Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

jackpot posted:

An arachnophobe's nightmare:

I have nothing against spiders (I helped a jumping spider get out of harm's way when I was taking a shower yesterday) but that picture is still very :aaa:

Just curious, do any of you use autofocus?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

orange lime posted:

So I went to the desert botanical gardens. For some reason I brought my 50mm macro instead of the 100mm, and that was frustrating as hell. I was within 3 feet of this guy, and the image you see here is still maybe a 30% crop of the full frame -- 21 megapixels is awesome but sometimes you just want to actually get closer.

I rented the 100mm macro and even it seemed too short on a 5D2 to to get much in the way of wild creatures. To fill the frame you had to get in too close, and they'd wind up running/flying away. I went to a botanical garden and all I got was one particularly ballsy fly. I haven't used it yet, but I think the 180mm macro is probably the way to go on a full frame camera.