Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Garth Fader
Oct 8, 2008
I'm Very Stupid
gather ye round, and listen to my stupid

PS: This is me fellating capitalism:
:a2m:
So has anyone heard anything good about Land Rover (and Range Rovers specifically) in terms of reliability?

I really love the loving things, but i can't justify spending that kind of money on something that's gonna be in and out of the shop regularly. Somehow i'm hoping the recent sale of the company will do something to improve reliability, but it might just be a pipe dream.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead
Land Rover's been sitting at the bottom of JD Power's reliability ratings for years and by bottom I mean in the negative HUNDREDS. You don't buy a Land Rover for anything but dick waving in the SUV owner's worlds, except the joke's really on you and you just haven't accepted it yet.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Banana_Boy posted:

First production pictures of the next Hyundai Elantra are out:

Overall I like it. I find their 'Fluidic Design' can have some odd angles from the front, but its one hell of an improvement over the current model.

Aside from the massive and ungainly rear end, I actually like it. Had you shown me those pictures ten years ago and said "this is what a Hyundai will look like in a decade", I'd would never have believed it.

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Childs Play Charity 2011 Total: $1755
I'm not sure if I like the design language going down the chain that far. It cheapens the upper tiered cars pretty well.

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Garth Fader posted:

So has anyone heard anything good about Land Rover (and Range Rovers specifically) in terms of reliability?

I really love the loving things, but i can't justify spending that kind of money on something that's gonna be in and out of the shop regularly. Somehow i'm hoping the recent sale of the company will do something to improve reliability, but it might just be a pipe dream.
We tried using a Discovery for field research. The door locks have emergency secondary locks that prevent the doors from being unlocked FROM THE INSIDE OF THE VEHICLE. Also you can't start it if the security system malfunctions, we had problems with that as well. If you want reliability, get a Hilux. If you're in the US, the Tacoma is a weaker version, both very reliable though.

If I haven't convinced you, I almost got killed when the U-Joint went out. Seriously, steer clear of Land Rover.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Dolphin posted:

We tried using a Discovery for field research. The door locks have emergency secondary locks that prevent the doors from being unlocked FROM THE INSIDE OF THE VEHICLE.
You mean child locks? Or deadlocks?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Back to the TC, according to Autoblog they just got approved for cab use in Boston. loving awesome.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Mercedes introduced a CLS station wagon concept at the Beijing Motor show.

If it goes into production I imagine it'll probably replace the R-Class.

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/04/23/beijing-2010-mercedes-benz-cls-shooting-break-concept-is-the-fo/

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
Hot drat, thats nice. The only thing better would be a two-door version. I have a hard-on for impractical designs though.

Garth Fader
Oct 8, 2008
I'm Very Stupid
gather ye round, and listen to my stupid

PS: This is me fellating capitalism:
:a2m:

Naky posted:

Land Rover's been sitting at the bottom of JD Power's reliability ratings for years and by bottom I mean in the negative HUNDREDS. You don't buy a Land Rover for anything but dick waving in the SUV owner's worlds, except the joke's really on you and you just haven't accepted it yet.

What if I just really like the styling and the offroad capabilities?
:( Come on Land Rover, you can do it, get your poo poo together!

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
The burnout is incredible: http://jalopnik.com/5531592/ferrari-599-gto-enters-tunnel-of-love

If only I could afford a 599 GTO.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
The 599 GTO is faster than the Enzo? I'm not up to par on my supercar dickwaving but it's plastered all over that link.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Isn't it the same engine and heavier?

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Back to the TC, according to Autoblog they just got approved for cab use in Boston. loving awesome.

There's a special livery package Transit Connect available through ford fleet. I haven't ridden in any yet but they'd be good for NYC, you almost never get over 40 mph in mid town and it'd have more room for passengers + their poo poo than the Escape taxis. I hate Escape taxis, after they put all the taxi poo poo in the back seat is so dinky and not very comfortable.

Everytime I take a cab I mourn the death of the Crown Vic just little bit. Sure it guzzled gas like a wino at an open bar and was basically 1970s tech, but it had the best back seat to ride in.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Seat Safety Switch posted:

The burnout is incredible: http://jalopnik.com/5531592/ferrari-599-gto-enters-tunnel-of-love

I'm not going to lie, I came.

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

Semi-aquatic personification of unstoppable douchery

Seat Safety Switch posted:

You can now build your own! Mine's Avorio with the Abu Dhabi Blue stripe and it's classy as hell.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Wankie posted:

Actually that's the standard configuration on all transit connects, its called the Wagon model.

Oh awesome, all I've ever seen is the one used for delivery vehicles. Thanks.

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009

That is just too sexy.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:
I don't know if this counts as a new car per se, but it is a new car for Tim Lynch. Apparently Tim and crew at Proline are having Skinny Kid Race Cars build them a Z06 for Outlaw 10.5 racing.

That's a 670ci (10.9 liters for you heathens) all aluminum engine sitting between the frame rails. When it is finished it will be wearing twin 106mm turbos. Their old car made 3500hp at 32psi on a 620ci engine with twin 91mm turbos. They have tested that engine up to 40psi and found that every 2psi adds 150hp. If they can get the new car to hook at 40psi they may break into the 5s in the 1/4 mile. They ran a 6.53 @ 231 with 32psi with their old combination.

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

InitialDave posted:

You mean child locks? Or deadlocks?
No, they're not child safety locks. The doors have 2 separate lock motors that engage when the car is locked with the remote. One motor locks the door, the other disengages the unlock mechanism from the primary lock. This means the door must be unlocked electronically---and so when the second lock gets a little dusty, you're hosed. One by one the doors stopped working, starting with the rear, then the drivers side (climb in from the passenger side! fun!) then the right rear passenger door. The doors had to be taken apart to work again, and have the locks replaced. Wanna know how much Land Rover charges for that?

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta

frozenphil posted:

That's a 670ci (10.9 liters for you heathens) all aluminum engine sitting between the frame rails. When it is finished it will be wearing twin 106mm turbos.
:aaa:

Guys, for reference, this is a 106 mm turbo (borrowed from the Nova thread)

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

frozenphil posted:

I don't know if this counts as a new car per se, but it is a new car for Tim Lynch. Apparently Tim and crew at Proline are having Skinny Kid Race Cars build them a Z06 for Outlaw 10.5 racing.

That's a 670ci (10.9 liters for you heathens) all aluminum engine sitting between the frame rails. When it is finished it will be wearing twin 106mm turbos. Their old car made 3500hp at 32psi on a 620ci engine with twin 91mm turbos. They have tested that engine up to 40psi and found that every 2psi adds 150hp. If they can get the new car to hook at 40psi they may break into the 5s in the 1/4 mile. They ran a 6.53 @ 231 with 32psi with their old combination.

That's awesome and all but I think it would go better in the "post the aiest pictures you got" thread.

orange lime
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl

Mr. Apollo posted:

Mercedes introduced a CLS station wagon concept at the Beijing Motor show.

If it goes into production I imagine it'll probably replace the R-Class.

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/04/23/beijing-2010-mercedes-benz-cls-shooting-break-concept-is-the-fo/

That looks great everywhere behind the headlights. In front of them it's a total clusterfuck.

Hermansen
Sep 2, 2006

Breaker, Breaker,
High Ball, Ten Ten,
Till We Do It Again,
Captain Slow.
Porsche is introducing the return of the Fuchs rims to its costumers.
First only fitted to the 250 special edt. Sport Classic 911, these 19" Classic Fuchs can now be yours for the bargain price of, er, 5,569 Euro.

They look awesome, I have to say..

They're also giving the option of proper paddles instead of buttons on the PDK now, sweet..

topgear.com for more :)

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
If I were to ever purchase a Porsche, goddamn I am buying those wheels no matter the cost.

el topo
Apr 11, 2008

by Fistgrrl
At first I thought "5500 euros for rims, I can't believe it!" But then I remembered that this is not even unreasonable in the context of the Porsche 911 options list.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Hermansen posted:

Porsche is introducing the return of the Fuchs rims to its costumers.
First only fitted to the 250 special edt. Sport Classic 911, these 19" Classic Fuchs can now be yours for the bargain price of, er, 5,569 Euro.

They look awesome, I have to say..

They're also giving the option of proper paddles instead of buttons on the PDK now, sweet..

topgear.com for more :)

Did hella flush's server handle the load when this was announced? I imagine the vortex's servers probably melted down too.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
7 grand for a set of 4 rims isn't actually all that out there on cars in that price range. A set of 4 wheels on some Ferrari models can be twice as much.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

They are beautiful.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

hedge posted:

You can now build your own! Mine's Avorio with the Abu Dhabi Blue stripe and it's classy as hell.
I got mine in the historical racing livery. There's just no substitute.

Goddamn, that is one beautiful car.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

rscott posted:

7 grand for a set of 4 rims isn't actually all that out there on cars in that price range. A set of 4 wheels on some Ferrari models can be twice as much.

I think that's too much money for what you get.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

The M3 GTS' stats are out. That's one spicy meatball.

I think even the fire extinguisher holder is cut down for light weight.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Ugly, too expensive, and only marginally better performing than the 2011 Mustang. I can think of a lot better things to spend $150k on.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

frozenphil posted:

Ugly, too expensive, and only marginally better performing than the 2011 Mustang. I can think of a lot better things to spend $150k on.

You know, the factual point about it being marginally better and a lot more expensive I agree with. Years ago I may have agreed with the idea of going with the Mustang over the M3 but now I think there is something to be said about how a vehicle goes about getting those numbers. Maybe the M3 just feels better to drive. That special edition may not be worth what they ask but the choice between the regular M3 and the Mustang may be harder.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

frozenphil posted:

Let's be honest, it's because it doesn't have an slushbox, right?

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

MikeyTsi posted:

Let's be honest, it's because it doesn't have an slushbox, right?

No, it's because it costs $150k for a car that doesn't look better or perform better than a $30k car. It's not like it's even some exotic car people will buy for penis waving because everyone who sees it will think it's a riced out 3 series. The M3 GTS just doesn't make any sense to me.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

frozenphil posted:

No, it's because it costs $150k for a car that doesn't look better or perform better than a $30k car. It's not like it's even some exotic car people will buy for penis waving because everyone who sees it will think it's a riced out 3 series. The M3 GTS just doesn't make any sense to me.
If you're a real hardcore, must-save-weight, all-about-the-driving experience type looking for the M3, I'd expect you to be buying a real one anyway.

No matter who the manufacturer is, I get a little irritated with the whole "It's a lightweight special, yeah. We stuck a few extra holes in it, made some bits out of carbon fibre and would appreciate you giving us another twenty/thirty grand for the privilege. Don't worry, it's still got a stereo/aircon/traction control/leather/electric windows".

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

InitialDave posted:

No matter who the manufacturer is, I get a little irritated with the whole "It's a lightweight special, yeah. We stuck a few extra holes in it, made some bits out of carbon fibre and would appreciate you giving us another twenty/thirty grand for the privilege. Don't worry, it's still got a stereo/aircon/traction control/leather/electric windows".

The one car that really put its money where its mouth is is the Megane R26.R. They pulled almost all the stops on that one except A/C.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

kimbo305 posted:

The one car that really put its money where its mouth is is the Megane R26.R. They pulled almost all the stops on that one except A/C.

The European market E30 M3 could be had with no A/C, A/C equipped cars had different springs in the front struts, to account for the difference in weight. It really was the perfect car for all the :smug: spring/shock posters in this forum.

BMW use to be cool. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

frozenphil posted:

I might have missed them, but if you're basing the "marginally better performing" on the 0-60 you're only slightly ignoring that this is a track package. You know, corners.