Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drone Incognito
Oct 16, 2008

There are no drones here. No way no how.
You all have some amazing shots! It inspired me to try and get some macro type shots with my Fuji 70-300mm since I heard it might be capable of it. Still fairly new to photography in general but it was awesome watching that butterfly probe around trying to eat.

So far the thing I'm finding the hardest is nailing the focus. More practice and hopefully I'll get there.

DSCF0836_1

DSCF0803

Drone Incognito fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Jul 19, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone Incognito
Oct 16, 2008

AceClown posted:

great shots those! What's the butterfly? Guessing it's a Fritillary but I'm struggling to ID it.

Thank you! I was trying to ID it and it's either that type or a Tawny Emperor. Location would be Northeast US.

Drone Incognito
Oct 16, 2008

I bought myself a Laowa 65mm Macro lens and a cheap flash as a treat. I have to say it's a lot of fun hunting these little critters down and the lens performs really well, as far as I can tell.

Mayfly in May by M Musket, on Flickr

Red Mite by M Musket, on Flickr

Fibonacci Millipede by M Musket, on Flickr

Millipede by M Musket, on Flickr

Drone Incognito
Oct 16, 2008

A desperate attempt to bump the macro thread and see more of your awesome shots. And of course some of my own:

Unknown Fly by M Musket, on Flickr

A Six Spotted Tiger Beetle
DSCF1943 by M Musket, on Flickr

A Snail
DSCF2258 by M Musket, on Flickr

I think this is a Robber Fly pretending to be a bumblebee
DSCF2310 by M Musket, on Flickr

Drone Incognito
Oct 16, 2008

jarlywarly posted:

I've not done so much macro yet this year here's some recent ones though

Still some lovely shots of bees! I'll admit, it was looking through this thread and seeing some of you photos in particular that finally made me bite the bullet and buy a macro lens. No regrets.

Graniteman posted:

Agreed that tiger beetle shot is great. Those guys are really tough to approach, so respect for the techniqute!

Thank you! Some day I'll figure out how to get things printed.

Drone Incognito
Oct 16, 2008

NTRabbit posted:

I don't know how you get those amazing insect photos, I can barely keep non-moving plants in proper focus.
]

They still came out good.

Like the other poster said, a flash and diffuser is necessary. Also I assume you're focusing manually? It was hard for me at first until I turned Focus Peaking on. If that's an option for you it's like cheating. (And also taking like 20 shots of every bug)

Drone Incognito
Oct 16, 2008

Being stung is just part of the game. Somehow I've avoided being attacked by wasps but it's only a matter of time.

I also don't want to give unsolicited advice. What I tend to do is sort of hold my breath and rock back and forth slowly on my heels while taking a few shots. That usually ensures at least one of the shots I take is in focus the way I want it.

Drone Incognito
Oct 16, 2008

That's pretty neat for not even being a macro lens.

I shoot handheld but the answer to getting not blurry shots is probably use a flash. All the insect photos I take are taken at 1/250 of a second since that's the fastest my flash will sync. Focusing can be a chore but I haven't had any blurry ones yet

Drone Incognito
Oct 16, 2008

jarlywarly posted:

Awesome Bumblebee

I really like how your shots come out. Unless it's a secret what kind of post-processing do you do on shots like that or in general?

And for some content:

Sweat Bee on Flower by M Musket, on Flickr

DSCF2775 by M Musket, on Flickr

DSCF2534 by M Musket, on Flickr

Planthopper by M Musket, on Flickr

The Planthopper isn't the best shot, but they are just super rad so had to share it anyway.

Drone Incognito
Oct 16, 2008

Thanks for that! Seeing everyone's behind the scenes process is very helpful.

It's kind of amazing how clean that all looks when you crank that shadows up that much. I'm not sure if my Fuji RAWs would have as much details recoverable without noise. Time to play around in Capture One a bit.

I do at least one thing similar to you. That Highlights slider is going wayyyy down. Feels like a quick and dirty way to remove some of the hotter spots from my flash. Maybe a bigger or better diffuser could help with that too.

Drone Incognito
Oct 16, 2008

That spider on the pink flower is the most soothing spider I've ever seen. Never seen a spider with vaporwave aesthetic before.

I find it really funny when people walk by when I'm trying to take insect photos. If they say hello or ask what I'm up to it's always fun to give them a little walkthrough and show them the cool critters they are just walking past.

As an aside I find it a bit sad how sheltered people are from all the awesome small creatures around them. I started posting my things in the local hiking group for my state and it always ends up with questions like "Wow! What is that?" on a picture of a common millipede. It was surprising to me that people who you would assume like the outdoors are ignorant of all the things that are out there with them. It does provide an educational opportunity though, which only gives me more reasons to get out there and find interesting bugs.

Drone Incognito
Oct 16, 2008

Slotducks posted:

Beloved Macro thread, bestow upon me some of your wisdom.

What beginner macro lens would you pick up if you had a Fuji XT-200 (X Mount system)?

I have the 13mm extension tube and it's scratched a bit of an itch, but a dedicated macro lens for this body would be great - what beginnner model would you suggest? I'm in Canada for reference (if that matters)

I've only used the one lens I have, but all the macro shots I've taken were on my X-T4 with the Laowa 65mm macro lens. It runs about $400 though and is fully manual so no autofocus.

If you were looking for cheaper there might be options that I'm unaware of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone Incognito
Oct 16, 2008

I do some macro with my XT-4 and I use Laowa lenses. If you are ok with a manual only lens and money is a concern you might want to look into those too.

The Godox flash is what I wish I just bought at the start. Also make sure you get a diffuser, it makes a huge difference with how your photos turn out. My most recent photos were taken without one and I don't like the look as much.