Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Bubbacub posted:

Goddamn, that's like some Beksinski poo poo

Kludged together a way to do some night shooting with only two hands and found some Geiger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

And now for something completely different...

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Atlatl posted:

What is that? An oil sheen shot with a flash?

Soap bubble solution. Those were shot with a flash, but continuous light works just as well.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Fingers McLongDong posted:

What kind of setups are you guys using to get some of these shots? In addition to a kit lens and a cheaper telephoto, I have one of the older Canon 100mm 2.8 lenses, which is great, but I can't get nearly that close. I thought about getting some extension tubes for it. I'm also going to buy a 50mm lens pretty soon, I saw some people recommending reversal rings for a lens that size as well?

Some really great photos in this thread.

tl;dr: stick a Raynox dcr-150 on the end of a telephoto lens and start taking pictures.

I've got two inexpensive setups that I use:
1) Telephoto lens and a $60 Raynox dcr-150 snapon lens. Yes, it sounds junky but it absolutely isn't.
With my Tamron 18-270 extended all the way out and the raynox, I get a 20 cm working distance with an 18mm wide field of view focusing at infinity. Racking focus all the way back in the opposite direction gets me an 8cm working distance and a 35mm field of view.
All your auto- stuff works. Focus, exposure, aperture, etc. Once you get used to the Raynox dcr-150, get a 250 for even closer pictures.

2) 50mm lens and a $20 set of extension tubes. $20 extension tubes are junky. Plan on shooting full manual, because although the tubes will have pins so your lens will communicate with the body, it's probably not going to work if you stack the tubes (which you'll want to do) Plan on putting a tube of matte black paper inside the extension tubes and electrical taping over the joints because they will leak light. You will also want a lens that can be manually stopped down with one touch/press/switch. A super-takumar 50/1.4 can be had for about $65.
68mm of extension tubes and my Westrocolor 50 gets me 5cm working distance and a 15mm field of view.

Rig #1 advantages:
Autoexposure
Autoaperture
Autofocus
Better working distance - less likely to scare away skittish bugs
It takes all of 2 seconds to switch from shooting with a regular lens to shooting macro.

Rig #1 disadvantages:
The longer working distance makes it hard to brace the lens on your hand. You can stretch your pinkie and thumb as wide apart as possible and use that as an almost-monopod.

Rig #2 advantages:
Super cheap, if you've got a suitable old lens laying around.
If you're shooting bugs on walls, trees, benches, rails or the ground, your working distance is short enough to solidly brace the lens on your hand. Particularly if you're not using a flash, this will help you keep shutter speed and blur down.

Rig#2 disadvantages:
Unless you get better quality extension tubes, your going to be shooting full manual (you can still do autoexposure)
Manual focus isn't a big deal if your subject is staying relatively still and you can brace the camera/lens on something - you're going to be focusing by moving the camera in and out anyway.
Being able to somehow stop down the aperture is essential. How you do it makes some parts easier (especially if you use a flash - then you'll need be able to stop down with a single push/switch or you'll be shooting mostly blind)
Short working distance will mean you'll scare away some insects before you can even hope to get them in focus. (Like butterflies)

All of the macro shots here were taken with one of these setups. (Scroll down, cold weather isn't good for arthropods)
And occasionally other stuff, like flash, tripod, focus rail, and zerene stacker.

joat mon fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Feb 19, 2019

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

This is the lighting/diffuser setup I'd use if I had $250 to spare:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JbJzENXjz8
I went to a class he put on a couple of years after this review and he was still using this setup (and a reversing ring - that and the tracing paper demonstrate that he's not a shill or a gear fetishist)

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Any recommendations for good diffuser setups?
Quick and cheap nighttime setup:

Flash with manual settings.
index card
Paper towel
LED headlamp

Tape the index card to the top of the flash. This will help bounce light down onto your subject and will help to stand the paper towel off from the flash.
Tape the paper towel on at top and bottom.
If your taking pictures in the dark, wrap the LED headlight around the body of the flash so there's enough light for your autofocus to work.
Set shutter at 1/200, iso at 1000, aperture at one stop up from all the way stopped down, adjust flash strength for desired exposure.
Go find small stuff.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Infinite Karma posted:

A lot of those cheap $50 "macro lenses" are lovely magnifying glasses you snap to the front of your lens, and will not give you the results you want.
I'm a big fan of the Raynox DCR-150.

I don't think it's lovely.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Lawson posted:

That looks quite decent. What did you clip the DCR-150 onto for these?

An older Tamron 18-270.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Atlatl posted:

Blame flickr users.

In other news, who wants to see what a sea cucumber's rear end in a top hat looks like? Well too bad it's happening, also here's the tiny rear end crabs that live inside them.

+10 diopter is basically hell especially with sand particles floating through the focus light beam, I had to give up and go to manual focus and swim very carefully.

Those are some kick-rear end rear end crab pictures. How do you anchor yourself to take pictures underwater? Do you add weights for less buoyancy?

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Lawson posted:

Thanks. I assume you took these at full zoom, and I shouldn't expect similar results if I clip this to my 55 mm lens?

Mostly at full zoom, but variations in zoom and focus give a wonderful range of magnification that will allow you to frame just about any subject. (As opposed to cheap extension tubes where you have to line the inside of the tube and electrical tape the outside joints to keep unwanted light out - then you're stuck with one magnification per trip)

I think you might be disappointed with the lack of magnification you'll get with a 55mm.
In my cheap and limited experience, non-telephoto lenses go on extension tubes and Raynoxes go on telephoto lenses.
I've got a 55mm at home, I'll make some comparison shots later.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

58mm + Raynox 150 = 7cm field of view, 17cm working distance.
1:3 magnification ratio = not really macro

58mm + 68mm extension tube = 1.6 cm FOV, 8cm WD
1.4:1 ratio = macro

58mm + 68mm tube + Raynox = 1.3 cm FOV, 4 cm WD
1.7:1 = macro

200mm + Raynox = 2cm FOV, 20cm WD
1.1:1 = macro

200mm + 68mm tube = 5cm FOV, 75cm(!) WD
1:2 = not really macro

200mm + 68mm tube + Raynox = 1.3cm FOV, 15cm WD
1.7:1 = macro

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Bubbacub posted:

UV flashlights + scorpions is always fun. Finding them is so goddamn easy.

Scorpion inside strangler fig by Jason the Hutt, on Flickr

Paravaejovis sp. by Jason the Hutt, on Flickr

Those are both amazing.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Plus the thread is kinda dead.
Here's a couple recent ones that worked for different reasons

50mm and extension tubes, flash bounced off a 4x6 index card. Stack of 3.

18-270 at 270 and a Raynox 150, flash through 6 inch folding softbox. Stack of 5.

Liking and appreciating the affordable lens, DoF and diffuser talk.

What do I need to to do get better sharpness?

joat mon fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Jun 21, 2019

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Infinite Karma posted:

These are great, awesome framing of the focal plane combined with the flea (it's a flea, right?) in the first one. But these are staged with dead critters, right? I can't imagine it's possible to do a focus stack on live bugs?

These look sharp at screen resolution, but if you're pixel peeping, are you also using an off-camera trigger and a 2-second shutter delay to minimize camera shake?

Thanks!
The first one is a planthopper nymph.
The fly is dead, but the planthopper and spider were very much alive and very much moving. The shots were handheld with fixed focus and 'pushing' the focus through the scene. The lens is resting on my left hand which is resting on the fencewire/deck rail.
I got 3 good stacks of the planthopper from 40 ish pictures taken. The spider was probably 350 shots to get 6 decent stacks.

When I get a subject that stays relatively still, like crab spiders or ambush bugs I'll use a tripod and a manual focus rack to build stacks. When I use a flash I don't see any difference between a 2 second delay+hands off vs. just smoothly pressing the shutter button.

joat mon fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Jun 21, 2019

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

jarlywarly posted:

Figured the thread needed some body horror to balance out the the lovely macros we normally get

A sweet little baby ladybug!

Gorgeous picture, though. What camera/lens? Single shot?

Here's my body horror macro pic:

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Slide rails vs using the focus ring when you're tripod mounted? What do ya'll prefer? I'm just using the focus ring, when I played around with a slide rail it felt like I was causing slight movements each time I made an adjustment, less so than adjusting the focus ring with the tripod head clamped down.

Focus rail, here. I feel I have better control of the depth of each step in focus and haven't had any alignment problems with stacks.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Rock My Socks! posted:

I’m sure this has been asked before, but any recommendations for free and easy to use focus stacking software? I just got a new camera that does focus bracketing but it doesn’t combine the images in-camera.

Zerene stacker has a 30 day free trial. Then buy it.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

The lighting is amazing.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Ha! Was just about to post the same video.

NOTE: The best pictures in that video were taken with the 10-17 Pentax.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

It's not on a macro lens, but I've been using a Raynox 250 on a 200mm lens and getting decent results around 2x. Stacking is pretty much necessary, though.
Don't start with a Raynox 250. It will be too frustrating while you build your skill. Start with a 150.
This is the one decent single shot I've gotten with the 250:

If you can find a way to brace a finger between something solid and the lens or use a shooting stick or put some tension on a branch or leaf, you can get some nice handheld stacks.

These are stacks of 3 to 13.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Comic relief lighting option:

But it works pretty well.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Cool.
I caught this neat little dude a couple days ago.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Hypsosinga Rubens, I think? They're very cool looking, haven't found one in a while. Nice shot!

That's what I think for ID, as well. It's the first one I've seen. It's a nice start to the season!

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

We caught some tadpoles in a pond and are going to raise them. They're at the stage where they have the cool Spiral guts, anyone have creative solutions for how to get good macros of them?

1) Put them in a 1/2 inch to inch of water in a 10 gallon aquarium, rest each short edge of the aquarium on a (different) chair, lie under the aquarium and shoot from below.

2) Put 2-3 inches of water in a container and put a section of mirror in the bottom of the container, shoot a little off vertical so you can get top and bottom in the same shot (e: no, I think focus won't work for top and bottom at the same time)

joat mon fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Apr 13, 2021

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

That's amazing!

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

They're all good, but the Crab Spider is especially nice.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Mega Comrade posted:

If I can't focus stack or focus bracket in camera. What's the best technique for taking pictures for focus stacking later. This would be handheld.

I can set my focus manually and slowly pull and push the focus while bursting, or is it better to keep the focus the same and rock back and forth?

I've always kept focus the same and pushed in. I don't use burst, the sound makes me want to push too fast.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Mega Comrade posted:

Also how on earth do you do Ants? Those bastards do not stop moving.

Patience, take lots of shots,

Get something to hold the ant

Get the ant to hold something

Get lucky

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Very cool.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Spitting spiders are just cute. My daughter completed the picture on one a few years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Cooool.

Because cooool.