Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
Dear OP: how do you like the 105mm Sigma macro? A good macro lens is next up on my list and considering how poor / back-to-school I'm going to be shortly, I'm wondering if going the budget route (from say, the 100mm Canon USM model) will treat me right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
Well speak of the devil a 105mm is up for $144 right now, holy credit cards batman.

Also seems a loud/crappy AF system is a universal complaint, not unique to your lens. I've seen that BGN-rated stuff from KEH is awesome quality, so this'll be on my quicklist. Thanks!

Gunshow Poophole fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Feb 22, 2010

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
My god, Jackpot what did you get those pictures with?

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

jackpot posted:

Handheld, manual focus, viewfinder. Handheld because I don't have the patience/skill to use a tripod, manual focus because when your depth of field is in millimeters it's much easier just to set the focus somewhere and move the camera where you need it, and viewfinder because I just haven't played around with live view much, although I should.

This is how I plan on it. Eagerly awaiting a new macro lens in the mail. No bug is safe! Those shots are great, looking forward to making my own :)

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
I am going to resurrect the HELL out of critterquest in about a week. Probably be warm enough here by that point to go out and nab some nifty pics with a new macro lens woooo.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
Why the ballsacks are off-camera flash cords so expensive? I'd like to set up something like what you have for my vivitar 285 but... yeah. $69 for a wee extension cord? Not in the budget right now.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
:neckbeard: So after a few days of furiously F5ing the postal service's website my Sigma 150mm macro showed up yesterday.

By the time I picked it up it was dark out and I spent the evening getting mostly terribly blurry shots of mundane apartment objects in XTREEM CLOSEUP. I finally jury-rigged a lightbox with my desklamps and managed to snap a few pictures... which I left on my home computer. :doh:

I've never really shot at f/11 and lower before, the amount of light it takes is ridiculous. The lens is INCREDIBLE, though, and for the money I spent on it very lightly used I'm extremely pleased.

Also it weighs more than my flash/camera combined. Time to develop some steady hands.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
What about a gorillapod? Seems to be quickly adjustable and relatively light / not cumbersome. Definitely a monopod will probably be my next equipment purchase.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

axolotl farmer posted:

Just wanted to let you guys know that I'll be happy to take a stab at identifying any of the bugs posted in this thread.

Soon it's time for the next Critterquest thread, full of bugs, spiders and other tiny wildlife!

Eagerly awaiting this. Weather's been craptacular for weekends here but this weekend looks golden! And I'll be going to South Carolina as well next weekend, time to get out along some river beds.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
That pencil tip is also incredible, the sharpness, :psyduck:

Dear The Weather, please be nice in Souf Carolina this weekend.

Thanks, your friend Stu.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
I was all stoked to shoot in the Duke Gardens when I was back on campus this weekend, but lo and behold I roll in and the terrace, koi lake and new flowerbeds are all loving closed off for renovations. And of course now that I'm back in Dallas, it's 57 degrees and raining.

Swear to god I'll get some snaps for this thread eventually. My macro lens has been acting as a $500 counterweight for my shoulder bag :(

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
My coworkers ivies in his office are COVERED in messy fine webs with wee bugs around 0.3mm tall, and I'm thinking it's something to do with these kind of mites. My first thought was YES A MACRO SUBJECT but they're just TOO tiny.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

sanka posted:

I've used the 200mm Nikon f/4 macro at work. It's very nice, and the working distance is around a half mile. That said it's very, very heavy. I don't mind hiking around with my 105mm on a monopod, but with that 200mm it would really suck.

Sigma 150 is just at the tipping point of too heavy for me. I de-grip my camera in order to hike around with it. Also working distance ++

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
Studebaker, the mite on the flower pistil is INSANELY close what's your setup like? I'm sure you get this question a billion times but I'm lazy :)

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Studebaker Hawk posted:

I just came into possession of an MP-E65! Cheapo chinese bracket/ball head with a 430EX, opteka collapsable diffuser.

Really fun lens, difficult to use but I am learning :)

ohhhh you bastard (jealous as hell)

I keep trying to get out and find some bugs in the neighborhood, but the weekends I'm not traveling, it's storming here. Wind doesn't play well with millimeter depths of field :(

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

I managed to get an awesome shot of a random flower out the back porch of the vacation spot this weekend. Hilarious how the background just doesn't show up with really low aperture settings.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

seravid posted:

The fun really starts when you add a close-up lens to the tubes + 100 macro combo. Nice and cheap solution to reach 4:1.

I have a Sigma 150mm macro lens and I'd like to get some serious magnification, but none of the Raynoxes fit on my filter (72mm). Anyone have recommendations? I'm googling but having a poo poo time of it.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
I will give that a try then thanks!

Also extension tubes. Also I need a good tripod. The gear list just goes onnnnn and onnnnn

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
My guess was a popped blackhead which would be some insane magnification.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

seravid posted:

Keep in mind that 200mm is pretty long and long focal length + high magnification = constant earthquake when you look through the viewfinder.

I've been having this problem a lot, would a nice monopod (ideally quick-adjusting) help me out if bugs are my primary subject? I'm just trying to figure out additional ways to add stability while I'm framing a shot. I figure tripods are too slow and cumbersome specially if I'm kinda following a bug around waiting for him to post up for a photo op.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
Reckon mainly it'll be handling practice, need to build up some muscle tone in my arms anyway. I hadn't realized the full implications of my long focal length lens (150mm sigma) I was mainly excited for longer working distance. Thanks y'all.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
Posted this in Critterquest as well:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
That tree frog with the red eyes is an amazing shot.