Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."

murphle posted:

A faster shutter speed to kill the overexposed areas, coupled with a fill flash to bring up the shadows. Even then it probably won't be ideal. You've got to somehow take control of that light if you're stuck shooting midday in Phoenix.

Or use a Neutral Density filter, if you have a good quality one that won't kill your IQ.

After seeing what other people were doing with it, I got a Raynox 250 adapter to use with my Voigtlander manual lenses on my Olypmus EP-1. It's a pretty compact setup for macro. I just got it a few hours ago and tried it out handheld. I look forward to taking it out with a tripod and focusing rails.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."

orange lime posted:

Is that noise, or some kind of multicolored oxidization on the metal? It looks too random to be oxidization but I've never seen noise that intense on something that bright before.

That's the actual texture/reflection of the coin in direct sunlight. I think the sky, window and some bright red curtains reflecting off of all the tiny scratches on the surface are giving that look.

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

I got a set of extension tube for the Micro 4/3 format and tried them out today.
Olympus EP-1 + M.U.K. Extension Tubes + Leica M adapter + Voigtlander Nokton 40mm f/1.4 lens.

Chive flower at f/1.4: (ridiculously thin dof but I like the colors)

The same a f/11:

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

MrFrosty posted:

Any idea what kind of magnification you're getting with that setup? I think I would kill for that kind of DOF at f/11.

I'll have to test it out on a ruler I guess. The tubes had no paperwork so I have no idea what it's doing. FYI, that flower head is about the size of a US nickel.

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

Radzin posted:

This topic finally made me buy a macro lens, and thus I captured this justice with my new toy.

I hate those bastards so it's good to see one iced. I kill about 10 a day this Winter, down from 100+ in the Autumn. They are really interesting to look at up close though. Nice capture. (also the thumbnail doesn't show up in my browser for some reason.)

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

This thread made me want to do some macro again.
It's wintertime so I'm using a softbox, LED ringlight and 2 speedlights.
I always wanted to do some really stopped down macro work. These are all at f16 or f22.

Leftover money from vacation:

I never even noticed the anti-counterfeiting imprint in the "00" before.

My fave headphones:

The ringlight looks like a neon octopus in a multicoated lens:

The lens used was the Olympus Zuiko 35/3.5 macro. No focus stacking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

the_lion posted:

I know a lot of people with Raynox dcr-250s post here, so wondering: I just bought bought one, but a bit confused how you actually attach it to the lens- using a canon 5D mark II, was hoping to attach it to my sigma 105 f2.8 or my sigma 70-300mm f4-5.6.

The diagram has it attaching what looks like a dslr without an adaptor. If it needs an adaptor, can someone point me in the right direction?

You press the tabs on the outside and there are "claws" on the inside that clamp inside the filter ring of your lens.

I took my macro lens out to a botanical garden on Sunday because I need to see some color besides "steel gray" and "dirty snow"