Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rontalvos
Feb 22, 2006

Eutheria posted:

There are adapters that one can use to attach a lens to a camera in reverse. From what I can understand, this apparently moves the lens elements farther away from the sensor (like a bellows or extension tube would) and thusly gives you a shorter focusing distance and greater magnification. I think it only really works with lenses of smaller focal lengths (i.e., not telephotos), though I could be wrong.

Lens reversing works better the shorter your lens is, I believe. Try it with the kit lens but I'm pretty sure doing it with the telephoto will be useless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rontalvos
Feb 22, 2006
I wanna try macro but I'm far too cheap to buy am actual macro lens. Are extension tubes a worthwhile way to try it out? Is there a reason I shouldn't buy the cheap $11 set on amazon.com?

The only lenses I have for my Canon 40D are a Tamron 17-50 f2.8, Canon 28-135 3.5-5.6, and a 70-200 F4L, will I get decent results with at least one of these lenses in combination with extension tubes?

Rontalvos
Feb 22, 2006
I figure you're paying for air and I have no problem manual focusing, why bother spending money to have electrical communication retained?

http://www.amazon.com/Fotodiox-Extension-Extreme-Close-up-Digital/dp/B003Y60DZO/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1291542268&sr=8-3

http://www.amazon.com/Zykkor-Macro-Extension-Digital-Cameras/dp/B0044X9CH6/ref=sr_1_17?ie=UTF8&qid=1291542268&sr=8-17

Bargain basement prices for a metal tube with a funny shape on each end.

Rontalvos
Feb 22, 2006
I've got piles of FD lenses and I've never considered trying to mount them on my 40D, I figure I'll try out a set of tubes first and see where that gets me.

When people uses canon EF lenses on reversing rings, they usually can set the desired aperture, then hold the DOF preview button while unmounting the lens and it'll stay stopped down.

Rontalvos
Feb 22, 2006
I am planning on getting a NEX-5 and was planning on getting an FD adapter to use my old film canon lenses.

Would a bellows extension be a worthwhile purchase if I want to shoot macro stuff? FD bellows can be had for hilariously cheap it seems.