Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

jarlywarly posted:

Anyone got any strong opinions on focus stacking software, Zerene or Helicon? Zerene seems cool but Helicon can input raw, both are expensive.
I use helicon for my photomicrographs and like it. I have heard great things about Zerene too. Helicon has a 30 day trial of the pro version which should give a very good idea of whether it does what you need. Don't buy the basic version by the way, you can't do manual fixes with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

A neat diffraction pattern on a fracture (cleavage plane) inside a crystal of zircon. I had never seen one that followed the crystal structure this way or produced such striking colors.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Reviews I have read on photomacrography suggest they are surprisingly decent in some cases, but still not as good as exporting source images and stacking them yourself. But I haven't sought out the topic specifically so searching on a model by model basis could give better information.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

I picked up a preconverted canon t6 for a friend on eBay for about the cost of a new one and it worked great for him.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

joat mon posted:

Comic relief lighting option:

But it works pretty well.

Good lord, he's been pizza blasted!
(I think I am going to try this).

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

I have no idea what I'm doing, but I wanted to be able to do some field macro (most of what I do is photomicrography of gems and minerals). I used my 3d printer to make a mount for this lens out of a 20 dollar primefilm film scanner:

Seems to work well on aps-c (though I am used to not having internal focusing or aperture). Gives about a 75mm FoV when mounted as pictured. It's at least good enough to scratch the itch when I'm on a nature trail, though it wouldn't be great for a moving target.

Red Chanterelles(?) by Stephen Challener, on Flickr

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

I don't think anyone will ever complain about seeing cool SEM imagery, but there is a microscopes and photomicrography microthread over here which could really use some activity.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Cogratulations! That shot is great, definitely well-earned.

Scarodactyl fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Apr 8, 2021

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

I just got back from a trip to NY and finally had a chance to try out my Kubotek line scan lens in the field. I still have very little idea what I'm doing--turns out non-studio macro is pretty different from working on a microscope, who'd have thought. Still had a lot of fun with it anyway. The long-legged flies and dragonflies decided to be unusually cooperative.

This one was sort of stacked, or at least clumsily combined from two photos.
long legged fly on raspberry by Stephen Challener, on Flickr

green dragonfly by Stephen Challener, on Flickr

brown dragonfly face by Stephen Challener, on Flickr

These damselflies were particularly fun to watch in motion--the spot on their tail almost looks fluorescent, and in the shadows they look like a pair of spots gliding through the air.
damselfly on knotweed by Stephen Challener, on Flickr

Scarodactyl fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Jun 23, 2021

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

I was just trying out an omegaron enlarger lens I've had for a while but hadn't had a chance to actually use. I prefer my linescan lens, but for a ~$20 lens (plus a $23 helicoid and adapters) it seems to perform pretty well.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Cool! Looks like you're getting good results. Which lens did you get?
Spotted this leaf-footed bug(?) on my peppers today.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

theHUNGERian posted:

Dope!

Besides cost, is there any reason you didn't go with the MP-E?
The Laowa is significantly better than the MP-E in image quality in its mag range. The MP-E didn't even make it into the lineup on Robert OToole's tests here https://www.closeuphotography.com/laowa-25mm-macro-lens-test

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

There are a lot of factors for selecting the right objective and lens (called a 'tube lens'). You need to get an infinity objective of an appropriate brand (one that isn't expecting special optics to correct aberrations). You also need to be sure your lens is suitable--most infinity objectives want to be put on a 180mm or 200mm lens, though they can usually tolerate some variation (longer focal length lenses will increase mag, shorter will reduce it). If you use a zoom lens it will generally introduce vignetting if you go much below the maximum zoom.
It's not the most active but there is a thread for photomicrography as well if you want to get more in depth about micro gear. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3902840&pagenumber=2&perpage=40

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

theHUNGERian posted:

I am potentially interested in magnifications between 2x and 5x without crazy short working distances, and without going below the image quality of my 180 mm Canon macro at 1x, but I am not interested in stacking. Perhaps microscope objectives are not the way to go. Will have to read a bit more.
As mag starts to increase you end up on the knife's edge of diffraction at all times, and if you combat that with higher resolution optics the depth of field gets very shallow very fast. You can recover some decent image quality at web resolution if you're willing to sharpen the crap out of a diffracted source image though (see these shots with a laowa 100mm 2x with 2 2x teleconverters(!!))
You might want to consider a Nikon MM5x on aps-c (or full frame with a teleconverter). 64mm working distance, good resolution, not apochromatic but not bad. You just need empty spacers, and if you use a helicoid you can push the mag down a ways, at least to 3x from the one I tried.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Teleconverters resize your image without changing the resolution. Extension tubes can increase resolution along with increasing magnification. Which will give better results will be pretty contextual.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

You make a compelling case. Nice shots!

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Mega Comrade posted:

Man this stuff is HARD. Fun though.

"DOOT"

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

It's a pretty incredible advancement, though I have yet to see testing I'm fully satisfied with (ie Robert O'Toole of closeuphotography.com). It should be at least comparable to a suite of Mitutoyo objectives (though not usable for me since I need coaxial illumination).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

It is manual, yes.