Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010
Rejoyce as TVR might be returning soonish (Goodwood festival of speed) with new models priced at £70k/$110k using V8 crate engiens (Ford/GM prob). Also they are apparently going to be sold to a "global market". More info at pistonheads http://pistonheads.com/tvr/default.asp?storyId=21530. Offical webstie: https://www.tvr.co.uk

And a picture of an older TVR Tuscan beacuse it's awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
A slightly amusing review of the Crosstour:
http://www.speedsportlife.com/2010/02/24/lord-byron-over-the-river-and-through-the-cones-the-2010-honda-accord-crosstour/

What's really amusing is the 7 drivers who were slower than this guy at an autocross:

Maybe can cut the VW Fox some slack, but the other cars? :cmon:

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

âрø ÿþûþÑÂúø,
трø ÿþ трø ÿþûþÑÂúø

Farmland Park posted:

Rejoyce as TVR might be returning soonish (Goodwood festival of speed) with new models priced at £70k/$110k using V8 crate engiens (Ford/GM prob). Also they are apparently going to be sold to a "global market". More info at pistonheads http://pistonheads.com/tvr/default.asp?storyId=21530. Offical webstie: https://www.tvr.co.uk

And a picture of an older TVR Tuscan beacuse it's awesome.

So global meaning everywhere BUT the US.
Edit: i know they say US but the day I see a TVR dealership in the states is the day I have enough money to afford one.
No way in gently caress would they pass US laws.

Preoptopus fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Feb 24, 2010

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Preoptopus posted:

No way in gently caress would they pass US laws.
They could try the same manufacturing hardship loophole that Lotus uses.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

kimbo305 posted:

A slightly amusing review of the Crosstour:
http://www.speedsportlife.com/2010/02/24/lord-byron-over-the-river-and-through-the-cones-the-2010-honda-accord-crosstour/

What's really amusing is the 7 drivers who were slower than this guy at an autocross:

Maybe can cut the VW Fox some slack, but the other cars? :cmon:

It was only 1sec slower than the 330i. Sweet.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

-Spiffy- posted:

Over here an M3 is AU$170k and a Carrera S is AU$250k, and our money is similar so...

No doubt you have an "Aussie" Tax, but the :canada: and :911: market are a little different as 90% of the population of Canada is literally 2 hours or less from the border and the cars are generally identical, other than potential option packages.

Here is another one where that I thought was interesting.

2007 Honda S2000 (jest because I found the numbers on that year easily)

US MSRP: $34,000 Sales for year: 4302

Canada MSRP: $50,600 Sales for year: 123

I'm seriously thinking of making a little side business curbing those drat things up here as even used they still go for a stupid amount.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
There's a race shop near me that has what looks to be the tail end of a TVR Griffith poking out of it some days. I've never been able to take a proper picture of it which kills me, because it looks full tube frame, caged, and has steamrollers under it.

Seeing a TVR in the US is like meeting Jesus.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Hmmm, I was wondering if VW was going to make a GTI version of the new Polo. Maybe I'll reconsider buying a Mini Diesel after all.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

el topo posted:

VW did the Golf GT a while ago, it also had a turbocharger and a supercharger, but apparently it never really worked well.

Its one of the standard models and works quite well (or at least as well as any other VW).

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
So to recap the news this week:

Toyota's quality rep comes under question.

SAAB saved.

Hummer probably dead.

When it rains, it pours.

Hermansen
Sep 2, 2006

Breaker, Breaker,
High Ball, Ten Ten,
Till We Do It Again,
Captain Slow.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

Throatwarbler posted:

Hummer probably dead.

50/50 chance of it being sold back to AM General for pennies on the dollar is my bet.

AM General will fulfill it's current HMMWV production contracts this year. After that, the hmmwv program will scale down to replacement vehicles and parts support, they'll have a lot of idle time at their plants, even with their new ADA-accessible Van/Taxi project.

Many firms lost interest in the Hummer sale since it basically "only" included the Brand and the H3/HX. The HMMWV/Military side and H1 tech was not included, AM General and it's plants weren't included and the H2 was a dead duck, so I'm surprised that the Chinese truck firm even seriously looked at it.

One story I heard today was that AM General lept at the chance to sell Hummer to GM because AMG figured there was no way Hummer would work beyond being a low production run, specialty, niche product. Many of the old school dealers from the 90's piped in [including a ex Suzuki-Hummer dealership from washington state] that they figured the H2 would sell well for 2-3 years and once everyone who wanted one had one, sales would die off quickly. It wasn't worth the investment that GM was requesting to become a part of GM-Hummer [which required everyone to build expensive new dealerships/test tracks and make large commitments to buy lots of vehicles].

AM General still lives on, the true heart of hummer, and they've been awesome supporting the H1 even though it was discontinued in 06.

Thanks GM! For turning Hummer into the Dick Cheney of the automotive world. :3:

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

Throatwarbler posted:

So to recap the news this week:

Toyota's quality rep comes under question.

SAAB saved.

Hummer probably dead.

When it rains, it pours.

Add to this that the Focus RS will probably be coming to America. I bet they'll just call it the SVT here since the RS badge is fairly meaningless in America while most people know that SVT is Ford's performance department.

quote:

The “One Ford” strategy implemented by the Blue Oval several years ago had on major goal. Ford wants to tie together all of its cars from different markets, making it easier to manufacture parts and design vehicles and saving lots of money in the long run. That in turn meant that Ford’s bevy of difference performance vehicles would start drawing from the same parts bin.

Last week we asked what Ford would do with its diverse performance vehicle collection. Automobile Magazine got a chance to sit down with new performance chief John Capito, and he seemed to hint the groups would continue to live alongside each other.

More importantly though, Capito hinted that the Focus RS might actually make it to America. Blue Oval fans have been clamoring for such a move for a while now, and while Capito didn’t outright announce it, he did say “When you see the global vehicle lines, they offer the opportunity of global performance vehicles. The two generations of Focus we’ve had so far [internationally] were great bases for performance vehicles. The new Focus is the same, so there’s no reason if there’s one in Europe, it wouldn’t be here.”

That is as close to a “yes” as we have heard so far. Capito also mentioned that while the RS line has a strong following in America already, it is unlikely to replace the SVT line of vehicles (which right now has just the Raptor). So will the Focus RS remain an RS, or will it be morphed into an SVT? Capito also hinted that they were unlikely to over-saturate the market with too many RS vehicles, like an RS Fiesta as well as Focus. We should hear more about this in the coming months so stay tuned.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

frozenphil posted:

Add to this that the Focus RS will probably be coming to America. I bet they'll just call it the SVT here since the RS badge is fairly meaningless in America while most people know that SVT is Ford's performance department.

Meh. The RS is awesome but (and obviously it's for a different audience) the Mustang GT is just something I can't turn down at that price range. I predict at least 95% of the people on the Focus forums who've promised to cut off their balls to finance one will be silent when the car finally arrives in America.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

frozenphil posted:

They WILL find a way to gently caress this up I GUARANTEE it.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

If yall hadn't heard, the Fiat 500 is coming to America:
http://www.wired.com/autopia/2010/02/hallelujah-the-fiat-500-is-coming/
Hopefully it will be much cheaper than the Mini (so that it can sell) and still be profitable for Fiat/Chrysler.

Ayem
Mar 4, 2008

kimbo305 posted:

Hopefully it will be much cheaper than the Mini (so that it can sell) and still be profitable for Fiat/Chrysler.

If the Mexicans build it right, I'd buy one. Also the Ford Fiesta, that's being built in Mexico too, which is my only reservation on that car.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

kimbo305 posted:

Meh. The RS is awesome but (and obviously it's for a different audience) the Mustang GT is just something I can't turn down at that price range. I predict at least 95% of the people on the Focus forums who've promised to cut off their balls to finance one will be silent when the car finally arrives in America.

Cygni posted:

They WILL find a way to gently caress this up I GUARANTEE it.

Yeah, I just don't see how it's going to fit in in America. I understand that people wanting a turbo 4 cylinder hatchback with all wheel drive aren't going to cross shop a Mustang, but you know Ford's bean counters don't understand that. It basically has to have at least 300hp and cost under/around $30k, which is going to worry Ford's sales department about cutting in to v6 Mustang sales.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

frozenphil posted:

I understand that people wanting a turbo 4 cylinder hatchback with all wheel drive aren't going to cross shop a Mustang, but you know Ford's bean counters don't understand that.

It's got a Volvo I-5 in it, but if they want to knock it down to some turbo'ed I-4 that only does 250hp, I guess that'd be better than nothing.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

kimbo305 posted:

It's got a Volvo I-5 in it, but if they want to knock it down to some turbo'ed I-4 that only does 250hp, I guess that'd be better than nothing.

With Ford ditching Volvo and debuting their new EcoBoost engine line, I could see them using the RS to showcase the new EcoBoost 4 banger in the US. There's always the EcoBoost v6 from the SHO as well.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

VikingSkull posted:

Seeing a TVR in the US is like meeting Jesus.
I think you meant "Driving" and "In the wet" there.

Actually, they're supposed to handle pretty well, but when you stick 420bhp into a 2,500lb RWD car built by people who thing traction control is for poofs, you can be pretty certain that life isn't going to be boring. What always made an impression on me is an old Clarkson video (yes, yes, I know) where he did a comparison drag race of different supercars - the Cerbera cleared a standing mile in thirty seconds.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

A neighbour of mine just bought a tamora. I'm curious as to how long it'll last before it breaks down/is crashed in this lovely weather.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

DogDodger posted:

Very hot car, but no manual makes me sad. I also wonder how they're going to deal with carbon buildup issues in this car, or if they have anything at all planned to alleviate the problem.

This is another case of I'd love an Audi, BUT...

They don't bring some of their best models here, and they have ongoing mechanical and electrical problems in each of their models all the way up to the present 4.2 TFSI. Is it faster than the M3? No (190 MPH). Is it quicker to 60? Yeah. The most important question is, will it be in the shop for a couple months in 20000 miles? Unfortunately, probably.

Edit: I really do like all German cars, but after having had 2 lemons and a roommate that took his A4 in for warranty work 27 times before the CVT finally shredded itself (out of warranty) I just couldn't bring myself to own one unless it was a lease and I had other cars.

Das Volk fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Feb 26, 2010

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Arise, useful thread!

I hope you weren't looking forward to any new Volvo wagons, because wagons have all been dropped and replaced with SUVs.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

Preoptopus posted:

Just saw this on TG. Looks rather tasty.

Looks like a Dodge Avenger with a S5 frontend :v:

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Throatwarbler posted:

I hope you weren't looking forward to any new Volvo wagons, because wagons have all been dropped and replaced with SUVs.

Goddamn it. So much for Volvo, this means they'll never produce anything useful again, right? Their wagons were the only thing about the company that I liked.

Thats a shame, a friend of mine drives a S40 T5 AWD with a manual transmission and its actually pretty sweet. I keep telling him to get it on a dyno though to see how terrifying the drivetrain losses are.

decahedron
Aug 8, 2005

by Ozma
From that article the V50 will still exist, yes?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

decahedron posted:

From that article the V50 will still exist, yes?
Seems that way, and there might be a V60 soon too.

They'd have to be stupid to stop making wagons - the majority of Volvos I see on Canadian streets are still wagons, with a few poverty-spec S40s.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

poverty-spec S40s.

:psyduck: They start at $27,000, how can any of them be poverty-spec?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Weinertron posted:

:psyduck: They start at $27,000, how can any of them be poverty-spec?
I didn't say it was my idea of poverty. Some of them have miserable chopped-up 1.8L nonturbo fours, from what I understand.

Most of the cars I see in that spec have been heinously abused (curbed rims, dented body panels) and it makes me unbelievably sad - first, because they ruined a Volvo, and second because all Volvos should be wagons. I'm assuming the abused ones were bought second-hand or given massive dealer incentives to get off the lot.

Ford Volvo pricing is ridiculous, though. Sort of similar to how Saab's prices went to the stratosphere as soon as GM decided they were a "luxury" brand. Their Canadian pricing is screwed up as well; the C30 starts at $27,695 and goes to $40,695 for the T5R package.

e: For clarification, I'm talking about the "first gen" S40s, built in the Netherlands with Mitsubishi parts. The current gen S40 is apparently related to the Mz3 and starts with a 2.4L I5.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Mar 25, 2010

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
The V70 is going but the XC70 isn't. It sounds like the same thing as Subaru only selling the Outback version of the legacy wagon.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

kimbo305 posted:

Hope and pray that you'll get this thing:

What's that above the side indicator? Why, I believe that's a green four-leaf clover :hawaaaafap:

The MiTo Quadrifoglio Verde is set to be released any day now and features a new 1.4L Multiair turbo engine with 170HP@5500 and 250NM@2500, active suspension and plenty of Alfa magic. According to the journalists who've driven it, it has absolutely razor sharp handling and is amazingly chuckable and the engine is nothing short of a masterpiece. They say it pulls like a 2.5-3.0L NA V6.

It also does 40MPG somehow.

Rumors have been circulating about Alfa making a 240HP GTA version as well, which wouldn't surprise me in the least.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Mar 25, 2010

decahedron
Aug 8, 2005

by Ozma
I want the Giulietta but that will never happen.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
I love my volvo wagon, thanks a lot Ford.

D. melanogaster
Jun 27, 2003

is one of the most studied organisms in biological research, particularly in genetics and developmental biology.
Wanna buy that Mini Coupe.

orange lime
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Ford Volvo pricing is ridiculous, though. Sort of similar to how Saab's prices went to the stratosphere as soon as GM decided they were a "luxury" brand. Their Canadian pricing is screwed up as well; the C30 starts at $27,695 and goes to $40,695 for the T5R package.

I'm kind of surprised that they marketed the C30 as a college-kid car. What loving college kid has $27,000 to blow on a car? I think I've seen like two people driving them, both mid-30s yuppie-looking people. I suppose it could be aimed at the kids whose rich parents will buy them whatever car they want but the mom wants them to get a Volvo "because it's safe". I knew a girl like that who first got a new convertible Corvette (C5), then decided "it doesn't feel safe" so got an H2 instead, then decided "it's too big" and last I heard was trying to get a Smart car imported from Canada (before they were legal in the states). All yellow, all new, all within a year or so. Sigh.

Frankly, I just wish they'd bring back the P1800ES exactly as it was, maybe with upgraded suspension and brakes. Mmmmmmmmm

orange lime fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Mar 26, 2010

Hermansen
Sep 2, 2006

Breaker, Breaker,
High Ball, Ten Ten,
Till We Do It Again,
Captain Slow.
BMW CEO announces that there will be a FWD BMW in the near future

http://jalopnik.com/5496441/bmw-ceo-there-will-be-front+wheel-drive-bmws

And here I was, believing that BMW thought FWD was, in fact, the devil..
It will be a sad day, when it comes..

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

KozmoNaut posted:

This car is so loving sexy.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Hermansen posted:

And here I was, believing that BMW thought FWD was, in fact, the devil..
It will be a sad day, when it comes..

I'm not sure even a majority of BMW owners are appreciating the RWD nature of their cars. It's funny that the first wave of 'FWD is luxury' failed, but we'll see what happens this second time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead

KozmoNaut posted:

Hope and pray that you'll get this thing:

What's that above the side indicator? Why, I believe that's a green four-leaf clover :hawaaaafap:

The MiTo Quadrifoglio Verde is set to be released any day now and features a new 1.4L Multiair turbo engine with 170HP@5500 and 250NM@2500, active suspension and plenty of Alfa magic. According to the journalists who've driven it, it has absolutely razor sharp handling and is amazingly chuckable and the engine is nothing short of a masterpiece. They say it pulls like a 2.5-3.0L NA V6.

It also does 40MPG somehow.

Rumors have been circulating about Alfa making a 240HP GTA version as well, which wouldn't surprise me in the least.

Man. I love everything about that car - the size, the specs, etc. But as amazing as all of that is and believe me I LOVE cars like that... I don't think I could ever grow to love that gaping vagina front end. I know, blasphemy and all that but... it just looks so out of place for me.