Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

u got mares in yr house
Feb 23, 2001

sanka posted:

In situations like that I much prefer to use my Raynox DCR-150 or DCR-250. They give a lot better working distance, with no noticeable loss in image quality. I love those little guys, and they are worth far more than they cost.
I agree with you wholeheartedly on the Raynox adapters. I have the DCR-250 and the thing is sharp, way sharper than one would expect a close-up filter to be. I took these using it mounted on a Tamron 90mm f/2.8.

For anyone looking to get into macro on the cheap, a DCR-250 mounted on even one of the cheaper telephotos like the Nikon 55-200 f/4-5.6 VR will get you something like 1.7:1 magnification.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

u got mares in yr house
Feb 23, 2001

Pompous Rhombus posted:

I have nothing against spiders (I helped a jumping spider get out of harm's way when I was taking a shower yesterday) but that picture is still very :aaa:

Just curious, do any of you use autofocus?

I find AF pretty pointless with macro. The depth of field is so narrow you can never be sure exactly where the focus point lies, especially when the AF brackets obscure so much of the view. I have had some success with AF-C when shooting moving insects, though it mostly comes down to shooting wildly and hoping the eyes are in focus. vv

InternetJunky posted:

Some amazing photos in this thread!

Quick question about cheapo light boxes...

What's the best material to use for the sides to let the light in? One guide I found said tracing paper but I'm not sure about how to get that. Can I substitute in parchment paper (used in baking)? Is there something else I can use that's better?
I don't see why not. Whatever you do don't use regular A4 paper, as the blue dye they put in it to make the paper seem whiter can really mess up your white balance. I just use a plastic storage bin.

u got mares in yr house
Feb 23, 2001

Try moving the lamp further away from the side panel. The closer it is the more light passes straight through rather than hitting the panel and diffusing. You'll probably have to increase exposure time to compensate for the light loss, but your light will be softer.

u got mares in yr house
Feb 23, 2001

fuzzies

u got mares in yr house
Feb 23, 2001

Can't really say, I've never used the 150.

I just mounted the DCR-250 on the Nikon 18-55 kit lens and shot this at 55mm. Please excuse the fact that it's not all in focus, it was hard to come at a perfect right angle without breaking out the tripod.

Click here for the full 1920x1275 image.

Anyway, that's approximately 40 mm on a sensor about 21 mm across, making a magnification ratio of 1:2 on a crop body camera. Not terrible, but not "true" 1:1 macro either. Since the only difference between the 150 and the 250 seems to be the diopter(going by the specs at least), I'd probably go with the 250 if the 18-55 is the longest lens you've got.

u got mares in yr house
Feb 23, 2001

Hey axolotl farmer could you take a crack at IDing this? Looks like a huntsman to me based upon on my limited knowledge, but the front legs look too long?

Sorry if you find the reflection distracting, I was trying something new.

u got mares in yr house
Feb 23, 2001

axolotl farmer posted:

Could be the Green lynx Spider Peucetia viridans
:doh: I made that post in a hurry and typed huntsman when I meant green lynx. I too strongly suspect it's a green lynx but again, I can't get over how freaky the legs are in mine.

diarrhea for girls posted:

Good god, I love that style. It actually looks like a 3d render. I hope you can find all sorts of creepy crawlies to photograph like that. In regards to the ID, I agree with axolotl farmer on it being a Green lynx. I don't see them around here too much, I ran across two or three last year and they're quite cool looking and easy to photograph so I'm hoping to see more this year.

My most recent macro isn't too exciting, just a dandelion before I mowed over it, haha. 40D/Sigma 105mm:

Aw thanks. My setup was actually pretty simple, I put it on a small mirror with a flash firing through a diffuser panel held up against one side at a 45º angle. Nice dandelion too. :)

u got mares in yr house
Feb 23, 2001

Jumpers :hellyeah:

u got mares in yr house
Feb 23, 2001

^^^
I used to rock something like that when I first started shooting macro, but the constant looks and questions I would get started to bother me. Can't deny it actually works though.

scottch posted:

Holy poo poo, is that webbing?

seravid posted:

Great shot, MrFrosty. Very clean, good lighting. I'm not usually fond of profiles, but the thread of silk (I hope it's that) changes that, very nice.
Thanks, and yeah it was trailing silk, though I didn't even notice it in the LCD till I looked at the file on my pc. If I had known it was doing that I would have done... something to make it more visible.

seravid posted:

Didn't know they recognized reflexions (which makes sense considering their excellent vision), I HAVE to try that!
They'll also chase laser pointers around. :3:

a foolish pianist posted:

Has anyone here used the Tamron 90mm 2.8? I'd like to get a decent, cheap-ish macro for knocking around tide pools this summer.
All my shots here were taken with the Tamron. For the price you pay it is an amazing lens, but there are a couple of problems with it that the more expensive macros don't have.

For one, the lens doesn't have an internal focusing mechanism, meaning that at 1:1 magnification the lens barrel extends to almost double the length. With your eye behind the viewfinder it is sometimes difficult to get a sense of just how close the end of the barrel is to the subject.

Also I don't really like the way you have to slide the focusing ring back and forth to change between AF and MF instead of just flicking a switch, but this is just a matter of personal preference.

Still, it is just as sharp as the high-end Nikon/Canon macros at a fraction of the price. A real steal IMO.

u got mares in yr house
Feb 23, 2001

Any idea what kind of magnification you're getting with that setup? I think I would kill for that kind of DOF at f/11.

u got mares in yr house
Feb 23, 2001

One advantage extension tubes on a macro lens have over the basic macro lens is the increase in focal length allows you to get the same magnification from further away. Can be handy for skittish bugs. You lose the ability to focus to infinity focus though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

u got mares in yr house
Feb 23, 2001

sirbeefalot posted:

That's beautiful. Got a link to a bigger version?

I haven't shot any decent macro in ages, but here's one I'm kinda happy with.

* by foogray, on Flickr