Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jsmith114
Mar 31, 2005

I am thinking of picking up the dcr-250 to play around a bit as I have little to no experience with macro shooting. At the moment I have a 50/1.8, 28/2.8 and a 28-135. How would the dcr-250 work on the 28? Would it be worth getting a step down ring so that I can put it on the zoom? As I am just interested in getting my feet wet would I be better off with the 150 then the 250?

edit - this is all on a 1.6x crop sensor camera

jsmith114 fucked around with this message at 20:34 on May 29, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jsmith114
Mar 31, 2005

Thanks for your thoughts - I just started looking into extension tubes a bit. I think that may be a better option, but cost is an issue. Does anyone know if the Zeikos AF tubes are any good? With my limited knowledge I don't see much of any difference between that and the Kenko set except for ~$90. It looks like they both have electrical contacts though the complete lack of reviews on the Zeikos set is not the most reassuring. Not being able to meter or change my aperture would be a rather large drawback.

Or, I guess these are about the same price as the Zeikos but have metal on them.

jsmith114 fucked around with this message at 23:44 on May 29, 2010

jsmith114
Mar 31, 2005

The off brand extension tubes arrived yesterday and I must say they are a lot of fun. I am a complete nub to macro shooting but it is a rather refreshing challenge. I was a bit worried after reading some of the reviews of the Meike tubes, but they seem to work quite well. They lock onto the camera and all of my lenses as they should and the electrical contacts function properly. My only complaint is that the release lever feels a bit 'cheap', but when you consider the price they seem like a good buy.

Thanks again for all of the info in this thread.

For added content here is a shot of my cat's paw taken by a complete novice to macro shooting.

jsmith114
Mar 31, 2005

Thanks again for the suggestion to pick up some extension tubes. They have been a ton of fun.

jsmith114
Mar 31, 2005

I will withhold my judgment on the stinkbugs because I have captured the elusive snow poodle.