Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

Don't tap on the fucking glass!
I swear to god I'll cut off your fucking fingers and feed them to the otters for enrichment.

Crash Fistfight posted:

Can someone explain this lens reversing for me?

There are adapters that one can use to attach a lens to a camera in reverse. From what I can understand, this apparently moves the lens elements farther away from the sensor (like a bellows or extension tube would) and thusly gives you a shorter focusing distance and greater magnification. I think it only really works with lenses of smaller focal lengths (i.e., not telephotos), though I could be wrong.

William T. Hornaday fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Feb 20, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

I swear to god I'll cut off your fucking fingers and feed them to the otters for enrichment.

ricepaddydaddy posted:

How much better is a ringflash over a normal speedlite for macro? I would love the Canon MP-E65 for my next macro lens, but I don't really want to shell out nearly $1k for a flash only for macro..

Here is Brian Valentine's (Lord V) flash setup for his MP-E 65. No idea whether it's better than a ringflash, but it certainly seems more than sufficient for him.

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

jackpot posted:

I'm counting five fingers and they seem to still be in the right order...?

He appears to have a fat right hand. Not sure how having sausage fingers counts as an injury, but that's just me.

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

Arvid posted:

Bought a macro lens for my 7D a few months ago and finally got around to actually using it a few days ago. Here´s a few of my first tries at macro photography (yeah, obligatory newbie flower shots :v: ):

This is absolutely gorgeous — I'm particularly digging the depth of field. What was the aperture at?

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

It's gone. How much was it?

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

I vote fungus.

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

Dread Head posted:

This has got to be the first cute snake I've seen. :3:

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

Is it from like three years ago and you just found it at the back of the fridge?

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

You'd probably get gunned down by the police if you try taking that thing out in public.

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

Ladybug by William T Hornaday, on Flickr

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

Is anyone here using focus stacking, or is everyone mostly just using tiny apertures and a buttload of light? I figure the latter is easier for things that aren't inclined to sit still for very long.

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

Butterfly by William T Hornaday, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

jarlywarly posted:

iridescence is hard to photograph, nice work. Monarch or Viceroy?

Monarch; it doesn't have a black stripe across the hindwing. And it's hanging out on what appears to be tropical milkweed.