Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

I love shooting macro stuff, both insects with a 100mm Canon

and super closeups with the 100mm and a reversal ring and a home made lightbox

Need to get a flash this year I feel

edit: argh pics wont link

edit2: fixed, but guy below me has kindly reposted them so I don't want to post them twice

Alctel fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Mar 24, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Thanks - I reinstalled my machine and forgot I had a greasemonkey extension that does the conversion for me. Fixed now!

Tongsy posted:

I'm waiting for my Canon 100mm f2.8 to show up, should be here tomorrow if all goes well, and this weekend will be full of shooting flowers and bugs if i can get outside ot find some (supposed to rain all weekend, boo)

Have fun, I want to marry mine. Although its hot new relative, the IS version has me drooling

Alctel fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Mar 24, 2010

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Tongsy posted:

I had the IS version before, I ended up returning it to the store because I didn't feel like the IS was good enough to justify the 200% premium over a used USM non-IS.

But yeah, it's probably my favourite lens that i have now.

Oh really? That helps make me less jealous, I thought it'd be great for shooting insects

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

I am extremely impressed with the DCR-250 from what I see in this thread, I may have to buy one and stick it on my Canon 100mm since its probably a lot easier than fiddling around with the reversal ring in the lightbox (which is what I do now).

I also can't wait till the bugs come out - last year I shot entirely in natural light, but thinking of picking up a flash this year (like a 430ex or something) and then making my own flash bracket.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

InternetJunky posted:

Just got this contraption in the mail yesterday:

Haven't had a chance to test it out much yet but I think it's going to help me get a lot more keepers. It's fairly heavy and awkward though.

I am thinking about getting one of these. Let me know how it is

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Anyone use a 60D here for insects in the wild? How useful is the movable LCD screen?

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

I am having a shitter of a time finding a macro flash bracket in Ottawa or on ebay, even the Manfrotto 330b seems to be out of stock everywhere (tried 3 camera shops)

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Danoss posted:

That sucks Alctel.

The one I have is the Hakuba LH-1 (sometimes listed as LH1 or L-H1). They're usually quite common on ebay, I was shocked to find there are none currently on there.

Good luck finding one man. They're a great bracket, especially for the price.

Yeah, that was my first choice :)

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Studebaker Hawk posted:

I have a flash bracket that I can sell you:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=NavBar&A=getItemDetail&Q=&sku=737249&is=REG&si=rev#costumerReview

Not sure how much to ship to Canada but I would take 15+shipping

Not really as flexible as what I am looking for, thanks though

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Finally got all my new kit in (used to just use 100mm Canon 2.8 w/ XTI - got a 7D and added a 430ex with a flash bracket and cheap diffuser)

Went out and shot for an afternoon before fall really hit - first impressions are that using a flash allowed me to get a LOT more shots than I was used to.

Fly on tree by alctel, on Flickr

moth by alctel, on Flickr

This last was is too 'lit up' if that makes sense, I think I needed to dial down the flash a tad for that, or get a better diffuser.

jumper by alctel, on Flickr

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

It's a Manfrotto 330B Macro Flash Bracket

It's pretty good, feels very solid and well-made - comes with two arms, I took one off though. I'm also going to add a cheap little ballhead to make it more flexible.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Tambaloneus posted:

Those shots are phenomenal - are you still using the 100mm for these?

Yup, the non-IS version - it really is an amazing lens

Slightly related - all the exif data that used to come across automatically now seems to be stripped - grrrrr

Raikyn posted:

BetterLekNextTime posted:

FINALLY got one of these shots.

These are great, what kit/lighting did you use?

Alctel fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Nov 2, 2011

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

quote =! edit

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

BetterLekNextTime posted:

I'm assuming you're talking to Raikyn- mine was natural light (and those are much better photos). In case anyone cares- I used the same lens as you (Canon 100mm 2.8 non-L),60D, with the big and small from the three-pack Opteka extension tubes, on a tripod. f6.3, 1/500s, ISO 500.

tripod and extension tubes? You have more patience than me ;)

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Raikyn posted:

I used a 7D + MPE-65 + 580exII for mine, taken at 1:1, I usually use that or a Tamron 90mm for the bigger stuff.

Just taken this at 4:1

I would LOVE the MPE-65 , but apparently it's a real bastard to use well. Nice pic!

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Yeah, getting so close without spooking the insect must be tough - I bet you also need a TON of light so can't stop down too much.

It's still probably going to be my next purchase however

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Finally got my drat camera out

Fly head by alctel, on Flickr

Cricket 2 by alctel, on Flickr

Cricket by alctel, on Flickr

I love this

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Amazing, those colours are gorgeous. Did you use a flash?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

InternetJunky posted:

I have enough trouble with birds in flight -- bee in flight is very impressive!

I don't know how you guys get these shots in the wild. Hand-held I can't come close to this, and with a tripod the bug has to be dead already to still be there when I finally get set up.

Continuing with my fruit experiment...

I love these fruit ones :)