Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord Fizzlebottom
May 3, 2005

I will show you wonderful, terrible things
I've been using an old Pentax 55mm M42 lens reversed against a Nikon zoom lens attached to a D40 for some fun macro shots. I posted a few of these in the SAD thread a little while back, so sorry for the repeat if anyone notices.

A quarter

Crushed red pepper flakes

Generic Italian seasoning

Ground cayenne pepper

The only thing I really want to do different is my lighting setup. I've been relying pretty heavily on a flash with paper ball lanterns surrounding the subject to fill things in a little. Should I just build a cheap light box for inside subjects and use natural lighting for outside subjects when possible?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Fizzlebottom
May 3, 2005

I just built a small light tent the other day. I really have to figure out a better lighting scheme, because I'm getting shadows all over the place.

Here's the setup

The bulbs are something like 23w (120w equivalent) daylight floodlights. The lamps are 8.5" aluminum cones on clamps. The bulbs are jutting way out of the lamps, which doesn't allow them to reflect at all. They're just too directional, so I have to try and find some bright as hell helical daylight bulbs. A light coming from the top will help with shadows as well and really fill things out.

Anyways, here are a few shots I just took.

Toy soldiers

My [dusty] Pentax K1000

The only magnet letters we have that haven't been chewed by the dog

You can see shadows everywhere which must be eliminated if I want to give the idea of an infinite white background. Do you guys think brighter reflective lights as well as a top light will help that out?

Lord Fizzlebottom
May 3, 2005

Spring time is finally here in upstate NY!

I took a few quick macro[ish] shots today with my rigged setup: Nikon D40 attached to the 18-55 kit lens & Pentax 55mm Auto-Takumar flipped. For the first time trying macro, I'm seeing what good sunlight can do for a shot. This is my favorite of the group.

It's still a tad on the dark side, but the flower [actually a weed] has colors popping out everywhere. I think it works OK.

Lord Fizzlebottom
May 3, 2005

I have such an honest-to-god fear of spiders (no other bugs) that I cannot imagine getting anywhere near close enough to one for a picture. Other bugs are fine, but it just seems that spiders are such good subjects for macro that I'm missing out on a huge segment.

I envy people with the balls to photograph such terrifying looking creatures.