Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JamesieAB
Nov 5, 2005
I have been wanting to get into macro photography and now that I have to "take it easy" and stay off my feet for a while I have the time to do it. I am looking for beginner level advice for getting macro shots around the house and garden of various subjects including flowers and insects.

I have a Fuji XT3 with 16mm F2.8 and 50mm F2 lenses.

The macro-extension-x-global.pdf on the Fuji website shows the MCEX-11 gives 0.84/0.40 magnification for the 16mm/50mm while the MCEX-16 gives 1.16/0.51. Would the MCEX-11 be a better/more forgiving choice for a beginner?

Also any advice on reasonably priced flashguns for macro?

Sorry if there is already advice within the thread regarding this but I have only just started reading it, a link would be appreciated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JamesieAB
Nov 5, 2005
Thanks for the reply, I hope the list below answers your question.

I'm assuming that MFD="Shortest shooting distance"
The PDF is at https://dl.fujifilm-x.com/global/products/accessories/mcex/pdf/macro-extension-x-global.pdf

• XF16mm F2.8
    • MCEX-11
      • MAG 0.84
      • WD 9
      • MFD 84
    • MCEX-16
      • MAG 1.16
      • WD 4
      • MFD 84
  • XF50mm F2
    • MCEX-11
      • MAG 0.40
      • WD 131
      • MFD 220
    • MCEX-16
      • MAG 0.51
      • WD 106
      • MFD 200

Could you recommend any particular flash model (godox or otherwise) at around the £100 mark? The Godox MF12 is around that price, any good?

JamesieAB
Nov 5, 2005

jarlywarly posted:

MFD is distance from sensor to subject
WD is distance from lens front element to subject.

The pdf only has the following three headings per extension tube.
Max.Magnification
Working distance(mm)
Shortest shooting distance(mm)

So would that last one be the MFD?

JamesieAB
Nov 5, 2005

jarlywarly posted:

A Godox TT350 is a good start

I like the look of this flash and it's a good price for me, thanks.

jarlywarly posted:

Shorter focal lengths are generally harder to use because you have to get closer to the subject.

So would you recommend the MCEX-16 with the 50mm for someone starting out over the MCEX-11 and the 16mm?