Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wooten
Oct 4, 2004

Here's one from a monopoly set I did for shits and giggles. I lit it with bounce flash off the ceiling and it shows. I'm really considering a ring flash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wooten
Oct 4, 2004

Hop Pocket posted:

What would happen if you put extension tubes on a 100mm f/2.8 macro? Would the camera implode? Or would you simply get greater magnification?

I'm asking because I have a macro lens and it seems like some of these really awesome photos get so much more magnification that I'm used to seeing.

I've done it a few times. It is really hard to use. The DoF is razor thin even stopped down and it's really really hard to keep your focus without a tripod. It does feel a bit like a microscope though. I didn't have any examples to show you so I took some. Because I don't have anything better to do at midnight on a Sunday.

Here is the lens without extension tubes. This is uncropped at the lens's minimum focus distance.

This is with the extension tubes, also at the minimum focus distance uncropped. Please forgive the inconsistent lighting between the photos. I was holding the flash and couldn't get it to match exactly. I also had to put the flash almost against the table for this shot which made it look really red. Keep in mind that I used a Kenko extension tube set, so this is third party air.

EDIT: I should probably mention that this is on a full frame.

Wooten fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Aug 23, 2010

Wooten
Oct 4, 2004

Haggins posted:

What is it?

It's a stink bug. Very common in the fall and winter in the northeastern part of the country.

Wooten
Oct 4, 2004

ricepaddydaddy posted:

Is that with the Canon mp-e65? That is really impressive.

The EXIF says "EF100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM".

Wooten
Oct 4, 2004

Pill Bug by cclunie, on Flickr

Fly on a Daisy by cclunie, on Flickr

Wooten
Oct 4, 2004

ijyt posted:

Well, I've decided to grab the Sigma (105), but that last comment - is the flash necessary? I can imagine it being useful when shooting stuff below a canopy in a dense forest. Would a 430EX II suffice or do I need a crazy multi-flash setup?

IMHO macro gets a lot more interesting with a flash, the ability to stop way down or use extension tubes hinges on it, you also get to be more versatile in your subjects and how you choose to shoot them. I do all mine with a single 580EXII, but it's a little overpowered, I have actually stunned a fly causing it to fall from it's perch with the 580 set too high. The thing about macro is that you are basically putting your flash a couple inches from your subject, so you won't ever really need to go full power on it, even at f/16+. The most important part is getting the flash where you want it, so a ttl cord/transmitter is a must. You're also going to find that your arm is getting tired fast, so a bracket will probably be in your near future. The other thing you might want to think about is a diffuser for your flash, even if it's just some paper towels.

These were all taken with a single flash.

these ants are friends by cclunie, on Flickr

Portrait of a Fly by cclunie, on Flickr

goliath is vanquished by cclunie, on Flickr

Wooten
Oct 4, 2004

ijyt posted:

That's a pretty convincing argument. There's a 430EX II going for £120 and a 580EX II for £200 (assuming they haven't been sold yet), but I think I'll go for the 430, as I'm already stretching my budget a bit.

e: with the transmitter, are you saying the in-built wireless of the 60D won't be enough?

If it's anything like my 7D then it will work most of the time in most situations, but it's going to be way more annoying than just a wire or a couple pocket wizards or similar wireless transceivers.

Wooten
Oct 4, 2004

ijyt posted:

As a hobbyist, thanks for supplying example images - it really helps. As an arachnophobe - jesus christ no.

Now I know why people were lamenting the lack of a pc socket on the 60D. Those pocket wizards seem pretty expensive, man this is getting silly.

The $15 TTL cable is good enough though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wooten
Oct 4, 2004

The 50mm and a lens reverser or some extension tubes would be a pretty good start.