Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fucktard Idiot
Oct 8, 2007

LanceKulot posted:

Have you tried messing around with reverse mounting any lens? It's a quick and dirty way to get into it. At least until you find a nice macro lens which actually mounts properly on your camera.

These are from a reversed Pentax-M 50mm, handheld with ambient light. The lens was about $20 on craigslist and the reversing ring was like $5 or $6 from ebay.

I would've liked to stop the aperture down a bit more in the 2nd one but I really needed the light.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fucktard Idiot
Oct 8, 2007

diarrhea for girls posted:

I've tried using a tripod a couple of times and just can't get used to it. Most of the time my subject (insects/arachnid) will be jittery and move around quite a bit and I just can't risk bumping the branches with the tripod legs or what have you, scaring it off completely.

That's what macro focusing rails are for

Fucktard Idiot
Oct 8, 2007

Ok speaking of tripods: people posting bomb-rear end bug shots in this thread what are you using? Handheld or tripod? AF or manual? Live view or viewfinder?

It does seem like it would be really loving hard to shoot a bug with a tripod.

Fucktard Idiot
Oct 8, 2007

If you use a reversing adapter the focus ring doesn't really do anything so for scrubs like me moving the camera or subject to focus is the only option.

Fucktard Idiot
Oct 8, 2007

Can somebody give me some knowledge about extension tubes vs reversing rings? Can you still use the manual focus with a tube?

Fucktard Idiot
Oct 8, 2007

Whoa Now posted:

Yeah you can, I would imagine that the tube provides more versatility. As with the three different adjustable lengths of the tube (the cheap one that I have at least), and being able to adjust focus, there's a lot of different options as to where your tiny sweet spot can be.

I would imagine with the lens flipped backwards you only have one possible focus spot, and you have to move around to find it? I don't really know anything about reversing.

Yeah that's right. I have a reversing ring cause it was only $4 but I see tubes on ebay for like $7, shipped. With the ring you have to move the camera to focus so being able to use MF would be a big improvement.

Fucktard Idiot
Oct 8, 2007

LuisX posted:

So what would be the best route for me? I have a Canon 50mm 1.4, and I will like to get either an extension tube or ring, whichever is convenient.

From all the example pics I've seen I'd say, in order of priority 1) Raynox DCR-250 2) Extension tubes 3) Ring

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fucktard Idiot
Oct 8, 2007

Rontalvos posted:

I wanna try macro but I'm far too cheap to buy am actual macro lens. Are extension tubes a worthwhile way to try it out? Is there a reason I shouldn't buy the cheap $11 set on amazon.com?

The only lenses I have for my Canon 40D are a Tamron 17-50 f2.8, Canon 28-135 3.5-5.6, and a 70-200 F4L, will I get decent results with at least one of these lenses in combination with extension tubes?

Tubes are super cheap just get a set and try it out http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.12456