if you ask me.

Yeah, it removes your ability to infinity focus. But other than that, it's pretty darn fantastic.

Anti_Social
Jan 1, 2007

seravid posted:

How "super" do you want to go? How much magnification and what kind of subjects?

Well, maybe I shouldn't have said super. I would at least a 5:1, and would like to do insect macros, as well as just trying to get super close on everyday things.

Anti_Social
Jan 1, 2007

I don't remember seeing this, but I just recognized a goon's pictures on the discovery website:

http://planetgreen.discovery.com/slideshows/home-garden/insects-up-close-really-really-personal-slideshow.html

Anti_Social
Jan 1, 2007

seravid posted:

How can you hate this little guy?

BECAUSE THEY ARE DAMNED EVERYWHERE :argh:

Anti_Social
Jan 1, 2007

I just got my sigma 105 from keh yesterday, at like new quality for $300.

unfortunately, I get a lens communication error after every shot. I have an email in to sigma to see if it needs rechipped to work with my 7D/5Dmk2.

I wanted to use it for saturdays wedding, too.

Anti_Social
Jan 1, 2007

Fasha

Anti_Social
Jan 1, 2007

Stew Man Chew posted:

That tree frog with the red eyes is an amazing shot.

Finally got the Sigma 105mm I picked up for super cheap rechipped.

This is harder than I thought it would be.

Anti_Social
Jan 1, 2007

I got a Canon 100mm Macro.

From a 5dmk2 - click for big:

The colors are a bit off, but this was just screwing around and trying my first hand at true macro / stacking, so I'm not terribly concerned.

Anti_Social
Jan 1, 2007

Mr. Despair posted:

As in literally stuck, I can't get it off. :geno:

Press it up against the bottom of a sneaker and twist. It's how I've gotten some stuck filters off before.

Anti_Social
Jan 1, 2007

Graniteman posted:

I'm pretty happy with how this turned out.

That's awesome!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anti_Social
Jan 1, 2007

Graniteman posted:

Common pill bug

spongepuppy, how are you preparing the food coloring and now the asprin? I'm imagining you are dissolving it and letting the solution dry on a glass plate or something to form crystals.

This is fantastic, and your stuff is consistently amazing.