Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpunkyRedKnight
Oct 12, 2000
A few recent shots:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpunkyRedKnight
Oct 12, 2000

seravid posted:

Nice details overall, but you should diffuse the twin to kill the hotspots and make the light more even :)

I've got the standard sto-fen ones on there, though they don't seem to make a ton of difference. That was also the first time I had taken some macro shots in a while and for some reason forgot about FEC.

Couple more:

SpunkyRedKnight
Oct 12, 2000
Was too cold for bugs so here's some not-bugs.

SpunkyRedKnight
Oct 12, 2000

In hindsight shaking trees and getting myself covered in pollen wasn't the best idea.

SpunkyRedKnight
Oct 12, 2000
Got bored and started shooting stuff I have sitting around.

SpunkyRedKnight
Oct 12, 2000

seravid posted:

Neat. Would you mind specifying what sort of stuff you shot?

First four are polished sections of rock, the first backlit by UV, the others by white LEDs. Then a bubble in a bottle of aloe vera gel. Bear claw lit by UV. More rocks: rutile in quartz, chrysocolla (I think), fluorite.

SpunkyRedKnight
Oct 12, 2000

spongepuppy posted:

The minerals would be interesting to shoot with polarized light - although that's kind of my bag at the moment. Are you using UV LEDs as your light source?

Yeah just a cheap flashlight with a UV mode. I don't know the wavelength or how ultra it really is, but it's got a lot of visible light in there and looks very purple.

SpunkyRedKnight
Oct 12, 2000
Some more rocks, this time lit with a shortwave 254nm UV bulb. Calcite has a huge variety of fluorescent colors depending on other elements present in the rock. Some varieties exhibit phosphorescence where they will glow for a few seconds after removing the light source.

Tried shooting with a UV filter to make sure I was just getting the visible portion of the spectrum but noticed no difference. I guess those really don't matter with digital.

SpunkyRedKnight
Oct 12, 2000
Two of these aren't really macro but they're focus stacked so I guess this is the place. Not sure why kiwano melons are so expensive but they look pretty cool.

SpunkyRedKnight
Oct 12, 2000
Have some Elder Sign fruit.

SpunkyRedKnight
Oct 12, 2000

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpunkyRedKnight
Oct 12, 2000
Tried out some focus stacking on a Six-Spotted Tiger Beetle. And because the fuckers are everywhere, a Brown Marmorated Stink Bug.