Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
I've got a t2i and 100mm 2.8 macro. I'd like to get a ring flash/light of some kind, and came across this on b&h- Sunpak Ring Light

Anyone have experience with this? Reviews suggest it isn't terribly powerful, but seems like it might work to get another stop or two without having to go to a crappy ISO. Also seems like it could be useful for macro video.

Any other suggestions for a 3rd party ring flash,, probably <$200?

Also, I'm sure this has been covered, but the Kenko extension tubes are good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I ended up ordering a Dot Line ringflash for my T2i and 100/2.8, and it arrived yesterday. I've never used an external flash before, so I have a lot to learn... like, for example, it doesn't work when you're 6 inches from the subject matter.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Gravitom posted:

Macro is all about being disgusted by the everyday things in life :)

I can't figure it out, what is this? Do I want to ask?

But along the same theme of looking a little too closely...

Click here for the full 1024x683 image.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Sometimes macro is really hard :(

Got a few chances at this guy who was hanging out my kitchen but I'm not really happy with any of them.

Canon T2i, 100/2.8 macro, 3rd party extension tube & ring flash.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Maverique posted:

So if I was to attach let's say an 85mm lens to my 5D with a reverser I could do macro... cheaply?! Surely this cannot be true. Nothing in photography is cheap. I'd just finished wrapping my head round teleconverters :crossarms:

Don't know how the FF would factor in in terms of vignetting, but yeah, either that or extension tubes.

edit- yeah, that ^^^^

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
cross-posted from the critterquest thread

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
A couple more I put up on Critterquest

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

A5H posted:

I got some cheap extension tubes. What lens will I be best using on them for maximum zoominess? I have a 8-16, 30, 50, 17-50 & 70-200.

My guess would be the 50 (1.8? 1.4?). No point in putting it on something wider, you'll be faster than the 17-50 (2.8?), and macro with a zoom can be pretty frustrating which would suggest against the 70-200. You could try it on the 70-200 as well, since 50 is a little short, depending on what you'd like to shoot. Maybe lock the zoom if you can. So yeah, one of those two.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Alctel posted:

Anyone use a 60D here for insects in the wild? How useful is the movable LCD screen?

I do use it, but not all the time. I find it handy 1) when I'm hand-holding and the bug is < knee level, and I'd basically have to be on my belly to use the viewfinder or LCD otherwise, and 2) if the bug or flower is super still, ~ waist level or lower, and I'm using a tripod.

I find myself using the viewfinder or normal position screen when I can, but there is some minority of the time when having the flip-out screen makes things a lot more convenient.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Thoughts? I'm still trying to get the hang of the off-camera flash. Are the shiny spots too distracting?

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

alkanphel posted:

Yeah a diffuser might help.

Thanks- i had a home-made diffuser (the clear plastic drawer liner version that someone posted somewhere in Dorkroom a few months ago) on the off camera flash, so either I need to dial that one down more or my diffuser isn't very effective.

No diffuser on the on-camera pop-up. Probably should have tried it without the pop-up too.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
What bracket is that, and do you like it?

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Alctel posted:

It's a Manfrotto 330B Macro Flash Bracket

It's pretty good, feels very solid and well-made - comes with two arms, I took one off though. I'm also going to add a cheap little ballhead to make it more flexible.

Thanks! Just looked on B&H and that's less pricey than I expected. Going on my x-mas list (unless I can't wait and just buy it for myself).

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
FINALLY got one of these shots.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I'm assuming you're talking to Raikyn- mine was natural light (and those are much better photos). In case anyone cares- I used the same lens as you (Canon 100mm 2.8 non-L),60D, with the big and small from the three-pack Opteka extension tubes, on a tripod. f6.3, 1/500s, ISO 500.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I saw an academic seminar by Alex Wild a couple of weeks ago that was all about taking better bug pics, and he definitely spent the most time on lighting. He shot a lot of things indoors in home-made white-boxes similar to what you might use for taking pictures of stuff for eBay. Even some of his outside stuff was set up- he had an armature with a clamp so he could position a stick with a bug clinging to it just the way he wanted. Definitely big diffusers on his flashes, and he often had backlighting flashes to add color to transparent leaves and bugs. He paid a lot of attention to the backdground as well- making sure there was something pleasing and interesting in color (he often used fruit, but sometimes dead leaves or living foliage).

He recommended sort of mid-size apertures, not too wide open or the depth of field is too narrow, but not totally closed down either since apparently sharpness takes a bit of a hit (I didn't realize this).

Also you need a butt-load of patience- some of the outdoor shots took him several days of shooting when the light was just right to get the effect and focus he wanted.

One other thing- he was actually pretty upbeat about macro small-sensor p&s and even cellphone cameras for photos that don't need to be super-high resolution. Something about the size of the bug and size of the sensor, and how close you can get the front of the lens to the subject.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Alctel posted:

tripod and extension tubes? You have more patience than me ;)

I was trying to get some video too. Plus, they were really small spiders!

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Don't think my clips turned out very well either. Besides just being really difficult to follow, it was on the other side of a really dirty window.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

BetterLekNextTime posted:

Don't think my clips turned out very well either. Besides just being really difficult to follow, it was on the other side of a really dirty window.

This is pretty much the best I got...

Even though this guy hardly moved at all and I was on a tripod, still very hard to keep in focus.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Santa brought me the Manfrotto 330B Macro Flash Bracket I asked after getting Alctel's recommendation. :dance:

I just shot a few pics around the house and I love it so far. Apparently the one thing that I will have to get used to is if I want to shoot a vertical shot, I have to flip the camera and keep the bracket horizontal (instead of rotating the whole assembly of camera, bracket, and flash) A couple of times the flash arm got loose enough to swing down and bang my lens when I was trying to shoot in portrait orientation.

This is with my home-made diffuser.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Yawgmoft posted:

How come I can't get shots that look that good? Do I need
A magnifier? I got the canon 100mm macro for christmas and all of my test shots come out pretty boring and standard.

I didn't realize this either when I first started, but macro photography is very much about light and not just getting wicked close to something. Not only is it important for bringing out texture, but having some lighting or flash will help you get a decent shutter speed and at an aperture where more than a tiny bit will be in focus.

Also, 3rd party extension tubes a fun and relatively cheap addition if you want really close things.

One more thing- use a monopod or a tripod if you can.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Shameless promotion of some gear for sale, including:

the Canon 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro

RPS macro ring flash for Canon.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Begby posted:

Ok, so I have a 50mm f1.4 camera lens, an t1a, and a 270ex flash. My buddy gave me some extension tubes and this canon flash shoe thing that makes it so the flash is not mounted on the camera.

I would like to setup some sort of quick and dirty hack rig to mount my flash and then maybe make a diffuser out of a milk jug or something? Any ideas?

Cheap as hell is key as I had to really put the charm on to my wife to get the money for this lens and I don't think she would be keen on my dropping a few bills on crap for "spider portraits".

I made a diffuser out of drawer liner and velcro, and it's worked pretty well I think. Not sure if it would have the surface area of a milk jug but the advantage is you can fold it up and put it in your gear bag more easily.

If your "flash shoe thing" doesn't include a ttl flash cord to connect the flash to the hotshoe, you'll need to get that, but they are pretty cheap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I have this

It's not home-made but not too expensive. You could probably rig something up like this with a trip to the hardware store.

I usually use it with just one arm for the flash. I've done a little bit of playing with clipping a sheet of white paper to the second arm like a little reflector, but haven't spent the time to make this worthwhile yet.

edit- yeah- that cord is what I mean.

BetterLekNextTime fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Dec 20, 2012