Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
They should call it the Europa, but I guess Lotus would not be happy with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I found this a bit amusing. T-Mobile Tuesday's big giveaway this week was a chance to win.....a Fisker Ocean One Launch Edition.

I realize that these giveaways are likely arranged a long time in advance, but I wouldn't even WANT to win one of these things since what you pay in tax will probably be more than the car's worth in 6 months.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I kinda like this?!

I got in a few of the Exeed range recently and the interiors are really nice quality and the cars are mad cheap considering the quality. You were talking £20k for a base SUV thing with a 7 year warranty... Top model was only £30k and they were very definitely gunning for Range Rover's market but at like half the price.

https://twitter.com/GregKable/status/1780481616978001968?t=ycAHZhIwr1JLJIF4H7-ZGw&s=19

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
I'd buy that minivan

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

kill me now posted:

I don't think that there would be any reasonable expectation that Ssanyong, Kia, Nissan or Toyota would be producing cars in Italy to back up the Italian model name. Its a bit different when its Alfa Romeo.

Not that I am siding with this hilarious ruling, but those cars are not the same situation.

The law called out by king dipshit doesn't require an Italian brand, just an Italian sounding product name. If Stellantis called the next Peugeot Valpolicella it would be the same. It's a law that is usually activated against food products when the DoP criteria aren't strong enough (and the receiving end doesn't have any decent lawyers).

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

Speleothing posted:

I'd buy that minivan

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

“Upmarket” great

MortLansky
Dec 17, 2014

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I kinda like this?!

I got in a few of the Exeed range recently and the interiors are really nice quality and the cars are mad cheap considering the quality. You were talking £20k for a base SUV thing with a 7 year warranty... Top model was only £30k and they were very definitely gunning for Range Rover's market but at like half the price.

https://twitter.com/GregKable/status/1780481616978001968?t=ycAHZhIwr1JLJIF4H7-ZGw&s=19

Needs one of those diagrams that show how far a toddler can stand in front of it before you can see them through the windshield.

Also, Chery? Exeed? Are they just throwing car manufacturer names into random word generators now?

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

euphronius posted:

“Upmarket” great

This works out to $22,700 as I saw it: https://www.exeedinternational.com/models/lx/index.shtml it even had motorised running boards/those dorky step things to help you get in.

This is $40k on the nose: https://www.exeedinternational.com/models/rx/index.shtml

'upmarket' for a Chinese brand is going to be an interesting number.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

MortLansky posted:

Also, Chery? Exeed? Are they just throwing car manufacturer names into random word generators now?

It's like all those fake brands on Amazon lol.

If this car gets too many bad reviews they'll just close up shop and reopen as "WIHOLL.".

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

MortLansky posted:

Needs one of those diagrams that show how far a toddler can stand in front of it before you can see them through the windshield.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_automobile_manufacturers_of_China

Start learning them.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
this is like people in 1985 talking about hyundai lol

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I kinda like this?!

Cyberminivan

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

If you had told me in 1987 as I was hanging on for dear life in the rattletrap Hyundai Excel driven by my sister's potdealer boyfriend that the favorite car I ever owned one day would be an SUV made in Alabama by the same company, I'd have told Tony that if he keeps lacing his stuff with PCP I was gonna have to tell my dad`

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

MortLansky posted:

All names are just made up.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

yep. the time to giggle at Build Your Dreams is now gone.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I kinda like this?!

this looks like they borrowed the draft files for Toyota's next Alphard, or at least what they would show of that at Tokyo Motor Show Japan Mobility Show 2025.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
The front of that thing is too concept car for me, and the wheels are some 70s British sci-poo poo, but that is an incredibly sexy rear 3/4 profile.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Except Hyundai made undoubtfully godawful cars, there's a load of Chinese cars that are very decidedly not godawful that are fully capable of cleaning up the bottom to mid end that other car makers have vacated / not really taking seriously AND they arent so bone headed as locking themselves into big rear end shitboxes.

BYD for example is far larger as well than most in the west understand and have in some cases their tech has gotten ahead of western makers liek blade batteries and being an enormous bus baker, they have made over 3 million cars last year (and growing a a massive rate), 100,000 EV buses and well over 10,000 EV trucks overall.

It's more and more likely BYD and co are going to be huge presence going forward.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

harperdc posted:

yep. the time to giggle at Build Your Dreams is now gone.

this looks like they borrowed the draft files for Toyota's next Alphard, or at least what they would show of that at Tokyo Motor Show Japan Mobility Show 2025.

That's what I thought as well. Not a bad thing by any means, Alphard's loving rule.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Except Hyundai made undoubtfully godawful cars, there's a load of Chinese cars that are very decidedly not godawful that are fully capable of cleaning up the bottom to mid end that other car makers have vacated / not really taking seriously AND they arent so bone headed as locking themselves into big rear end shitboxes.

China has also made godawful cars, but they had the good sense not to bring them to west and ruin their reputation.

Another difference also seems to be that Korea only had room for few car companies, so Hyundai had to slowly improve their products and reputation. In China after the car manufacturers improved you could take the lessons learned and start a new company with good cars right from the beginning.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

KakerMix posted:

That's what I thought as well. Not a bad thing by any means, Alphard's loving rule.

you dream about getting a Alphard or the Lexus version if you're getting picked up to go to the airport.

And then you get stuck in a lovely ford

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

The difference between Hyundai and the Chinese brands is it's not just one company, it's a bunch. EVs are basically resetting the playing field so it's going to be like the early 1900s with a bajillion companies nobody can keep track of until most of them die or get bought up.

How many new car companies have come to the US in the past 5 years compared to the like 50 before?

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
The new land cruiser is getting great reviews, very excited to make this my next car when i can afford it

https://youtu.be/RDcOOoDqcto?si=LuS3vHo-AxlCMU22

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Al-Saqr posted:

The new land cruiser is getting great reviews, very excited to make this my next car when i can afford it

I'm more interested in whatever the not-English-dude bought from Japan. An 'old' Land Cruiser, my guess is a 70 series.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

BYD for example is far larger as well than most in the west understand and have in some cases their tech has gotten ahead of western makers liek blade batteries and being an enormous bus baker, they have made over 3 million cars last year (and growing a a massive rate), 100,000 EV buses and well over 10,000 EV trucks overall.

It's more and more likely BYD and co are going to be huge presence going forward.

Or they will get sanctioned for price dumping

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I kinda like this?!

That's ugly as poo poo

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

His Divine Shadow posted:

Or they will get sanctioned for price dumping

Sure, that could get fabricate that for the 1.4 billion in the us/europe. The Chinese ev shot callers are going to be huge for the other 6.6 billion

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Al-Saqr posted:

If I manage my career switch with a relatively high paying position I really want to make this my car.

But I’ll prob just end up driving my Tacoma to the bitter end.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Hyundai as a name at least means something, if not in English. Chery and Exeed feel all the weirder because they are clearly English-inspired, but with weird mispelings evocative of, like, Tumblr.

Nov 6, 2002

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

don't worry, your local congressman is working hard to make sure they never reach our shores

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Muscle Tracer posted:

Hyundai as a name at least means something, if not in English. Chery and Exeed feel all the weirder because they are clearly English-inspired, but with weird mispelings evocative of, like, Tumblr.

what about like... acura. or camry

feel like people really need to look a bit inward about why they think that this particular iteration of Strange Names is bad

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I was pleasantly surprised when I learned that Toyota is a guy’s name. I don’t know why it made me feel like that, but it did.

I still dislike the ovals Toyota logo, though. I preferred when they just wrote the name on stuff.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

feel like people really need to look a bit inward about why they think that this particular iteration of Strange Names is bad
Or ~LEXUS~

I just turned 40 and a whole lot of my (younger, even) contemporaries started talking about kids and their slang and fashion as somehow being lesser or stranger than whatever ~we~ did when we were that age. Literally, unironically going "BACK IN MY DAY" boomering right before our very eyes, even though they directly make fun of their parents for doing exactly that, to our generation. Everyone forgets what it's like to be kids and nobody seems to be able to look inward without concentrated effort, is what I'm saying.

I will give any "BEST BRAND USA :)))" Chinese EV a chance ever before I'll give loving Ford or General Motors another chance.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Dr. Lunchables posted:

I was pleasantly surprised when I learned that Toyota is a guy’s name. I don’t know why it made me feel like that, but it did.

I still dislike the ovals Toyota logo, though. I preferred when they just wrote the name on stuff.

*Toyoda

It was changed to Toyota because when writing the name out Toyoda has 10 strokes, Toyota has a lucky 8.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

KakerMix posted:

Or ~LEXUS~

Apocryphally - Toyota wanted a way to promote their more premium vehicles but realized Americans care more about brand/badge than actual content. So when they introduced cars like the Toyota Celsior American focus groups were like "But it's still a Toyota?!" which had this weird association with cheap disposable Asian vehicles and not mighty Cadillac or Mercedes.

To compensate, Toyota came up with a luxury marque and brought the Celsior in as the famous LS400 under the newly created brand Lexus.

Luxury
Export
US
=Lexus.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Olympic Mathlete posted:

*Toyoda

It was changed to Toyota because when writing the name out Toyoda has 10 strokes, Toyota has a lucky 8.

Did not know that. I knew the name was Toyoda, but never the strokes. Gonna store it in the trivia section.

Nov 6, 2002

Kraftwerk posted:

Apocryphally - Toyota wanted a way to promote their more premium vehicles but realized Americans care more about brand/badge than actual content. So when they introduced cars like the Toyota Celsior American focus groups were like "But it's still a Toyota?!" which had this weird association with cheap disposable Asian vehicles and not mighty Cadillac or Mercedes.

To compensate, Toyota came up with a luxury marque and brought the Celsior in as the famous LS400 under the newly created brand Lexus.

Luxury
Export
US
=Lexus.

What till you hear what the acronym FORD actually stands for.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

they've at least gone whole hog into making something up entirely, a time-honored tradition. spelling things wrong on purpose has a much more "local HVAC repair guy" vibe, or "insufferably twee 2010s internet" vibe.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

I learned recently that Camry comes from Kaumri, which means "little crown."

e: way off with the spelling lmao

Full Collapse fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Apr 18, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Camry is the romanization of kanmuri, making it yet another goddamn Toyota called some variant of Crown (Crown, Corona, Corolla).

[edit] ninja’d