Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jook
Jul 16, 2002
What is regarded as the best bang for the buck for a really cheap (<$50) setup? I know it's been discussed in the thread a bit and I've tried to find the answers elsewhere but it doesn't seem like there's any clear answer..

-Extension Tubes + a reversed prime (like this youtube video posted earlier)?
-Lens Coupler (to mount say, a 50mm backwards on a 18-55mm kit lens)?
-Raynox DCR-150/250?
-1x/2x/4x/10x filters?

Of course I'd love to grab a real macro lens someday but for now I'd just like to find a decent cheap option to have fun with.

If it helps I've got the following already: 18-55mm kit, 50mm, 30mm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jook
Jul 16, 2002
Well I ended up going the super cheap route.. I grabbed some $11 extension tubes from Amazon (link).

Having a lot of fun with them.. Of course there's no AF/aperture control, but that's easily remedied. Here's a shot I took with the tubes -- these flowers were ~2 inches across at best:

Click here for the full 1024x683 image.

Still I think I'd like to keep experimenting.. anyone have experience using older non EF macro lenses? An older Takumar macro lens with an m42->EF adapter for example? I can already tell I'm probably going to end up spending enough just messing around to regret not just getting a Canon 100mm 2.8 macro from the start..

Jook
Jul 16, 2002
^^ That robber fly shot is incredible.. did you use a flash and if so how did you diffuse?

-

Finally got to try out my Tamron 90 a bit more. I realized I need a lot more practice, so many missed shots. Maybe I should find some slower subjects.

Jook
Jul 16, 2002

TheLastManStanding posted:

Macro that isn't bugs :aaa:

This is really cool.. well worth the 20!

I found this little guy when I went to grab something in the closet today -- he's atop a clothes hanger.. jumpers are way too cool, I wish I could have gotten a shot of him rearing up at me.

half-a-day later edit: pretty happy with this and some other shots I've been taken with a new DIY flash diffuser.. Ikea, 4 bucks.

Jook fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Aug 15, 2011

Jook
Jul 16, 2002
Some incredible shots from everyone.. I really like the stickbug and moth.

I have a Tamron 90mm but wanted to get in a bit closer so I was considering a Raynox DCR-250 but instead found a Tamron 2x teleconverter for nearly the same price.. I'm having a lot of fun with it. One question though about the tele - with the camera showing f11.. is that really f11? Do I need to compensate by going 2 stops higher (f14) to get the same dof as I'd get without the tele?

Here's a few shots from today

Jook
Jul 16, 2002

Ringo R posted:

Cool. Do you have other shots taken with the diffuser? Thanks for the link. Will have to try it out when IKEA opens here.

nothing decent, sorry.. after thinking about it a bit I believe it worked so well with that jumping spider because it was inside a closet (multiple walls/close ceiling) so there was a lot of bounce. It's still great material for diffusing though and I plan to try to work it into my new lovely setup which is now using a paper towel on a cut up pringles can - bracket/diffuser inspired by this.

Shot this today with that setup. I believe this is a fruit fly, about 1/4th the size of a regular house fly. It's sitting on a bicycle wheel spoke.

Jook
Jul 16, 2002

somnambulist posted:

Wow this is great. What set up are you using for these? I tried to peek at the exif data but there wasn't any. I have the 100mm L macro and I'm thinking of getting the extension tubes in the distant future, hopefully I can do some similar things with that set up.

Canon t1i - Tamron 90mm + Tamron 2x teleconverter (just got this.. still need to do some tests to see how much IQ I'm losing by using it) - I can't check now but this was probably shot @ f16, 1/125, iso 200 with a cheap Yongnuo flash at 1/32 power directly above the lens diffused through a paper towel. I still have a lot to learn and a lot to tweak but I'm having a lot of fun. You could do this too with your setup, easily.

seravid posted:

Light is a little hard, try putting your diffuser closer to your subjects or, alternatively, getting a larger diffuser (both have their pros and cons).

fake edit: oh right, you're going for a new design, hadn't noticed.

Yeah.. I'm already looking to destroy some tupperware and use up even more duct tape.

Jook
Jul 16, 2002

Rovasti posted:

Bought a reverse ring for my old 50mm Pentax lens and some cheap extension tubes. I do not yet have an external flash, but i really need to buy one as soon as possible.

you're doing pretty good without one.. if you want to go cheap make sure to check out Yongnuo.. I've got the 468 which does E-TTL and most everything else you'd want for <$100 usd.

A few new shots from over the weekend..

Jook
Jul 16, 2002
I've only gotten a dragonfly to stay still once.. I chase (stalk) those bastards all the time and it's like they're loving with me - creep up, focus, about to shoot and bam, gone.

Some new shots from earlier this week:

spiders! (1,2)

Jook
Jul 16, 2002

Martytoof posted:

I'd love to automate this, hence why I'd love to find out how the guy in this video might have done it.

I've had this bookmarked for awhile as I've wanted to try it but haven't yet.. no idea if it's the same one as in the video but it's free and claims to do what you want.

http://milosparipovic.com/index.php/dlsr-bracketeer/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jook
Jul 16, 2002

Atticus_1354 posted:

So I need some advice guys. I have a Raynox DCR-250 coming to give macro stuff a try. However I still need a flash so I can hand shoot since with the wind out here a tripod and slower shutter speed are going to suck. I have a Nikon D3000 right now and will be upgrading, but that will be several months down the line. So what flash should I look at for around $150?

I'd recommend grabbing a Yongnuo 468, a cheap e-ttl cable and a cheap flash bracket/ballhead. DIY diffuser and you should be set for ~150.