Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Hey there lil guy!

I was knocking around the park today, and I had just a few seconds to screw a +2 closeup filter onto my 55mm to catch this. I'd love to get an actual macro lens.

Also, a chiton hangs out with barnacles just out of the water in some tide pools, Santa Monica:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Has anyone here used the Tamron 90mm 2.8? I'd like to get a decent, cheap-ish macro for knocking around tide pools this summer.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

That's a nice flower you've got, O thou spider.

Oh, hug time?

These were taken with an 18-55 kit lens and a +4 closeup filter. I took close to 50 shots to get just two this nice. I really envy you guys with nice lenses.

EDIT: Broke tables, uploaded smaller versions.

Further EDIT:

This dude here looked pretty cool, and he just hung out while I shot him:

a foolish pianist fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Apr 24, 2010

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

seravid posted:

Careful with the shutter speed, a foolish pianist. I can see some motion blur on that crane fly.

Also, I suggest you avoid using the 18-55 wide open, specially with a cheap close-up. To get the best of it, you should be around f/8. That'll give you more sharpness and more dof. Problem is, unless it's a nice and sunny day, you're going to run out of light, which brings me to my next point: using a flash.

You wouldn't depend so much on natural light and you'd be able to maintain fast shutter speeds. Put a decent diffuser on it (make one, it can be pretty fun if you like DIY) and you're golden. If you don't have a flash, the built-in can work too, with something like this : http://www.flickr.com/photos/37343448@N07/3457097986/

By the way, those are Thomisidae (crab spiders), not Salticidae (jumpers) :)

Thanks for the tips. That extender/diffuser is awesome, and I'll put one together next week. I tried to use the built-in flash on the photos above, but the subjects were always in the shadow of the lens, so natural light was all I had.

Thanks for the correction. I found my error when I was digging around whatsthatbug.com for my crane fly.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

An actual jumping spider on a drainpipe:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Merkin Muffley posted:

Nailing a photo when all you have are two lenses stuck together with electrical tape is one of the more satisfying things I've experienced...

Bootleg Macro Fun #3 by PresidentMerkinMuffley, on Flickr

What is this?