Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Cheers!

It's been too hot in SE Australia (since it's mostly on fire) to find any insects at the moment. They seem to be active early morning then disappear. ..so I went to the beach and hunted after some soldier crabs.

Very challenging to shoot, but also quite fun to watch them waddle about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

theHUNGERian posted:

Generic macro of a large beast that I've only seen twice so far. It's a 3+" long grasshopper/locus, perhaps a California Rose-winged Grasshopper?

Great stuff!

Here's an Australian native blue banded bee:

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Post more moths pls :allears:

theHUNGERian posted:

It's not as macro as it could be, but after struggling to capture this shot with a macro lens, I just had to cave and do it with a wider DOF non-macro lens.

And I'm really digging this! Great stuff! :)

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Some cracking shots on this page guys.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Found a jumping spider on my bathroom mirror.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

This guy was pretty chilled out. He lives in my bathroom, and I don't have the heart to move him out.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

jarlywarly posted:

Snakes are cool, bees are cool, reflections are cool, you are all cool.

I'm in the UK where all we have in our gardens is small hoverflies and we like it

Hoverfly by Aves Lux, on Flickr

On the wing by Aves Lux, on Flickr

Fantastic stuff!

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Is this the same Laowa lens?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZcYXUMkhek

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

jarlywarly posted:

Some great shots recently everyone. Macro season for insects is winding down here, mushroom time is nearly here.

Now its insect time in the southern hemisphere :getin:

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Raikyn posted:

They were just bought. Some guy out of the UK was making them.
I had normal stofen type directly on the heads, then these bigger ones over the top of those.

Think this might be the guy https://www.macrodiffuser.com/shop looks like he has his own store now

Thanks for linking this. My flash setup died.. rather, it fell off my camera and rolled down a gravel embankment smashing the LED screen.. lmao

So I've dusted of my Nikon SB-R200's from an old macro kit I bought ages ago... going to take a bit to get used to a new lighter setup

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Heard a strange buzzing near my garbage bin, and discovered a jumping spider attached to the back end of this fly. The fly was still alive trying to get away but the spider was hanging on tight while being dragged along. Gruesome.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Fingers McLongDong posted:

FEET

Found an enormous tomato hornworm in my garden bent in a u-shape holding onto a pepper plant and took this.

Also I had some test prints of a couple pictures made for the first time at the encouragement of my wife and it's a weird feeling but also very cool to see them on something other than a computer screen.

tomato hornworm feet-1 by Kevin Long, on Flickr

Very cool! Abstract macro photos make really great wall prints.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Not sure on the ID here, but what a pose!

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

marshmonkey posted:

Great shot, it even decided to stand perfectly framed

Cheers! Right place right time I guess!

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Nice! Never realised they have hair on their eyes.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

king of the castle

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Fruit fly ?

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Yeah that's the stuff!

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Can anybody recommend a good diffuser? Seems that most of the popular ones are from homemade 3rd printed ones that are hard to buy. I tried to contact that CygnusTech guy but he never replies to messages.

Are there any alternatives that are actually easy to purchase?

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Sorry for the image dump, but it's been a while since I posted. I have way too many photos to edit in my backlog hah

So here are some ants.

And a spider

And whatever this is. A wasp?

And a couple of bees.

And a fruit fly.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Viginti Septem posted:

Laowa releases full kit of ready-to-go microscopy lenses for $1500. Range of 10x 20x 35x and 50x tubes and attachments for all popular lens mounts.

https://petapixel.com/2023/09/26/laowa-makes-microscopy-affordable-with-10-50x-aurogon-lens/

Getting good results from this with no tripod would be the ultimate test

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Bees are good

Also lady beetles

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Image dump time...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU