Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
This one links to the full-size, because it's worth it to be able to count the grains of dust on his eyeball.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<

fordan posted:

(and the tripod they convinced me to get; it was all told a very expensive class by the time I was done).
There are people here who swear up and down on tripods for good macro photography (and the good ones, like snipe, can back it up), but it will teach you a new meaning of the word "patience."

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

brb wailin on dad posted:

That's what macro focusing rails are for
Still, there's nothing quite like hauling around a tripod (legs already extended, because you don't want to move too much when you find a bug worth shooting), setting it down (without the legs brushing against a branch), adjusting your height and angle, and then having the subject fly away at the last second. If you want really fantastic macro shots a tripod can give amazing results, but dear Christ it takes the patience of Job and the steady hand of a surgeon.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

Stew Man Chew posted:

My god, Jackpot what did you get those pictures with?
Canon 100mm/2.8 macro, and most were shot on my XTi. Used a Vivitar 285 for flash, except for the bright green dragonfly where I was just shitass lucky on the focus, shooting at f/5 with no flash. The fuckoff-big pics of the dragonfly at top and moth at bottom were fun - they were each the biggest bastards I'd ever seen, and they were so fearless (or scared stiff) that they let me get right on top of them for multiple shots.

Neat thing about butterflies: they're faster than light. Or something. When a butterfly's perched he'll spend a lot of his time slowly opening and closing his wings, so you time it to get the shot with his wings open. But over and over again they keep beating me - I'll time it perfectly, take the shot, and when I preview it I'll see that their wings are closed. Sometimes I'll just take my eye off the viewfinder completely and watch what's happening, and sure enough - as soon as I hit the shutter their wings snap shut, faster than the camera can take the picture. It's fascinating. And it's only with wild butterflies that that happens. I shot hundreds of them in a butterfly exhibit and didn't have that problem; guess they were used to it.

The evilest dragonfly:

An arachnophobe's nightmare:

Ladybugs: not as cute/friendly in real life:

brb wailin on dad posted:

Ok speaking of tripods: people posting bomb-rear end bug shots in this thread what are you using? Handheld or tripod? AF or manual? Live view or viewfinder?
Handheld, manual focus, viewfinder. Handheld because I don't have the patience/skill to use a tripod, manual focus because when your depth of field is in millimeters it's much easier just to set the focus somewhere and move the camera where you need it, and viewfinder because I just haven't played around with live view much, although I should.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

Raikiri posted:

Edit: Is this loading for anyone? No hosts seem to be working for me.
I think this is what you were trying to post, and by the way it's awesome :)

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

Raikiri posted:

You know, if you could securely attach a gorillapod onto your wooden bracket you could really get some flexibility with that setup.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

Cyberbob posted:

These are gorgeous; I don't suppose you took a picture of what your setup looked like?

orange lime posted:

The detail in this is insane, jesus.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

Blindeye posted:

Do any of you have advice for practicing/getting a better hang of manual focus?
Manual is just one of those things you have to practice. Some do fine using autofocus, but for me personally I've found it's usually easier just to pre-focus and then (slowly, ever so slowly) move my body forward and backward as I need it. If AF works for you then go for it; just put it on AI-servo, set your focus point where you want it, and good luck. Focusing's a bitch either way when you're that close.

Raikiri posted:

Won't be taking any more for a little while though, due to a slight injury.

Fuuuuckkkkkk :/
I'm counting five fingers and they seem to still be in the right order...?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

There's some outrageous quality on the previous page, kudos to all.