Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

A few macro shots I took recently.

Tamron SP AF 90mm, Nikon SB-60 with RayFlash

Nikon D7000, Tamron 90mm, full set of cheap Nikon F extension tubes and a RayFlash hanging off a SB-600.

Tamron 90mm, generic set of three extension tubes, Nikon SB60 flash + Rayflash,
Cree cycle torch for side illumination (and a bit o' depth)

The RayFlash has been pretty useful with macro lighting. The depth of field was so slight with the ant, if I focussed on the tree the ants were oof. Live view helped adjust focus (even though they were running around like headless chickens).

spookygonk fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Aug 17, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Wooten posted:

The 50mm and a lens reverser or some extension tubes would be a pretty good start.

Yeah, here's an AIS 50mm reversed on my old Nikon D70.

and here's a 28mm reversed:

spookygonk fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Sep 20, 2014

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Tricerapowerbottom posted:

If you are seriously into macro, I would just keep a Canon body and that lens asides for that purpose. You're not going to find a more capable lens by itself as far as I'm aware of, and would even have trouble matching it's technical specs with a rigged set up (outside of expensive microscope apertures matched to specific length fixed lenses, which ain't nearly as flexible and compact as the 65mm).
Yeah, I think this is going to be the best way, if only Nikon had a similar lens to the MP-E65mm... :argh:

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Starting my annual photo-a-day for July and had to dig out my Tamron 90mm with SB-600 and RayFlash combo to get a photo of an allium in the back garden as it's been the hottest day of the year (and the last six years) here in the UK.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Tamron 90mm with three cheap Chinese manual extension tubes. Right bugger to focus with my D7000 in liveview.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

July 06
by Spookygonk, on Flickr

Candy-stripe Spider or Comb-footed Spider (Enoplognatha ovata)

Spider came with a free tomato plant. Turns out I had left all my tripod gear at work so got this by balancing the D7000 and Tamron 90mm on a box, hitting 10 second timer and waving a LED torch about.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

July 31
by Spookygonk, on Flickr

Nikon D7000, Tamron 90mm f/2.8 + LED head torch

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

July 12th by Spookygonk, on Flickr

Tamron 90mm, Nikon D7000

Bonus photo showing setup for this.

spookygonk fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Jul 12, 2018

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

July 14th

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Nice juvenile Cthulu photo, must have spawned early this year.

July 18th

Nikon D7000 + 50mm f/1.8 & +4 close up lens

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Pooper Trooper posted:

Well poo poo, I just took my first "decent" macro shot of a bug, saw there's a macro thread, thought I'd post. Yeah, no. God drat you guys' shots are amazing.

Just post it dammit. I suck at photography most of the time, and it's my job too.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Pooper Trooper posted:

(click for huge)

Well, it's a bug. Taken with a point and shoot camera (Olympus TG-5) that supports macro mode.
That looks a shield bug (UK) or stink bug (USA). They look cute, but are bad for crops.

Good photo.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Found on my lawn yesterday morning

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Raikyn posted:

I find it's all about angles with the mp e-65. I can usually look at situation and think 'yep i'm never going to get a good shot out of this'

I can usually get shots i'm happy with at around x4-x5 but then again I won't shoot at x4-x5 unless i'm fairly certain i'll get it.

These I am happy with

Striped Mosquito by Marc, on Flickr

Ants by Marc, on Flickr

As always in insect macro, get the eyes in focus

On the other end of the scale I've been trying out a wide-angle macro lens. I think it's harder to use than the mp e-65 :(
But should be useful in certain situations

Holy cow!
These are amazing. Stacked shots or extreme DOF?

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

That MP-E65mm is a fantastic macro lens.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

This is a Holly Blue (Celastrina argiolus) having some moisture from the damp earth.
It's only 16mm in size (0.6 of an inch) so had to use my Nikon D7000 with Tamron 90mm macro lens to get close and sharp.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

LiterallyATomato posted:

EDIT: Ended up buying Tamron AF 90mm f/2.8 for Nikon.
I have one of those, it's a good, inexpensive lens.

With extension tubes:

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Amazing!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Mega Comrade posted:

A got a few more spot on but was just bug butts so not very interesting. Sadly all the other ones didn't work out, the wind was not helping.

Also how on earth do you do Ants? Those bastards do not stop moving.

Yes, ants in close-up are nigh on impossible to photograph as they are so drat fast.

Nikon D7000, Tamron 90mm, SB-600 & RayFlash and the longest of a cheap manual macro tube set (manfrotto tripod). Set up on the trunk of a pear tree where there was a steady stream on ants traveling up and down. Took so drat long to get focus and then get the right moment.

spookygonk fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Aug 11, 2023