Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

I very colorful moth visited me yesterday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Yeah, unless you live in Australia, keep indoor spiders where they are.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

jarlywarly posted:

Flight shot bokeh!

Flight by Aves Lux, on Flickr

Very nice!

I am not sure how original this is, but I love the mosaic effect it has.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

A California King snake has been hanging out in my garden. It is very shy, and the only in-focus shot I have gotten is with a lovely background.

And then there is this.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

jarlywarly posted:

Snakes are cool, bees are cool, reflections are cool, you are all cool.

I'm in the UK where all we have in our gardens is small hoverflies and we like it

Hoverfly by Aves Lux, on Flickr

drat! I can only dream of getting the eyes and the wings in focus simultaneously like that.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

jarlywarly posted:

It's about the angle, visualise that thin cuboid of depth of field floating in front of your lens at your focal distance and try to lay it over your subject at any angle where the things you want are in focus.

The critters I deal with are way too active to allow such fine control.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

jarlywarly posted:

Hoverflies are pretty active but yeah they do stay still occasionally, What's the main thing you find it hard to get to cooperate?

Most things that are alive. I think my main issue is that I move around too much. My success rate would probably be much higher if I focused on one [critter] and stayed put at one location that [critter] likes so it gets used to me.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Who are you?

Bad camouflage.

Nice chest hair!

It's a green lynx spider.

And a fly.

Before you ask, no the white balance is not off, at least not completely. I have both orange and yellow poppies.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Lovely.

Can you post more details about your diffuser?

Edit: Another poppy tenant.

theHUNGERian fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Jul 2, 2020

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Technique matters a great deal. Learning to hang out where the bugs like to be will give you more keepers than chasing them. At equal magnifications, a long focal length macro is better than a short focal length macro because you give critters more space.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Graniteman posted:

I'd qualify that "longer focal length is better" a bit though. If you are doing natural light photography then that's probably true. However, if you are using a diffuser attached to your camera where the diffuser need to reach up over the focal distance, you need a focal distance that's close enough for that rig to reach.

Fair point.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Fingers McLongDong posted:

I like how the wings look like some kind of leather with a pattern pressed on.

That and the tiny red "ruby" stones behind the eyes caught my attention too.

Fingers McLongDong posted:

How are ya'll saving your images to share on the web, in terms of saving them after editing? I've read a bit about how most browsers and internet sharing services can't show the same color templates as you see on your monitor while editing, and the advice I read was to use legacy/save for web in PS, converting to sRGB. Even with that, my colors always end up seeming a bit muted and dulled.

I went through this exercise a few months ago and I concluded that I only care about how it looks on (1) my display, (2) on print, and (3) on other color calibrated displays. If a person can't be bothered to color-calibrate their display, I will pay little attention to their opinion on my color balance (though I will still listen to their opinion on exposure, composition, ...). Even in my family most people will only look at my pictures for 5 seconds on their cell phone, and LOL if they think I will make an effort in trying to improve their experience.

Also, color calibration will at best get the colors of the color checker right (all other colors will be interpolated), and in my experience at least two colors on the color checker will still be slightly off.

I just leave my pictures in sRGB and png (Capture One). The only down-side is that png strips the meta-data, but that's better than having to deal with jpg compression artifacts.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

seravid posted:

Anyone using E-mount? After 14 years with the venerable Minolta A-mount, I've just ordered an A7, which means I'll be stuck at 1:3 magnification and way too broke to get a proper macro lens for the foreseeable future. I understand these cameras have very short registers which could, maybe, mean old and cheap yet good glass?

Also, I'll be able to see the picture on the LCD, in real-time, before actually taking it? What the hell

I use a second-hand Canon 180 mm macro on an A7R3 (after using the CV 65 mm macro and the Sony 90 mm macro), and I have zero regrets. With the extenders, you can reach 1.4x or 2x. Of course you can also adapt the MP-E 65 mm and get to 5x if you are willing to trade off working distance.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Graniteman posted:

Just posting to agree with this. Adding a flash will improve your shots more than a fancy lens. If you have ANY kind of macro lens (reversed lens, extension tubes, whatever), then next up I would say you should add a flash and diffuser before you buy another lens. I still remember my first photo of a click beetle from 10 years ago when I shot it with a flash, and it was SO MUCH CLEARER than any macro photo I'd taken before.

I got a decent in-focus rate in daylight without flash. With flash, I get >90% in-focus rate at night!!!
Example:

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

jarlywarly posted:

Interesting, I do mine with an external app on my DSLR.

I tend to be cautious I set the start point back and the end point further than I need and I take more photos than I end up using because setting up for each scene is quite difficult and I don't want to regret it when I am back in front of the computer.

Its easy to miss a little detail or something in the way of the lens.

Eg this frosty mushroom I am quite annoyed by the OOF blade of grass that I never saw when i was composing.

Frost Damage by Aves Lux, on Flickr

I still think it's a great picture!

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

This is not an attempt at a cool picture, instead I am trying to identify these.

If it helps, this is in SoCal. Are these caterpillar bros or should I kill them with fire?

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Megabound posted:

CritterQuest can help but I too hate it when my pubes and greek yogurt covered rasins supply gets infested.

Lol, and thanks.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Critterquest suggested "young larvae of the fall armyworm". The moths certainly look familiar.

Completely different subject:

theHUNGERian fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Apr 30, 2021

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

accipter posted:

I have been taking some photos of salamanders and insects at night. I have been using the flash that came with my camera because it was easy, but I think it would be worthwhile to get a flash and some sort of diffuser. Any suggestions? What do people like using?

What works for you depends on your budget, your expectations, and your time. I settled on a Gary Fong Lightsphere and I am happy.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

NTRabbit posted:

I don't know how you get those amazing insect photos, I can barely keep non-moving plants in proper focus.

Do you use flash?

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

I find flash to be mandatory as I practically always shoot at ~f/16. A long focal length macro helps immensely. I have a 180 mm macro, and I frequently add the 2x extender. This gives me plenty of working distance to get to 1x, and even 2x. Another point is the type of insect. Some don't mind you getting close. With insects that do mind you getting close, try to not approach them head-on. A lot of animals register that as a threat. Approach them indirectly, or even better, hang out at the nearest place they frequent. If you are stationary, and already there, they are more likely to not mind you at all.

But even with all this, my keeper rate with macro is pretty low, 10% sounds about right with life critters.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

AceClown posted:

3.5:1 macro of a moths eye - Laowa Ultra Macro on a Canon R7

Dope!

Besides cost, is there any reason you didn't go with the MP-E?

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

If I wanted to get above 2x while balancing working distance and image quality, what are my options? I currently have a 180 mm macro and a 2x extender. I feel I have plenty of working distance, but not as much image quality.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

I'm currently looking into screwing a microscope objective into an existing lens (like this). Does anyone have a tutorial on best practices and what to avoid?

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

I am potentially interested in magnifications between 2x and 5x without crazy short working distances, and without going below the image quality of my 180 mm Canon macro at 1x, but I am not interested in stacking. Perhaps microscope objectives are not the way to go. Will have to read a bit more.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Scarodactyl posted:

As mag starts to increase you end up on the knife's edge of diffraction at all times, and if you combat that with higher resolution optics the depth of field gets very shallow very fast. You can recover some decent image quality at web resolution if you're willing to sharpen the crap out of a diffracted source image though (see these shots with a laowa 100mm 2x with 2 2x teleconverters(!!))
You might want to consider a Nikon MM5x on aps-c (or full frame with a teleconverter). 64mm working distance, good resolution, not apochromatic but not bad. You just need empty spacers, and if you use a helicoid you can push the mag down a ways, at least to 3x from the one I tried.

Thanks for the reference. I already have a 180 mm macro with a 2x extender. Looks like I should be able to squeeze a bit more out of it in post, so I will work on that first.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

I ended up with a relatively dirt cheap Laowa 2.5x-5x. It's neat.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Neon Noodle posted:

Is that some kinda weird moth?

Weird? No, we have thousands of them here. Moth? Yes, they are among the most chill insects.

Edit: Plume moth, I believe.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Exploring things at 3x has been pretty fun so far, but I definitely have to work on a new diffuser.

Any idea what creature is going through this flower?

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

I have a Gary Fong lightshpere, and I am happy enough.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

I have their 2.5x-5x macro and while I like it, I really wished the aperture control were not manual so it would allow me to set it to f/11 while still allowing me to compose wide open. Not sure if the Aurogon behaves the same way (shame if it does).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Manual focus sure. But manual aperture is a bit annoying in low light situations (my camera switches to higher ISO, and eventually to a slower frame rate on the screen) where an auto aperture would allow me to focus/compose wide open (at a lower ISO and a high frame rate on the creen) even when shooting at f/16. I admit it's just an inconvenience, not a showstopper, and I get that mount licenses cost money which would get forwarded to the buyer.