Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

euphronius posted:

It’s a shame Because as I’ve said before I think the current Accord is maybe the best mid market sedan ever made

I know it's a perennial Honda thing to go "the last generation was better", but the outside and inside before the refresh were so much better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Sab669 posted:

I had a '16 Fit with the manual; hated it and sold it in 6 months.

Great appliance for normies who want to be economical, but for anyone who likes cars/driving I don't know how anyone could stomach such a boring thing.

All the other cars in that class I’ve driven are even worse chassis-wise :v: with the notable exception of the Mazda 2. The Nissan Note and Toyota Yaris feel like wet noodles, the Suzuki Swift is much less refined as well. The Honda actually can handle a bit, it’s just saddled with CVTs.

When I was living the car share service life I kept borrowing one of the Demio/Mazda 2s just because they were surprisingly comfortable inside, had real automatics, and handled well. The Honda was always next up.

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

Sab669 posted:

Great appliance for normies who want to be economical, but for anyone who likes cars/driving I don't know how anyone could stomach such a boring thing.

on the flip side, they are pretty popular at autox and put down some very respectable times with just coilers/tires

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

harperdc posted:

The current Fit generation is really nice (I’ve driven one from a car share service), I’m not sure why they can’t or won’t shift more in Europe. It’s certainly better than the Yaris.

No one buys the Yaris either - it's all Yaris Cross these days.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

GD_American posted:

I know it's a perennial Honda thing to go "the last generation was better", but the outside and inside before the refresh were so much better.

If they put the materials from the last gen into the current gen but kept the same design and layout. It'd be perfect. The only thing I hate about the current Accords is they don't work well for tall folks and I fit in a Camry much better.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

mobby_6kl posted:

I don't think they sell the Accord in Europe at all. No idea WTF Honda is doing (or rather not doing). EU's a pretty big market and cars like the Fit, Civic and Accord (RIP) are all in popular segments, not to mention their CUV thingies. I haven't been insde a current-gen Honda but they seem to be very competitive by all accounts so it's really strange. Maybe it's becasue everything is only weird E-CVT hybrid and people hate it? :shrug:

It’s more that Honda isn’t very prominent or visible here (I’m in Switzerland). Besides the Fit/Fit Cross thing, I only see one or two e’s around. I think they just don’t have much of a presence in either the market or people’s minds, and when you’re selling Just A Car, even a nice one, that’s not going to be enough to get people to put in the effort to seek Honda, specifically, out.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

Applebees Appetizer posted:

The Accord is nice, but I'd still take an XSE trim V6 Camry over it all day long.

I would too, but mostly cos V6. Here, the V6 accord was never really a big thing. Anyway, the Accord peaked with the CL7 Euro R aka TSX

Good lookin car still, great stance, classic 3 box design.

I don't really know what Honda is doing these days. Are the North America only platforms decent sellers? Or are they and Acura a drag on resources like I think Infiniti is somewhat for Nissan? (Among their many other problems). CTR seems good but why would I buy say a CRV or HRV over say Toyota?

dissss posted:

No one buys the Yaris either - it's all Yaris Cross these days.

Swear I see more GR Yaris around here than regular Yaris. More CH-R than Yaris Cross too.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
honda makes stupid money in NA and a lot of the platforms are shared with non-EU ROW including China

CR-V is 3rd in total sales, Civic is 7th, Accord 11th, HR-V 14th.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Gucci Loafers posted:

If they put the materials from the last gen into the current gen but kept the same design and layout. It'd be perfect. The only thing I hate about the current Accords is they don't work well for tall folks and I fit in a Camry much better.

I prefer the layout of the last gen (doesn't hurt that I own one). The cupholders are cavernously deep, and behind the shifter instead of to the right side of it. I also like the A/C button placement and all.

I don't love the "half-iPad glued to dash" screen style, but that's hard to avoid from any car the last decade.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Holy hell is that Yaris Cross ugly.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

mobby_6kl posted:

I don't think they sell the Accord in Europe at all. No idea WTF Honda is doing (or rather not doing). EU's a pretty big market and cars like the Fit, Civic and Accord (RIP) are all in popular segments, not to mention their CUV thingies. I haven't been insde a current-gen Honda but they seem to be very competitive by all accounts so it's really strange. Maybe it's becasue everything is only weird E-CVT hybrid and people hate it? :shrug:

Honda current Italian lineup is Jazz, civic, crv, hrv, zrv and preorders for the e:ny1. Accord was always a dead albatross in dealers here, where it costed so much to butt heads with the german sedans with a lot more cachet. I'm not surprised at Honda no longer importing them. The gundam style civic also made them lose a lot of customers since it made the rear seat cramped and the cargo space compromised, along with the design that removed their usual tame grampa clientele(whose cars were wrapped around trees by their nephews).

antimatt
Sep 12, 2007

ultima ratio regum

Sab669 posted:

I too had a '15 with a manual and had the exact opposite thoughts about it. You could merge onto the freeway WFO, shifting at the limiter and not break the law (much). It was one of the best shifting transaxles I've driven in a long time.

I traded it in on a BRZ and later I wished I had both cars. To each their own!

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
the fit had a cup holder up near the steering wheel and it was peak performance for Large Sonic Cup

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

antimatt posted:

I too had a '15 with a manual and had the exact opposite thoughts about it. You could merge onto the freeway WFO, shifting at the limiter and not break the law (much). It was one of the best shifting transaxles I've driven in a long time.

I get the whole "Slow car fast" thing, the Fiesta ST I had was probably the most fun car I've owned. But idk I still need the suspension to inspire confidence and everything else that you simply don't find on a pure appliance car.
Maybe if I swapped out the rubber to some performance tires it wouldn't have been so bad

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

BuckyDoneGun posted:

Swear I see more GR Yaris around here than regular Yaris. More CH-R than Yaris Cross too.

The CH-R has been around for much longer so that's not surprising.

I see tonnes of current shape regular Yaris because I live near a hospital and the DHB uses them as fleet cars - my wife says they're like driving a Rolls Royce compared to the Holden Sparks they used to get.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Sab669 posted:

I get the whole "Slow car fast" thing, the Fiesta ST I had was probably the most fun car I've owned. But idk I still need the suspension to inspire confidence and everything else that you simply don't find on a pure appliance car.
Maybe if I swapped out the rubber to some performance tires it wouldn't have been so bad

I turned my Scion xB into a decent handling car just by adding a sway bar in the rear, putting a bigger sway bar and strut bar in the front, and of course good summer tires.

Before that it was just meh but I'm pretty happy with it now, almost no body roll and very predictable.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

antimatt posted:

I have a GD Fit/Jazz as well as a Miata, and it can be fun but definitely not in the same way as a Miata. The shifter isn't bad but steeing is electric, the engine is gutless, suspension is strut/trailing arm, and tires are PO's mystery budget winters. So it's more like funny to drive it unreasonably fast than rewarding.

Applebees Appetizer posted:

I turned my Scion xB into a decent handling car just by adding a sway bar in the rear, putting a bigger sway bar and strut bar in the front, and of course good summer tires.

Before that it was just meh but I'm pretty happy with it now, almost no body roll and very predictable.
I've seen people mod the Fit too, the rear sway bar seems like a popular mod as well. There's an LSD available, turbos, brakes from civic, etc. The parts are pretty cheap too though I might've done it for shits and giggles if I had a garage to mess in.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I've always thought of the Swift as the fun hatch (the Sport is legit good) whereas the Jazz/Fit is like a mini-minvan.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Guy I know crammed a K20 into his Fit. I haven’t seen it drive but it’s like Saab 9-3 levels of tight in that engine bay.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

The Fit is the greatest sub compact of all time.

Wish mine was a manual though.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

dissss posted:

The CH-R has been around for much longer so that's not surprising.

I see tonnes of current shape regular Yaris because I live near a hospital and the DHB uses them as fleet cars - my wife says they're like driving a Rolls Royce compared to the Holden Sparks they used to get.

Oh for sure. I'm embarassed to say the CH-R has grown on me, esp now I see people dropping them on wheels, I kinda dig the future-Tokyo vibes. No idea if they're any good, just looks.

And yeah fleets are where I see the Yaris too.

dissss posted:

I've always thought of the Swift as the fun hatch (the Sport is legit good) whereas the Jazz/Fit is like a mini-minvan.

I thoroughly enjoyed ripping the poo poo out of a Swift Sport, and regular old Fit/Jazz too, they're a decent driver too with incredible interior practicality. Obviously the Spooooooort was better, but I haven't driven the sporty Jazz (RS?) to compare apples with apples.

They make (made?) the Freed, which is indeed a 3 row Jazz mini-minivan!

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

BuckyDoneGun posted:

Oh for sure. I'm embarassed to say the CH-R has grown on me, esp now I see people dropping them on wheels, I kinda dig the future-Tokyo vibes. No idea if they're any good, just looks.

And yeah fleets are where I see the Yaris too.

I thoroughly enjoyed ripping the poo poo out of a Swift Sport, and regular old Fit/Jazz too, they're a decent driver too with incredible interior practicality. Obviously the Spooooooort was better, but I haven't driven the sporty Jazz (RS?) to compare apples with apples.

They make (made?) the Freed, which is indeed a 3 row Jazz mini-minivan!

Egads! Is this Mazda 5 sized or smaller?

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

Russian Bear posted:

Egads! Is this Mazda 5 sized or smaller?

Smaller, although the measurements put them closer than I thought, the Freed still feels a class smaller.

2016+ Freed 1.5l - 1.5l hybrid 4cyl
Wheelbase 2,740 mm (107.9 in)
Length 4,265–4,295 mm (167.9–169.1 in)
Width 1,695 mm (66.7 in)
Height 1,710–1,735 mm (67.3–68.3 in)
Curb weight 1,340–1,420 kg (2,954–3,131 lb)

2010+ Mazda 5 1.8 - 2.5l 4cyl
Wheelbase 2,751 mm (108.3 in)
Length 4,585 mm (180.5 in)
Width 1,750 mm (68.9 in)
Height 1,615 mm (63.6 in)
Curb weight 1,470–1,568 kg (3,241–3,457 lb)

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

dissss posted:

Haven't driven the recent Swift but yeah probably it and the Fiesta would be the sportier, fun to drive cars. This isn't bad but definitely more utilitarian.

Dr. Lunchables posted:

Guy I know crammed a K20 into his Fit. I haven’t seen it drive but it’s like Saab 9-3 levels of tight in that engine bay.
Apparently it's a thing yeah. Interestingly when I first looked into it (just for fun, there's no way to legally swap to a different engine here) after getting the car there was hardly any information. Seems like this took off a bit just in the last year or so, e.g.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V77gpcS-nmw

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

See now if they sold that, I definitely would've kept mine lol

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

GD_American posted:

I prefer the layout of the last gen (doesn't hurt that I own one). The cupholders are cavernously deep, and behind the shifter instead of to the right side of it. I also like the A/C button placement and all.

I don't love the "half-iPad glued to dash" screen style, but that's hard to avoid from any car the last decade.

My knee perfectly hits the ignition button on the earlier model. Being tall sucks.

I can't stand the "iPad attached to dash" layout either. Toyota is by far the worst offender, it looks cheap, is cheap, slow and awful gaudy black glossy plastic. Auto manufactures have now gone too displays that are just way too freaking big and bright. :sigh:

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Gucci Loafers posted:

My knee perfectly hits the ignition button on the earlier model. Being tall sucks.

I can't stand the "iPad attached to dash" layout either. Toyota is by far the worst offender, it looks cheap, is cheap, slow and awful gaudy black glossy plastic. Auto manufactures have now gone too displays that are just way too freaking big and bright. :sigh:

they should repeal the backup camera law and then ban ipad dashes

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Shipon posted:

*Monkey paw closes* Now you have zero rear visibility since you won't get bigger rear glass in exchange. Of all bad modern car things, rear backup cameras are not one. You can set up rules to mitigate if not remove the tablets in dash by just enforcing certain features to be physical. Once an adequate numbers of buttons must be there, OEM will go for smaller screens since there won't be room otherwise.

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Mar 31, 2024

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Shipon posted:

All the children who die in backovers disagree with this.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
We don't care about the ones in front - overs though, raise that hood even higher!

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

KakerMix posted:

We don't care about the ones in front - overs though, raise that hood even higher!

America is like a shark, can only see forward.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Imagining a future where cars got smaller with plenty of glass again.

The Meat Dimension
Mar 29, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k
Affluent people don’t walk anywhere except the parking lot.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

The Meat Dimension posted:

Affluent people Americans don’t walk anywhere except the parking lot.

Als

The Meat Dimension
Mar 29, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k
Fair correction.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Watch your Kia telluride - away

https://www.npr.org/2024/04/01/1241954949/kia-recall-telluride-suvs

Good reason to engage in the arcane ancient art of manually engaging your parking break.

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

KillHour posted:

Genesis is apparently doing their own AMG/M thing and calling it "Magma"

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a60301240/genesis-magma-performance-gv60-concept/

I don't love that they're starting with the crossover and that the G80 sedan is going to be middle east only, but at least the color is cool.

Genesis Ligma

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006

Jean-Paul Shartre posted:

It’s more that Honda isn’t very prominent or visible here (I’m in Switzerland). Besides the Fit/Fit Cross thing, I only see one or two e’s around. I think they just don’t have much of a presence in either the market or people’s minds, and when you’re selling Just A Car, even a nice one, that’s not going to be enough to get people to put in the effort to seek Honda, specifically, out.

I remember seeing/hearing a ton of Honda CR-V commercials around, uhhhh, 10-15 years ago in Finland, but they seem to be all gone now.

Still see plenty old'ish Civics on the road, though.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Shipon posted:

just ban glossy black plastic or lcds with a bezel from 2002

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
So many new car interiors have piano black plastic that instantly get scratched the second something harder than a nerf ball touches it. What the hell is this kind of plastic that it's so goddamn delicate?