Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

I'm looking for critical feedback because I feel that something in the exposure and/or color is off. While I am not absolutely certain, I think that direct illumination by the sun contributed to it looking off. However, without the direct illumination I could not have captured the shadows and the delicate lines running down the sides of the leaves.

Edit: Maybe I should have gotten in closer to get a closer view of the shadows? Will try again.

Edit2: It's a step in the right direction. Stupid wind.

theHUNGERian fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Mar 17, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

jarlywarly posted:

So I'd rotate it right so the flower is upright, crop so it's most of the picture and increase the contrast.

I think you might be right about the crop, I'm unsure about the rotation and contrast. Perhaps the higher contrast will make more sense after the crop. I'll play with it.

tk posted:

This one is my favorite of the bunch: https://geza.zenfolio.com/p425781472/hC6AB342D#hc6ab9961. The darker background is nicer and being able to see the petals around the other side help give the flower some shape. The bright green streak is a bit distracting. It should be pretty easy to brush over that and possibly crop out the green on the left.

Agreed on all points. Brushing over things is a red line I don't want to cross unless it's dust on the lens/sensor, but cropping would indeed be fine.

Thanks for the input.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Terrifying Effigies posted:

... still waiting for bugs to come out ...

Right? Come on. What is taking so long? Get outta there.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

CodfishCartographer posted:

This isn't the most macro of macro but I like it and can't think of a better place to post it.

P5042016069 by Cody P, on Flickr

I get a very cool 60s Mad Men kind of vibe from this. Love it.

I saw a massive butterfly migration a couple of weeks ago. They were literally just passing by, easily 20+ butterflies per minute for several hours, didn't stop on any of the flowers in my garden, so I didn't feel bad about not being able to capture a good shot. But today I had a microburst of activity. I am happy to have traded my 1:2 MF macro for a 1:1 AF macro.

theHUNGERian fucked around with this message at 01:28 on May 13, 2019

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Finally got one of those cool shots I have been lusting over.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

jarlywarly posted:

It's more the built in focus bracketing that's good, it would be ace to be able to have the camera fire off a quick 5 frames and move the focus point quickly though the scene for each one, with programmable gaps for flash capacitor recharge.

Excuse my question if it's ignorant: Except for cost, is a tilt/shift solution not a neater solution than focus bracketing and stitching?

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

jarlywarly posted:

Are there T+S lenses that do 1-2x? Focus plane control would be really nice just not sure the lenses are there for working at the magnifications and working distances for small insect macro.

Cambo makes the Actus bellows(?) which gives you T+S. Perhaps you will need some additional extension tubes to reach 2x. It's a little bulky IMO, so perhaps better in a studio for stills than outside for constantly moving critters.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

toggle posted:

burst shooting... I got lucky since this one was hovering in the one spot for a bit. But still! :)

I looks amazing. Almost as if it's a super realistic model undergoing a wind tunnel test.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Rot posted:

Any thoughts on the 7artisans 60mm macro? Thinking of picking one up for my X-H1...the price is really good, which makes me wonder if it's more of a toy lens.

It's so inexpensive that buying it and forming your own opinion is relatively risk-free. But manual focus will rule out active critters where focusing with your feet or the focus ring can be too slow.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

It took me forever to catch the faint rainbow color at the edge of wings.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

jarlywarly posted:

iridescence is hard to photograph, nice work. Monarch or Viceroy?

Thanks.

William T. Hornaday posted:

Monarch; it doesn't have a black stripe across the hindwing. And it's hanging out on what appears to be tropical milkweed.

Bingo.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

jarlywarly posted:

more inflight insects!

Emperor Dragonfly

Nice!!!

How did you get this shot? It almost looks as if you have a pet dragonfly that you managed to train to hold a certain position while you composed and focused the shot.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

:ohdear: Please do not die. :ohdear:

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

The pixel art on butterfly wings is hypnotizing. I am not too stoked about the spider web in the background, but cropping it out made the image claustrophobic.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

jarlywarly posted:

Swallowtails are gorgeous, I have problems photographing butterflies, the common larger species in my area will NOT let you get near. I have 1 or 2 shots I l really like of them.

I feel you. Somebody should really make a 200 mm 1x macro.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Base Emitter posted:

Canon has a 180mm macro. Or try extension tubes?

Extension tubes will only increase the magnification while reducing the working distance, so that's not what i want.

I've thought about the CaNikons. Anybody have any experience with putting either on a Sony A7R3 body? I absolutely do not want to trade off autofocus.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

jarlywarly posted:

From what I read the AF gets worse the longer the lens when you adapt Canon to Sony.

:(

Well, I'm happy I chose to get a rental (Canon 180 mm macro), to try it out first.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Bubbacub posted:

The AF is already hilariously slow on the Canon 180. I almost never use mine, it's really heavy and I don't need the long working distance.

I have read mixed reviews on this. But hopefully my usual method of 'focus when far away, use AF-C as I slowly approach subject' will not be too demanding on the lens' AF. And if it's poo poo, I just keep using my existing 90 mm Sony macro. But it sure would be nice if I could replace my 90 mm (macro) and my 180 mm (non-macro) with a single 180 mm macro lens. I really don't use the 90 mm for anything else, so the focal length will not be missed at all.

The rental 180 mm macro will be here tomorrow, and the adapter is already here. I'll report back.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

theHUNGERian posted:

I have read mixed reviews on this. But hopefully my usual method of 'focus when far away, use AF-C as I slowly approach subject' will not be too demanding on the lens' AF. And if it's poo poo, I just keep using my existing 90 mm Sony macro. But it sure would be nice if I could replace my 90 mm (macro) and my 180 mm (non-macro) with a single 180 mm macro lens. I really don't use the 90 mm for anything else, so the focal length will not be missed at all.

The rental 180 mm macro will be here tomorrow, and the adapter is already here. I'll report back.

Day 1 of testing is over. I used a rented Canon 180 mm macro on the Sony A7R3 (v3.01) using a Metabones gen. V adapter (v0.62).

While AF-C is an absolute train wreck in both Green and Advanced mode, AF-S works well enough in both modes. Manual pre-focusing helps immensely, and fortunately Canon implemented this feature perfectly. While AF-C with the 90 mm Sony macro is a smoother experience, I have to get much closer to the subject to reach 1:1, thus scaring off critters more quickly. While I would love to see AF-C with the Sony/Canon combo, AF-S will work just fine if I work on my technique a bit (wait for, rather than 'hunt', subjects).

I left the adapter on Green mode on Day 1, and some hand held shots are below.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

jarlywarly posted:

really lovely, man hummingbirds must be so much fun to photograph!

Thanks. I enjoy the dive bombing exercises they perform on me. But the keeper rate is really low because they are so fast. I am trying to get a picture of their wings against the bright sky (https://mymodernmet.com/christian-spencer-rainbow-hummingbird/).

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Graniteman posted:

Set your camera to manual exposure, F/16, 1/120s, ISO 200. Set your flash to ETTL. Done. No more blurry pictures. You will get a shot purely lit by flash, and you can focus on adjusting your diffuser.

Flash has always intimidated me, so I never even tried it on macro. Thanks for writing this up.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Graniteman posted:

You're welcome.

Putting your lesson to use, at night. I was already pretty happy that I traded the 90 mm Sony macro for the 180 mm Canon macro, but I never thought I would get decent night time macros.

Gotta work a little harder before I can get some good moth shots, but I am getting close.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Moths are awesome. I need to spend more time exploring all the dark corners of town where some of the more exotic ones hide.

And these guys are awkward as poo poo. Almost like Michael Cera in insect form.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

I highly recommend the 180 mm Canon on the A7R3:

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

We had a crazy heat wave here last week, so a lot of moths gathered at my door at night. This guy was my favorite. He looked like out of a Star Wars movie.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

jarlywarly posted:

Ants are cool ...

... until they invade your kitchen.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Infinite Karma posted:

Did you remove the filter by yourself? Infrared photography always looks so cool, but it seems difficult to find a reputable place to modify a camera for a reasonable price. I don't really want to send my camera plus a few hundred bucks to a random address from the internet without knowing the quality (and that I'll actually get my camera back).

Removing the IR filter is a standard step for astro-use, and there are plenty of reputable vendors who do it, but I am not sure what your idea of "reasonable price" is.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Generic macro of a large beast that I've only seen twice so far. It's a 3+" long grasshopper/locus, perhaps a California Rose-winged Grasshopper?

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

toggle posted:

Here's an Australian native blue banded bee:

Insects in flight are super cool!

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

It's not as macro as it could be, but after struggling to capture this shot with a macro lens, I just had to cave and do it with a wider DOF non-macro lens.

Please excuse the jpg compression artifact in the top right. It's not the source image, but my host's prehistoric compression.
Edit: Maybe it is part of the source image, in which case I think it has to do with the super short exposure. God I hate being so nitpicky. :( Just as I was getting the idea of buying a medium format camera out of my head, I find a potential reason to do it.

theHUNGERian fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Feb 24, 2020

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

jarlywarly posted:

I'm the pixelly peepiest man alive and I can't see what you are talking about. Nice shot.

Thanks. Perhaps I am going insane, but I see at least two faint circular bands of green in the upper right part of the image. Even if it's there, converting it to black and white would fix it without compromising anything. But yeah, I need to take a chill pill and enjoy the hobby more and stress out less.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Moths are the best because they are super chill.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Pooper Trooper posted:

Had this super chill guy pay me a visit last night. My DSLR wasn't charged sadly, but the TG-5 takes pretty decent macros for a compact camera.

A new muppets character? I love it! Rock on, TG-5 buddy :hf:!

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

jarlywarly posted:

Finally one of these buggers stays still for 5 seconds.

Mint Moth by Aves Lux, on Flickr

"I listened to The Cure before they were cool."

Moths are the best!

My first butterfly season with flash is starting. I wished my local butterflies were as chill as my local moths.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Is this guy carrying eggs?

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

spongepuppy posted:

Mites (phoretic or parasitic) most likely.

You're right. Poor guy. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Awesome picture, and thanks for posting a picture of the setup! I just came inside from shooting a danger noodle, and I was wondering what the next step is in terms of my diffuser. It looks like the next step is a gigantic leap, and suddenly I feel happier about my ghetto diffuser.

Am danger! Very noodle!

So smell!

Much hide!