Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raikiri
Nov 3, 2008

KickStand posted:

Is there a way that I could use those Raynox filters on something with a 77mm filter size? I know the Raynox DCR-250 says it can be used with a lens with a filter size up to 67mm, would I be able to buy an adapter to step down the filter size on my lens from 77mm to 67mm and then slap the DCR-250 on that?

You can get a 77 to 67mm adapter (generally used for connecting a second, reversed lens) on eBay for a few $/£. Whether or not the extra distance will be a problem is another matter though.

Some of my shots:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raikiri
Nov 3, 2008

Paragon8 posted:

Eugh, the Raynox sounded perfect but apparently are next to impossible to find in the UK.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130368802102

I was going to buy it, but go for it.

Raikiri
Nov 3, 2008
Might be worth trying a cheaper Macro lens, the Canon is lovely but I find my Tamron 90mm does the job just fine.

A used one (slightly older version) would set you back about £150-£175 and are really sharp. The AF sucks but then you're not going to be using it much when shooting macro.

Raikiri
Nov 3, 2008

KickStand posted:

Just another quick question, how exactly would you find your max magnification with something like the Raynox? Say your lens has normally a max magnification of 1:4 what math would be involved to find how close you are getting?

Best way it to take a picture of a ruler, if your sensor is 22mm across and 2.2cm fills the frame it's 1:1, 1.1cm then it's 2:1 etc.

Raikiri
Nov 3, 2008
Double post, but hey it's been a few days.

I have a new subject:

Now with video (1080p/720p available on YT):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_77X_MUsXI

Raikiri
Nov 3, 2008
Lovely shots Jackpot.

Shot at 2:1 lifeize, click for a much larger version (1920x1080) :)

Edit: Is this loading for anyone? No hosts seem to be working for me.

Raikiri fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Mar 2, 2010

Raikiri
Nov 3, 2008

jackpot posted:

I think this is what you were trying to post, and by the way it's awesome :)

Ah, can't embed a URL. Thanks :)

Here's the full size version:

Click here for the full 1920x1080 image.

Raikiri
Nov 3, 2008

Pompous Rhombus posted:

I have nothing against spiders (I helped a jumping spider get out of harm's way when I was taking a shower yesterday) but that picture is still very :aaa:

Just curious, do any of you use autofocus?

That's actually an opilione (harvestman) :science: Jumping spiders are relatively cute, as far as spiders go.

As for AF... not really, I probably would more with the Canon 100mm as it's far quicker and quiter than my Tamron but even then not often.

Raikiri
Nov 3, 2008

Stew Man Chew posted:

I am going to resurrect the HELL out of critterquest in about a week. Probably be warm enough here by that point to go out and nab some nifty pics with a new macro lens woooo.

It's still bloody freezing here, just took the dog out and it's like being in STALKER.

Raikiri
Nov 3, 2008

dunos posted:

I want to try a bit of macro so I am thinking of getting the Raynox DCR-250.

I currently have a 400D and a Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 - I assume this will all work enough to start with before spending lots of money (which I will end up doing anyway no doubt).

What am I aiming for? Lots of light and a small aperture so that I get enough DoF at the distances I am working at?

Usually shoot at f/11 to f/13. To get enough light I've got the flash off camera:

Excuse the phone pics, only other camera I've got.

Raikiri
Nov 3, 2008

Stew Man Chew posted:

Why the ballsacks are off-camera flash cords so expensive? I'd like to set up something like what you have for my vivitar 285 but... yeah. $69 for a wee extension cord? Not in the budget right now.

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.19612

Yay for cheap labour. I use the same one, works perfectly (assuming you use Canon).

Raikiri
Nov 3, 2008

InternetJunky posted:

I'm sorry for the noobish question -- even if I take macro shots on a tripod I need to set the picture to go off in timed mode because I find I end up shaking the camera far too much when I press the button to take the picture. Is there something that exists like a remote that I can use with my camera (Canon Rebel XS) to snap the picture instead?

That off camera flash cord looks like a great idea.

There's a number of wired and wireless on the site I posted: http://www.dealextreme.com/search.dx/search.canon%20remote

Also use mirror lockup, in custom functions.

Raikiri
Nov 3, 2008

sanka posted:

Why are you using manual focus? Any particular reason? I almost always shoot auto-focus on my XTi.

Manual is usually the best for macro, in my opinion. AF generally isn't quite accurate enough at high mag.

Few shots from the other day:

Won't be taking any more for a little while though, due to a slight injury.

Fuuuuckkkkkk :/

Raikiri
Nov 3, 2008

William T. Hornaday posted:

He appears to have a fat right hand. Not sure how having sausage fingers counts as an injury, but that's just me.

No, but a minor triquetral fracture does :)

fronkpies posted:

Did anyone else call these "money spiders" when they where kids?

(and sometimes squash them?)

Nope, always called those tiny little brown ones money spiders. These were just ticks (although, I now know they're velvet mites).

Raikiri
Nov 3, 2008

Stregone posted:

Have any of you guys used any of the different ~200mm macro lenses? I've always kinda wanted one, but its a really niche lens...

I've used the Sigma 180mm, it's a nice lens and has a much better working distance than my 90mm. Never used a 200mm Macro, although I imagine the difference is minimal.

Raikiri
Nov 3, 2008

Raikiri
Nov 3, 2008

seravid posted:

What's going on here, is it leaning towards the camera? Great background, though.

Very slightly, yeah. They tend to wave side to side a little. That's a full frame @ 1:1, so the DoF was tiny.

Raikiri
Nov 3, 2008

diarrhea for girls posted:

Haha, nice action! bow-chicka-wow.

I'm jealous of everyone who has an MPE65. I don't have a great lighting setup though so I don't think I could put it to good use if I did have one!

This carpenter bee was laying on a floor at work. It had been caught in a spider web, I think, due to all the webbing around it and it was absolutely exhausted. I ended up grabbing it and brought it home for some photos and rehabilitation haha. It's sucking on some sugar water at the moment while watching the basketball game. Tough life. I'll let it go in the morning provided it's active enough.

That carpenter bee is a bot fly of some kind... please Google it if you've not heard of them :)

Raikiri
Nov 3, 2008
Not shot any macro for a while but the CCTV lens I bought for my GF3 came with some extension tubes so I had a quick go:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raikiri
Nov 3, 2008
The Tamron is a great lens, I used one for quite a while when I had a Canon. The working distance is shortish but still usable (certainly easier than the GF3 I'm using atm).