Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pastry Mistakes
Apr 6, 2009

I've actually been having this internal battle on which lens to buy... this might help me. I have two questions:

First question:
I am almost dead set on purchasing the 100mm 2.8 Macro L canon lens, but when I see pictures from people with reversed lenses I am completely blown away. Can anyone tell me how the 100mm Macro lens really compares to these reversed lenses? What are the advantages/disadvantages of each?

Second question:
Let's say I want to reverse a lens, I figure I should go with a prime (cheapest prime then is the nifty fifty). What reverse mount can I use for the Canon's 50mm 1.8?
This pairs itself up with the nifty fifty, but I am unsure if it is as good as the two reverse mounts previously listed (Raynox 150/250). Can anyone help?

I'm really incompetent when it comes to figuring out mm ring sizes :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pastry Mistakes
Apr 6, 2009

Studebaker Hawk posted:

You can do cool stuff with a reversing ring but a macro lens is 1000 times easier. First of all, electronically being able to set aperture and use Av/Tv is invaluable. The times I was using a reversing ring and had to mount lens, select stop, press DOF preview and then reverse was a huge PITA.

I would actually suggest saving your money and buying either the canon 100mm non L or the sigma 150mm (ps I have one for sale). Both of these lenses are superb and I believe that IS is largely unnecessary for macro, as well as ~half the price. IS would be handy for portraits, etc in lower light conditions but I would say save the money for other things (lenses, flashes, etc)

Do you know if the magnification on the 100mm Macro 2.8 is at all comparable with the reversed lenses? Would I be able to take pictures somewhat like this suave sob?

My reasoning for the L 100mm is that I typically don't use any telephoto lenses as my general "walk around" lens (also, I would like to use this one for portraits). For my telephoto needs I am looking to get the 70-200 2.8 IS L lens, but I am also looking at the 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 L... I don't want a lenses that overlap as I feel it would somewhat be a waste of money (and I'm not entirely sure what the canon 2x teleconverter would do to image quality on the 70-200 2.8); as it is though I am not sure what to choose. This problem (choosing between telephoto lenses) is directly interfering with my choice on whether or not to buy the 100mm macro outright (as it would overlap with another L series lens). But I really want to do amazing macro shots like Thomas Shahan, and I don't know if that is even possible with the 100mm.

Also, what is this madness about mounting a lens ON TOP of another lens?

Pastry Mistakes fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Oct 10, 2010

Pastry Mistakes
Apr 6, 2009

BetterLekNextTime posted:

I've got a t2i and 100mm 2.8 macro. I'd like to get a ring flash/light of some kind, and came across this on b&h- Sunpak Ring Light

Anyone have experience with this? Reviews suggest it isn't terribly powerful, but seems like it might work to get another stop or two without having to go to a crappy ISO. Also seems like it could be useful for macro video.

Any other suggestions for a 3rd party ring flash,, probably <$200?

Also, I'm sure this has been covered, but the Kenko extension tubes are good?

I actually had a similar question about the 100mm 2.8L.
Two questions specifically:

1. I was looking to get either kenko tubes or diopters, but I'm not sure which would be suitable for greater magnification. Can anyone give me a quick rundown? Should I use both?

2. Since the tubes were a possibility for me, I was reminded of tripod mounting rings (because I don't want all the tubes + the lens to create too much stress on the mount). When I found out that the ring mount for the 100mm is almost two hundred dollars.... well, screw that madness. Amazon had a few alternatives with VERY poor ratings. Does anyone know of a good alternative tripod ring mount?

Pastry Mistakes fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Nov 5, 2010

Pastry Mistakes
Apr 6, 2009

I just got my 100macro L today, I can't wait to use it :)

Pastry Mistakes
Apr 6, 2009

I want to find a way to increase the magnification of my 100mm 2.8L; should I go with the dcr150/250 or Kenko tubes? Can I use both at once? Is that even a feasible idea?

I know both products are great, I'm just not very privy to the technicalities of each.

Pastry Mistakes
Apr 6, 2009

Well, those pictures sold me on the combo.

I bought the 250 today and it should arrive Friday, so I'll have plenty of time to play through the weekend.

I was unsure if both would work at once because, to put it simply, I had very stupid thoughts dancing around inside my head.

I've heard drat good things about throwing a 1.4 TC on 68mm Kenko tube stack with a good diopter, but I don't have the funds for a TC, so it's a moot point for me.

Pastry Mistakes
Apr 6, 2009

Just tried my first focus stacking session. My lighting was terrible, and on top of that I have no idea how to properly use flash, so I did the best I could given the circumstances (typically I'm a "natural light" kind of guy). Arranged in order from largest to smallest.

Macro Stacking Session I - Merged by Abnegātus, on Flickr

Macro Stacking Session II - Ring Merger by Abnegātus, on Flickr

Macro Stacking Session II - Coin Merged by Abnegātus, on Flickr

Macro Stacking Session II - Merged by Abnegātus, on Flickr

Macro Stacking Session II - Dice Eye Merged by Abnegātus, on Flickr

Pastry Mistakes
Apr 6, 2009

Insects!

Edit 4b by Abnegātus, on Flickr

Edit 4c by Abnegātus, on Flickr

Edit 3b by Abnegātus, on Flickr

Edit 2 by Abnegātus, on Flickr

Pastry Mistakes
Apr 6, 2009

227 crop by Abnegātus, on Flickr

Descanso Gardens 228-230 crop by Abnegātus, on Flickr

105 by Abnegātus, on Flickr

Pastry Mistakes
Apr 6, 2009

Great shot with that 4th picture!

Pastry Mistakes
Apr 6, 2009

Edit: I have no idea why this was posted twice; will replace with another when I get home.

Pastry Mistakes fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Apr 13, 2011

Pastry Mistakes
Apr 6, 2009

^Nice ants..

I tried getting some shots of ants yesterday, but they were just so damned fast...

Red Ant 026 crop by Abnegātus, on Flickr

I misted one with water, and that got him to stop for about two seconds, unfortunately it was also responsible for all the shininess that could be found in my picture.

Pastry Mistakes
Apr 6, 2009

I had another mister that was sugar diluted in water, and when I shot an area it caught an ant in the radius and the poor thing looked like it was going through an epileptic fit :(

I guess I'll try using a dropper with honey next time.

Pastry Mistakes
Apr 6, 2009

Stupid tiny fast bastards. My depth of field was absolutely poo poo, not much access to natural light, and I just could not manually get what I wanted in focus (AF was worthless). I of course did not bring my 580, but at that close of a distance I don't think it would of done anything.

I know I'm going to have to invest in a ring light or a twin flash setup eventually... but for now does anyone recommend any cheaper alternatives?

Red Ant 26 by Abnegātus, on Flickr

Pastry Mistakes
Apr 6, 2009

Dread Head posted:

Probably more so a "close up" than true macro...

What the hell is this thing?

I guess I'll follow in the same vein:

San Diego Zoo 012 100crop by Abnegātus, on Flickr

San Diego Zoo 093 crop by Abnegātus, on Flickr

San Diego Zoo 061 by Abnegātus, on Flickr

Pastry Mistakes
Apr 6, 2009

Crossposting because my question should have been put here anyway:

I just bought the Velbom macro slider, both because of the good reviews and because it is insanely cheap compared to others I've been reading up on.

Question for those who have used it though: Is this rail easy enough to use when going beyond 1:1 magnification?

Pastry Mistakes
Apr 6, 2009

My mp3 player broke, so I decided to take some pictures of its mobo!

Comparison for size:

And the focus stack:

Mp3 Player interior mobo by Abnegātus, on Flickr

First time testing out my Velbon rail, and I like the result. I need to add a a ruler to it however.

Pastry Mistakes
Apr 6, 2009

I made myself a ring-flash entirely out of painters tape and tinfoil. I still don't have a wire for my flash, so I made an aluminum foil tube to connect to the ring itself. Here are some pics I took with it:

Ring-Flash Macro Test 004 by Abnegātus, on Flickr

Ring-Flash Macro Test 016 by Abnegātus, on Flickr

Ring-Flash Macro Test 012 by Abnegātus, on Flickr

Ring-Flash Macro Test 022 by Abnegātus, on Flickr
Yes, my diffuser was a paper towel.

Pastry Mistakes fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Oct 9, 2011

Pastry Mistakes
Apr 6, 2009

I decided to take some photos of my delicious blood orange today. If you've never had one, I suggest you go and get one immediately; without a doubt one of the best/most flavorful oranges ever.

Blood-Orange-30-31-crop by Abnegātus, on Flickr

Blood-Orange/Cellular Membrane-023 by Abnegātus, on Flickr

They look like this normally:

Blood-Orange-17-20 by Abnegātus, on Flickr

Pastry Mistakes
Apr 6, 2009

I actually had to fix the exposure and temperature quite a bit in post because my initial setup was so bad. I should probably make another lightbox and buy some clamp lamps. This was taken with the dcr-250, 100mm 2.8L and 68mm kenko tubes. Honestly the whole setup was quite unruly. I was going to try to focus stack this one, but even with the velbon macro rail it was a pain in the rear end.

Incense-025 by Abnegātus, on Flickr

Pastry Mistakes fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Jan 12, 2012

Pastry Mistakes
Apr 6, 2009

Bee 6359

Mosquito 6378-6383

I'm not really happy with these, but whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pastry Mistakes
Apr 6, 2009

Anyone have info on how to expand the magnification of the Canon 100mm 2.8L? I've 70mm worth of Kenko tubes but honestly it doesn't seem like there's much of an increase. Would a DCR-250 be good? Or would all of the above combined create an unusable working distance?

For reference in using a piss poor t2i.