Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gambl0r
Dec 25, 2003

LOCAL MAN
RUINS
EVERYTHING

aliencowboy posted:

This thread is tempting me to buy some tubes to attatch to my 50mm 1.8, but I really don't know much about them. What results do the different lengths of tube give? What would you suggest to a beginner who wants to snap the occasional picture of some insects?

Go with a Kenko set... you get three different lengths that you can use individually or together for less money than a single 1st-party extension tube. Since the tubes contain no glass elements, you will see no difference in image quality or anything like that. The more recent Kenko sets work with EF and EF-S lenses (assuming you're on Canon - they make Nikon sets too) and maintain autofocus (up to a point... the longer the tubes you use, the less likely autofocus is to work).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gambl0r
Dec 25, 2003

LOCAL MAN
RUINS
EVERYTHING

Rontalvos posted:

I wanna try macro but I'm far too cheap to buy am actual macro lens. Are extension tubes a worthwhile way to try it out? Is there a reason I shouldn't buy the cheap $11 set on amazon.com?

The only lenses I have for my Canon 40D are a Tamron 17-50 f2.8, Canon 28-135 3.5-5.6, and a 70-200 F4L, will I get decent results with at least one of these lenses in combination with extension tubes?

Get a set of tubes, its the easiest and cheapest way to start out with macro. They should work with any of your lenses, but I think the Tamron set to 50mm will work best. Also, 11 dollars? That price makes the Kenko set seem like the luxury line :D

Studebaker Hawk posted:

Cheap MP-E came up on my RSS this morning, fwiw

I missed it... do I dare ask what the price was?... was it much cheaper than what they go for on eBay?

Gambl0r fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Dec 5, 2010

Gambl0r
Dec 25, 2003

LOCAL MAN
RUINS
EVERYTHING
Yeah, Rontalvos- the lenses that you already listed will work fine with a set of tubes, and you don't need (or want) autofocus but you neeeed aperture control. Don't buy a FD lens, the ~$60 Kenko set is going to be the cheapest option.

Gambl0r fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Dec 7, 2010

Gambl0r
Dec 25, 2003

LOCAL MAN
RUINS
EVERYTHING
These are definitely not going to win any photography awards, but I was amazed they came out so good for being handheld.

It's a nudibranch (a saltwater creature / aquarium pest) in a water bottle, lit with a flashlight and taken with a 5DmkII and the 100mm L macro w/ 68mm extension tubes at closest focusing distance. It's probably 5mm long.

And its eggs - the disc is about 3mm wide. I found it unbelievable that you can make out the cell walls (or whatever this would be called) in the top-right part. I wish I had got the whole thing in the focus plane.

I had hoped to do a lot of macrophotography of my reef tank when I got into this new hobby, but I didn't make a wise choice for my tank... it's made of cheap acrylic and has a curved front, which makes it a huge pain to shoot through. My next tank will definitely will have a low-iron flat glass front so I can get much better photos. I was really happy with this shot, though:

There is a 'sweet spot' where things at the front, center of the tank aren't horribly distorted.

Gambl0r fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Jan 28, 2012

Gambl0r
Dec 25, 2003

LOCAL MAN
RUINS
EVERYTHING
Soooo, this woman's macrophotography is currently on some design blogs:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/twomeows/sets/72157628096684316/
(The more impressive ones are toward the end)

How much of this do you think is done in-camera, and how much is post? I mean... are you freaking kidding me ?

I realize she is getting great, sharp shots... but the insane color in the backgrounds and flowers, the too-good-to-be-true bokeh, the perfectly placed rain falling... is this for real?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gambl0r
Dec 25, 2003

LOCAL MAN
RUINS
EVERYTHING
I haven't been shooting much macro in a while... other than my fishtank, which I'll save for some other post. I was out shooting a few flowers last weekend:

I have a Canon 100mm L macro which has failed once on me, about two years ago. When it happened, I was shooting straight down, with AF and IS turned on... it made a grinding sound while focusing and then AF stopped working on the lens. This was within the one year warranty period, so I sent it back to Canon and they 'fixed it' for free. They wrote in the service notes 'Do not disconnect lens from body while focusing', which I had not done. This annoyed me, but at least it was 'fixed'. Yesterday I was shooting the same way: straight down (as seen in the 2nd shot above) with IS and AF turned on, and the grinding started happening again. I've had this happen one other time in the past two years, and both times I just stopped focusing before any permanent damage occurred. Has anyone experienced this with the 100L or other lens?