Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wait a minute honey
May 12, 2006
How much better is a ringflash over a normal speedlite for macro? I would love the Canon MP-E65 for my next macro lens, but I don't really want to shell out nearly $1k for a flash only for macro..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wait a minute honey
May 12, 2006

50D, Sigma 105mm lens, so hard doing macro handheld!

wait a minute honey
May 12, 2006

Arvid posted:

bloody awesome shots

What lighting did you use for these?

wait a minute honey
May 12, 2006

butterfly by Adam McCarthy, on Flickr

Took this handheld in lovely light (Was in a Butterfly enclosure aswell , so it was humid as hell) This was all I could get out of the image :s

wait a minute honey
May 12, 2006
Is that with the Canon mp-e65? That is really impressive.

wait a minute honey
May 12, 2006
I own the Sigma 105mm lens, and am pretty happy with it. You need to use it in MF, you can use AF if the lights really good and there is no wind, it does hunt around a lot. Having an external flash really helps with macro stuff. I don't think I could have gotten this shot without it.

Katydid by Adam McCarthy, on Flickr

wait a minute honey
May 12, 2006

jumping spider by Adam McCarthy, on Flickr

So hard to shoot...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wait a minute honey
May 12, 2006
Some handheld shots from today. Wind totally sucks when you're shooting macro.

50D, Sigma 105mm and the 580 EXII.

spider by Adam McCarthy, on Flickr

jumping spider by Adam McCarthy, on Flickr