Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Naky posted:

Consumer reports really is terrible. Any car without ABS -and- ESC automatically on their base model loses a shitload of points from the get-go and very nearly gets put on their do not recommend car list. Never mind that research reports and statistics back up the facts that accidents aren't actually reduced by having ABS and ESC because the drivers that have them tend to drive worse thinking that those systems will save them... and they don't.

This is hardly an argument against CR. CR can't do anything about your reckless driving, all they can do is recommend the safest car for you. By all accounts ESC does significantly assist you in low control situations.

quote:

Plus they are so incredibly Honda-biased it's not even funny. They might as well call themselves the Honda Report. The last ratings I saw them do for subcompacts had the fully loaded Honda Fit rank first, and then the base model Honda Fit come in second. Did they take the fully loaded versions of every other car into consideration? Nope. Just the Fit. But then they compared every other manufacturer's base model car to the fully loaded Fit and not the base model one. What a poo poo show that review was.

The base model Fit doesn't have ESC, while the loaded one does, right? Can you get even get ESC at all in the Aveo or any other competitors? Maybe that's why. The Fit's only competitors are the Aveo, Versa, Accent/Rio and Yaris anyway, hardly a very competetive field. Ford, Chrysler and VW don't even sell subcompacts here until the Fiesta makes it over.

In any case, the Honda Fit is something like the best selling subcompact car in virtually any significant market for subcompact cars, so maybe they really are that good.

Autoblog had a nice interview with John Linkov in their last(before the current one) podcast, where they discuss at length their testing methodology, I found it very interesting. Bascially it confirms what I've always thought - their tests and hard data are great. Their subject rankings and conclusions are as good as...anyone else's subjective rankings and conclusions.

Throatwarbler fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Apr 14, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
After watching the video, that is a fairly aggressive amount of oversteer considering the traction control is supposed to be working at that point - none of the other SUVs reviewed go wild like that. It doesn't invalidate my argument about needing better driver training before you get into a powerful, tall RWD-biased vehicle, though.

CR's target market is morons, so their recommendation is based on "will a moron cross the yellow line and tag me with his rear end going around a blind corner doing 40 over while talking on his cellphone and ferociously masturbating to his in-dash TV?"

e: At least it's not as clearly unrealistic as their test of the Samurai.

ee: This actually looks like fun. I wonder if I can scam my local TV news into giving me the keys of one of these things so I can demo it on air.

eee: vvv You wouldn't be the only one. I got to see a Skyline that had wrapped itself around a lightpole on 14th. Aftermarket front mount intercooler. Guess how well removing that safety beam ended up?

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Apr 14, 2010

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Seat Safety Switch posted:

After watching the video, that is a fairly aggressive amount of oversteer considering the traction control is supposed to be working at that point - none of the other SUVs reviewed go wild like that. It doesn't invalidate my argument about needing better driver training before you get into a powerful, tall RWD-biased vehicle, though.

CR's target market is morons, so their recommendation is based on "will a moron cross the yellow line and tag me with his rear end going around a blind corner doing 40 over while talking on his cellphone and ferociously masturbating to his in-dash TV?"

e: At least it's not as clearly unrealistic as their test of the Samurai.

ee: This actually looks like fun. I wonder if I can scam my local TV news into giving me the keys of one of these things so I can demo it on air.

Plans to unveil the GX460 in China have been shelved indefinitely due to the safety concerns that have arisen, so this is pretty serious business.

I spun my small AWD car with snow tires across John Laurie Blvd, barely managing to miss 3 other cars, and ended up high centered backwards on the median last winter. That any added safety feature just encourages me to drive more recklessly is definitely true. :downs:

EDIT: Maybe I will post the dash cam video one day when I finally lose any small modicum of self respect.

Throatwarbler fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Apr 14, 2010

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

A5H posted:

Did they ever do a TVR?

They did, but the reviewer died when the car caught fire.

Seriouspost, biased or not, it probably shouldn't be that easy to make a Lexus GX look as rear end-happy as the RUF Yellowbird just by lifting off of the throttle.

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead

Throatwarbler posted:

This is hardly an argument against CR. CR can't do anything about your reckless driving, all they can do is recommend the safest car for you. By all accounts ESC does significantly assist you in low control situations.

The base model Fit doesn't have ESC, while the loaded one does, right? Can you get even get ESC at all in the Aveo or any other competitors? Maybe that's why. The Fit's only competitors are the Aveo, Versa, Accent/Rio and Yaris anyway, hardly a very competetive field. Ford, Chrysler and VW don't even sell subcompacts here until the Fiesta makes it over.

In any case, the Honda Fit is something like the best selling subcompact car in virtually any significant market for subcompact cars, so maybe they really are that good.

Autoblog had a nice interview with John Linkov in their last(before the current one) podcast, where they discuss at length their testing methodology, I found it very interesting. Bascially it confirms what I've always thought - their tests and hard data are great. Their subject rankings and conclusions are as good as...anyone else's subjective rankings and conclusions.

Anyone who can't see a problem with CR comparing a fully loaded car to every one else's base models probably deserves to be suckered in by CR's brib--err reviews. Either review all the base models together fairly or review all the fully loaded fairly but don't go tossing in only one brand's fully loaded and start ragging on base model Aveos/Accents/etc for not having the features that the fully loaded one had - especially when the monetary difference between those cars is easily nearly 10k when it's all said and done.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Re the GX460 oversteer - how come the Land Cruiser's ok? Is it different suspension settings, tyres, drivetrain setup, what?

I'm a little surprised that the stability control wasn't helping much - I thought most modern systems could brake individual wheels, which should let it pull the thing back in.

Either way, I hope someone expands on this test to demonstrate high speed Scandinavian flicks in a full-size SUV, because that sounds awesomely entertaining. :dance:

Blocko
Jul 12, 2008

Spoiler alert: Blood Ravens are actually Hiigarans who got sucked into the warp, were sent back in time to fight in WWII against the Panzer Elite, then stole a nazi time machine to go into the future and save mankind from an army of Lobster-Elephants and other impossible creatures.

Rated R.

InitialDave posted:

Either way, I hope someone expands on this test to demonstrate high speed Scandinavian flicks in a full-size SUV, because that sounds awesomely entertaining. :dance:

Here you go

It's not a scientific test at all. But I imagine the results would be the same.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

InitialDave posted:

Re the GX460 oversteer - how come the Land Cruiser's ok? Is it different suspension settings, tyres, drivetrain setup, what?

It's a 4-Runner clone, not a Land Cruiser clone. The 4-Runner passed the doriftu test with no problems, leaving software as the primary suspect.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

MrKatharsis posted:

It's a 4-Runner clone, not a Land Cruiser clone. The 4-Runner passed the doriftu test with no problems, leaving software as the primary suspect.

Someone must have compiled the ESP software while the Initial D game was running.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:
Ford is entering a Mustang in FIA GT3.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

quote:

Rear Suspension: Double Wishbone with pushrods, Dynamics suspension DSSV 4 way adjustable dampers

:gonk:

orange lime
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl

Throatwarbler posted:

:gonk:

You didn't think they'd actually keep the oxcart suspension, did you?

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
Double wishbone with pushrods, isn't that basically Control Blade?

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Q_res posted:

Double wishbone with pushrods, isn't that basically Control Blade?

I thought it means the springs and dampers are mounted inboard and actuated by rods.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

orange lime posted:

You didn't think they'd actually keep the oxcart suspension, did you?

It's not as demanding a class, but they do for Speed and World Challenge.

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

A monkey in a long line of kings

Throatwarbler posted:

The SX4 Crossover is pretty much the same size, shape, and drat near the same styling as the Fit. It's base model is in the price range of a Sport-trim Fit but it actually has traction and stability control. Why people haven't figured it out as a great deal is beyond me.

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003

Cuntpunch posted:

The SX4 Crossover is pretty much the same size, shape, and drat near the same styling as the Fit. It's base model is in the price range of a Sport-trim Fit but it actually has traction and stability control. Why people haven't figured it out as a great deal is beyond me.

I've driven both, the SX4 is way noisier and the inside looks even cheaper than the fit. It also uses more gas and the trunk isn't really big either.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
http://www.autoblog.com/2010/04/19/video-minis-mission-control-is-um-how-you-say-ridiculousl/

"If you love the handbrake, you have to set it free." :suicide:

Hermansen
Sep 2, 2006

Breaker, Breaker,
High Ball, Ten Ten,
Till We Do It Again,
Captain Slow.
what the hell, april fools this late?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Hahahaha , that's hilarious and awful. That better have a mute on it.

Engine:
[for the 5000th time]
Let's Mini!

Owner:
:suicide:

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

Semi-aquatic personification of unstoppable douchery
You can turn it off. Alternatively, the sound files are stored on an SD card so you could replace the voices using a Mr. T or William Daniels soundboard.

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003

hedge posted:

You can turn it off. Alternatively, the sound files are stored on an SD card so you could replace the voices using a Mr. T or William Daniels soundboard.

You mean it's real and like in the video ?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Yes. The early iterations actually announced your speed and had a Scottish engineer character but they found it too annoying. I think they actually plan on updating it with more voices so you can keep it fresh.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
The new Ford Explorer, in addition to being uni-body, will now have Land Rover's Terrain Control technology in it too. :911::hf::britain:

EDIT:

quote:

We naturally wish our friends the best of luck with their new vehicle. We just want everyone to know where the system was invented. And that was right here at Land Rover.

Welp.

Throatwarbler fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Apr 21, 2010

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
Sounds like someones a little bitter about getting sold to the Indians.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Not news exactly, but I've seen the Transit Connect a lot around Boston. I'm glad it's been popular with people who need small work vans.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

MrKatharsis posted:

Sorry, translation error here - I'm a Brit, we don't get the 4Runner, but we do get the Land Cruiser Prado, which is also related.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

kimbo305 posted:

Not news exactly, but I've seen the Transit Connect a lot around Boston. I'm glad it's been popular with people who need small work vans.

That's cool. I'm kinda wanting one. I think it would make a really good camping/bicycle hauling vehicle. Plus unlike the Honda Element and similar vehicles I could fit a motorcycle and associated tools in back. The thing I wonder about the engine is since its based on the same four cylinder that's in the Ford Focus will the hop ups from one carry over to the other?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
The TC is neat but it has a difficult time even unladen on the freeway so I wouldn't dare trying to drive it with a motorcycle and tools in the back.

Great for urban areas, though.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

The TC is neat but it has a difficult time even unladen on the freeway so I wouldn't dare trying to drive it with a motorcycle and tools in the back.

Great for urban areas, though.

Car and Driver did a article on just that hauling a motorcycle and tools from NYC to Alabama and back. For your reading:
http://www.caranddriver.com/features/10q1/2010_ford_transit_connect-feature_test

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Coredump posted:

That's cool. I'm kinda wanting one. I think it would make a really good camping/bicycle hauling vehicle. Plus unlike the Honda Element and similar vehicles I could fit a motorcycle and associated tools in back. The thing I wonder about the engine is since its based on the same four cylinder that's in the Ford Focus will the hop ups from one carry over to the other?
Apparently there are already some modified examples out there, so I would imagine everything would work.

It's a pity it's bad on the highway - I know a guy with a VW Eurovan that is absolutely fantastic at highway speeds, and I would have figured a Euro-descended Ford van to be at least as stable.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Apparently there are already some modified examples out there, so I would imagine everything would work.

It's a pity it's bad on the highway - I know a guy with a VW Eurovan that is absolutely fantastic at highway speeds, and I would have figured a Euro-descended Ford van to be at least as stable.

From the Car and Driver article it sounds like the Transit Connect is okay on the highway.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Coredump posted:

From the Car and Driver article it sounds like the Transit Connect is okay on the highway.

That's interesting, what I read in Edmunds' review was that it would be great around town but if you were planning to do a lot of highway miles it would probably be not so great.

I don't really trust C&D anyway though.

edit: their newest review of it seems to say that it's fine on the highway so I dunno what's up with that.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Apr 29, 2010

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

The TC would be absolutely great for highway use if you got the diesel+manual gearbox, but unfortunately you're only getting a torque-deficient 2L gasoline+automatic model.

Apart from that, it's a great little van.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I'm hoping the lack of a manual transmission is because of the chicken tax build; apparently that's the same reason manual Sprinters don't really exist in North America.

According to the M-B rep I talked to about it, almost all automatic Sprinters built are destined for our shores because that's what the majority want and it's much cheaper just to bring over identical models powertrain-wise (the Sprinter is damned expensive either way, though). I'll bet that if they start building the Connect in the States that a manual transmission option will arise from the decreased cost of federalization.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
That Mini is hilarious. They should include it as a base option you have to pay to delete.

kimbo305 posted:

These are popping up all over Houston. A pretty cool design and ideal for heavily urban areas.

edit

If they offered a removable bench seat in the back I'd consider one for band touring. Looks less cumbersome to drive than a full-size van.

Sir Tonk fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Apr 29, 2010

Wankie
Sep 11, 2002

Look Glenn we're saved!

Sir Tonk posted:

If they offered a removable bench seat in the back I'd consider one for band touring. Looks less cumbersome to drive than a full-size van.

Actually that's the standard configuration on all transit connects, its called the Wagon model.

Banana_Boy
Jul 14, 2003
First production pictures of the next Hyundai Elantra are out:

Overall I like it. I find their 'Fluidic Design' can have some odd angles from the front, but its one hell of an improvement over the current model.

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead
Gonna have to go with a general thumbs down on Hyundai's unified front end look on their new models. Just don't like it. Even on the Genesis coupe, the only visual flaw I have with the car is the front end of it. I think it's how long they're making the front seem by stretching out the headlights and the bizarre shape they keep making the fog lights in the bumpers. It'll be interesting to see how ugly they'll make the rumoured Velostar/new Tiburon to match the rest of the designs though :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

I'm hoping the lack of a manual transmission is because of the chicken tax build; apparently that's the same reason manual Sprinters don't really exist in North America.

According to the M-B rep I talked to about it, almost all automatic Sprinters built are destined for our shores because that's what the majority want and it's much cheaper just to bring over identical models powertrain-wise (the Sprinter is damned expensive either way, though). I'll bet that if they start building the Connect in the States that a manual transmission option will arise from the decreased cost of federalization.

They will start building them in the U.S. soon. Until then, they are all shipped over with 4 seats then for the 2 seat models the seats are removed to get around a 25% tax.