Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

For a ghetto macro/ringlight, I tried shooting through my magnifying work light at work and got decent pictures.

Work light similar to what I used
http://www.officedepot.com/a/produc...r:referralID=NA

Example picture

Now it's time to use that Raynox ring I got last week.

Stew Man Chew posted:

What about a gorillapod? Seems to be quickly adjustable and relatively light / not cumbersome. Definitely a monopod will probably be my next equipment purchase.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

If you need a good diffuser that doesn't take up much space and aren't self-conscious about looking ridiculous inflating it, get one of these.

http://www.amazon.com/Opteka-Inflatable-Universal-Diffuser-External/dp/B001GRU1AA/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1272209308&sr=1-5

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Jook posted:

What is regarded as the best bang for the buck for a really cheap (<$50) setup? I know it's been discussed in the thread a bit and I've tried to find the answers elsewhere but it doesn't seem like there's any clear answer..

-Extension Tubes + a reversed prime (like this youtube video posted earlier)?
-Lens Coupler (to mount say, a 50mm backwards on a 18-55mm kit lens)?
-Raynox DCR-150/250?
-1x/2x/4x/10x filters?

Of course I'd love to grab a real macro lens someday but for now I'd just like to find a decent cheap option to have fun with.

If it helps I've got the following already: 18-55mm kit, 50mm, 30mm.
The Raynox DCR-250 on the nifty fifty is a great combo, it completely covers the frame on a crop sensor and the optical quality is already great. Not being able to zoom won't be an issue since it's macro.

Jook posted:

Still I think I'd like to keep experimenting.. anyone have experience using older non EF macro lenses? An older Takumar macro lens with an m42->EF adapter for example? I can already tell I'm probably going to end up spending enough just messing around to regret not just getting a Canon 100mm 2.8 macro from the start..
Without some sort of focusing screen, it's going to be frustrating and you're going to miss focus on most of your shots.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

sirbeefalot posted:

Bonus cellphone macro! (using a DVD laser lens)

I like the cut of your jib.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

the_lion posted:

Your post made me realise that i am in fact an idiot-my lenses already had other filters on them. You can't have two filters on at the same time, haha. Must be a lack of sleep...
You have some wacky-rear end filters, then. All of mine have front threading.

A5H posted:

Guys what's the best way for me to shoot macro on the cheap.
The lenses I currently have are the nifty 50, 8-16 sigma, 17-50 tamron and 70-200 F4L. I have some crappy cheap extension tubes but no AF.
I was thinking of grabbing the Raynox DCR-250 thing and using it with my 70-200L? Is it worth like £35? Will the images be pretty good?
Of those choices, I'd use the DCR-250 with the nifty 50 because the smaller front element means you won't get any vignetting on a crop body (sample.) You most likely still won't want to autofocus but it's a great combo for cheap macro.