Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

So many new car interiors have piano black plastic that instantly get scratched the second something harder than a nerf ball touches it. What the hell is this kind of plastic that it's so goddamn delicate?

Cheap to make yet looks 'premium' to buyers in the showroom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
you should always wear soft cotton gloves when operating your new premium vehicle to avoid leaving smudges, scratches and boogers upon the delicate "Piano Black" features. Also helps with dust.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Better question, who the hell keeps approving that poo poo for new models?

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

ilkhan posted:

Better question, who the hell keeps approving that poo poo for new models?

The same kind of guy that things having Q's in model names is worth millions of dollars of bonuses? Infiniti's lineup is so confusing now because it's all a Q something.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Either it's a Q and it's a Sedan or it's a QX and it's an SUV.

Seems fairly straight forward :shrug:

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Ioniq
Lyriq
Evoque
Qashqai

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

You see the name has IQ in it because it is smart.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

BloodBag posted:

The same kind of guy that things having Q's in model names is worth millions of dollars of bonuses? Infiniti's lineup is so confusing now because it's all a Q something.

Hired from Audi (after making sure everything was Q-something), went to Infiniti, where he made sure everything was Q-something, then went to Cadillac, where it all changed to CT or XT. Dude just loved killing nameplates.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

BloodBag posted:

Maybe your Toyota IQ is too low to understand the difference between Qashqai and QX

i kid

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Sab669 posted:

Either it's a Q and it's a Sedan or it's a QX and it's an SUV.

Seems fairly straight forward :shrug:

I never snapped to this. Maybe because Acura lives in the same space where all their models have X in them now except for the integra, I suppose. The Cadillac nomenclature is also out of control. Go back to names like Allante!

Is the quashkai the kicks or something? I've never seen one of those. E: ah, it's the rogue, how droll.

BloodBag fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Apr 2, 2024

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I think Audi does it best.

A# for sedans
Q# for SUVs.

BMW is close but their numbering system isn't the most obvious to normies, other than "Bigger = Better". Add an X for SUVs.

Mercs letter choices are dumb though.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Sab669 posted:

I think Audi does it best.

A# for sedans
Q# for SUVs.

BMW is close but their numbering system isn't the most obvious to normies, other than "Bigger = Better". Add an X for SUVs.

Mercs letter choices are dumb though.

If there as an i at the front of a BMW name, it is an EV. But if there is an i at the END of a BMW name, that means it is gas-powered. :psyduck:

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Mazda wins.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Muscle Tracer posted:

If there as an i at the front of a BMW name, it is an EV. But if there is an i at the END of a BMW name, that means it is gas-powered. :psyduck:

well you see when the i is in the front its the future like EVs, but when its at the end its in the past like gasoline :smug:

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Muscle Tracer posted:

Even better, the i at the end is specifically for fuel injected.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.

Muscle Tracer posted:

The i at the end means it's fuel injected.

Efb

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

what the gently caress are the numbers supposed to mean then?
I would have assumed 30i would like 3 liter fuel Injected. And 40i would be 4.0 liter fuel injected.
But 30i is 2 liter and 40i is 3 liter. :shrug:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Franco Caution posted:

I would have assumed 30i would like 3 liter fuel Injected. And 40i would be 4.0 liter fuel injected.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_BMW_vehicles#Nomenclature

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Franco Caution posted:

They cheat and say the turbo adds displacement.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Man bmw barely sells any of those higher numbers cars

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Franco Caution posted:

Yea once upon a time, it was [Series Number] + [Engine Displacement]. So like a 328 would be a 3 series with some 2.8L motor in it. Not sure when specifically they dropped that, but... it's been a while.

Now the bigger number just arbitrarily means "We put more boost in this tune"

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
The embodiment of "number go up" as a good thing

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Ah, the simplicity of German engineering: it just takes 1100 words, almost half of them in the "exceptions" section, to explain what your names (don't) mean.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

Sab669 posted:

Not sure when specifically they dropped that, but... it's been a while.

Per that Wikipedia link, they've been doing it since....1976. So, much like M-trims on non-M cars, it's something they've been doing the whole time, not just some modern plague.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Oh wild, I didn't know there were exceptions to that rule that far back. I assumed it was like "last 20 years or so" thing. Although it's definitely the norm now rather than exceptions :v:

Also, I love Audi's "S" trim/model of SUVS. Like an SQ5, I just think to myself, "Oh yes, the audi 5-squared". I like making up wrong names for cars; the Regal TourX is definitely "Regal Torques" in my head too.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.
BMW's nomenclature may be confusing and full of exceptions, but at least you can make an educated guess what a new one means after you have seen a bunch of them. In contrast the Ford names, Elevator, Exploder, Expander, those are all meaningless. They don't tell you at all what kind of vehicle it could be or where it falls in the lineup.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
Merc of course also guilty - not just with the new AMG 43/53 models, but a 63? They haven't built a 6.3l engine since 1981, and even the famous 450SEL 6.9 was only a 6.8l!

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I always laugh at the Cadillacs because their badging is torque in NM, which means for the escalate the 420hp 6.2 and 277hp 3.0 duramax are badged 600 and 600D

BuckyDoneGun posted:

Merc of course also guilty - not just with the new AMG 43/53 models, but a 63? They haven't built a 6.3l engine since 1981, and even the famous 450SEL 6.9 was only a 6.8l!

The new G550 is a 3.0 6 cylinder

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

BuckyDoneGun posted:

To be fair, when they first started using 63 in the modern era they were using a 6.2 V8.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

Q_res posted:

To be fair, when they first started using 63 in the modern era they were using a 6.2 V8.

Which is....not a 6.3.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
Which is squarely in, no sane person gives a poo poo territory.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Saukkis posted:

BMW's nomenclature may be confusing and full of exceptions, but at least you can make an educated guess what a new one means after you have seen a bunch of them. In contrast the Ford names, Elevator, Exploder, Expander, those are all meaningless. They don't tell you at all what kind of vehicle it could be or where it falls in the lineup.

What, you're telling me you can't decode Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat Redeye Widebody Jailbreak?

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Franco Caution posted:

Just remember that bigger number = better. I'm a wimpy man for getting a 330i instead of a 340i and I'm shamed daily for it.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

That's not a car, that's an NFL playcall.

Kivi
Aug 1, 2006
I care

Sab669 posted:

Yea once upon a time, it was [Series Number] + [Engine Displacement]. So like a 328 would be a 3 series with some 2.8L motor in it. Not sure when specifically they dropped that, but... it's been a while.

Now the bigger number just arbitrarily means "We put more boost in this tune"
Nope. It's always been performance tiers, it's just models in the US have followed that sort of. RoW has had silly things like E23 745i and more common and recent (20 years old) models like the E39 520i and 523i, E46 316i and 318i not following this.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

That's not a car, that's an NFL playcall.

:hai:

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Saukkis posted:

Having names for things is a much better system for … naming things … than random numbers or letters. Using words is good.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

Q_res posted:

Which is squarely in, no sane person gives a poo poo territory.

Well OK, but this whole conversation is literally about the numbers not matching.

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

Dr. Lunchables posted:

Having names for things is a much better system for … naming things … than random numbers or letters. Using words is good.

agreed. Fleetwood Brougham vs ct6. no way could/would afro man be rhyming about no ct6

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Saukkis posted:

Normal people describing their BMW:

“I have the big SUV”

“I have the sedan, it’s blue”