Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001
similarly, Chery is a romanization of their Chinese names Qirui. Luxeed is something like Lexus i guess, luxurious something something.

crap, page snipe. here's a Nio ET5 Touring I wish I could buy here.

GlassEye-Boy fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Apr 18, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Saukkis posted:

China has also made godawful cars, but they had the good sense not to bring them to west and ruin their reputation.

That isn't entirely true, Chery tried with various awful models in the early 2010s, and Australia/NZ got some extremely crappy GWM utes and SUVs.

Even more recently I'd consider the MG3 and the ICE versions of the ZS as pretty much garbage. Also MG has the hilariously bad idea of trying to sell the MG5 sedan in Australia (a model clearly never intended for export)

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

root beer posted:

Camry is the romanization of kanmuri, making it yet another goddamn Toyota called some variant of Crown (Crown, Corona, Corolla).

[edit] ninja’d

Muscle Tracer posted:

they've at least gone whole hog into making something up entirely, a time-honored tradition. spelling things wrong on purpose has a much more "local HVAC repair guy" vibe, or "insufferably twee 2010s internet" vibe.

boys it literally is exactly the same, Chery is a romanization of their name.

edit: i suspect a bunch of you would be sitting around saying some pretty dreadful poo poo about the Japanese brands when they came to the US

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Al-Saqr posted:

The new land cruiser is getting great reviews, very excited to make this my next car when i can afford it

https://youtu.be/RDcOOoDqcto?si=LuS3vHo-AxlCMU22

Yeah they look fantastic. I'm waiting to hear what the macan EV reviews are like and then trying to decide.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Why would that be any different than right now, when people aren’t saying anything “dreadful”? Because it would be the seventies and everyone would be completely different people?

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

edit: i suspect a bunch of you would be sitting around saying some pretty dreadful poo poo about the Japanese brands when they came to the US

I'd say they were using made-up words, and/or misspelling words on purpose. What's dreadful there? What else is there to say about "Exeed"?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

don't worry, your local congressman is working hard to make sure they never reach our shores

Not here, BYG's are popping up everywhere in Koala fucker land

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I don’t actually have an issue with Chinese cars coming here nor do I care what the automakers are called, I was only noting that Toyota isn’t very imaginative when it comes to naming their cars

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

root beer posted:

I don’t actually have an issue with Chinese cars coming here nor do I care what the automakers are called, I was only noting that Toyota isn’t very imaginative when it comes to naming their cars

I swear we were just talking poo poo a few weeks ago about carmakers that call their cars by numbers and letters.
And how certain numbers that actually meant a specific thing don't even mean that anymore.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I still feel that way. Gimme all the made up words in the book. I want the Maxcellence sedan and the Perfexcellence coupe.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

can we all agree "build your dreams" is dumb

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

GoutPatrol posted:

can we all agree "build your dreams" is dumb

9700 for a new car is dream for a lot of us

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

https://youtu.be/xoavzFHyIQY?si=U5Pys7hLDxBqXWi2

Farah also described it as "by far the best sports EV I've driven"

Price tag is big, but I love that Hyundai is trying to have fun with this thing.

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

:pervert:Zoom Zoom, motherfuckers:pervert:
Ringing endorsement from Farah. I suspect he’s right in saying if everyone doesn’t copy this approach for their performance EVs they will be left behind.

This would be right up my alley as a daily but for the price. It’s hard to spend $70K on something you know will be worth 30 in 3-4 years.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

While I know BEV manufacturers can't say the quiet part out loud, having the battery pack and BMS be easily maintainable and replaceable would certainly do a lot for easing longevity fears.
If I was reasonably certain that 5-8 years from now I could retrofit a pack with new chemistry/better tech that had the same current and voltage specs as the OE one, I would be way less cautious about buying a BEV.

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
speaking of china starting to run laps around everyone else, has anyone looked at this insanity?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbAB0ICj1Mc

Lol 150k usd, but still fascinating. 50kwh with a generator seems like a way better design for offroad SUVs vs something like the rivian with just the massive battery pack. It looks decent too, and has buttons.

The Bandit
Aug 18, 2006

Westbound And Down

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

What till you hear what the acronym FORD actually stands for.

https://youtu.be/3AJCdmW33fM?si=Q6x-uAqeqi2izNzs

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

MeruFM posted:

speaking of china starting to run laps around everyone else, has anyone looked at this insanity?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbAB0ICj1Mc

Lol 150k usd, but still fascinating. 50kwh with a generator seems like a way better design for offroad SUVs vs something like the rivian with just the massive battery pack. It looks decent too, and has buttons.

from the reviews I saw it has great tech, but probably too heavy to be really effective at offroading. but then again most people who buy these won't be taking them offroad.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
The other trick you gotta keep in mind with naming any global product these days is a) hope it doesn't mean wanker in some other language and b) it needs to be something you can secure as a trademark. Hence, made up words with weird spelling.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Sab669 posted:

https://youtu.be/xoavzFHyIQY?si=U5Pys7hLDxBqXWi2

Farah also described it as "by far the best sports EV I've driven"

Price tag is big, but I love that Hyundai is trying to have fun with this thing.

I've been saying for a while, if you haven't driven a Hyundai N-Line you are seriously missing out - they are all incredibly good and actual drivers cars

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Genesis should bring the G70 Touring over to the US and then MAGMA it so I can be 1 of 3 buyers :hmmyes:

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Sab669 posted:

Genesis should bring the G70 Touring over to the US and then MAGMA it so I can be 1 of 3 buyers :hmmyes:

Well, we know 2/3rds of them would be owned in forum, anyway.

Sadly, the G70 is a one and one in the US.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

I've been saying for a while, if you haven't driven a Hyundai N-Line you are seriously missing out - they are all incredibly good and actual drivers cars

You mean N? N-Line is mostly an appearance package.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
I would love to get an Elantra N, but a couple months ago i tried out a GTI and quite frankly the streets, roads, highways over here are not suitsble AT ALL for a sports tuned car, the streets are much too uneven, rough and bumpy to make it a livable daily driver. Also the municipality here loves LOVES speedbumps that havent been re-painted in a decade or two. Sadly im completely out of the right geographic market for sports tuned cars like the N lines, Gr-86's, GTI's etc.

Thats why im mostly interested in cars like the land cruiser, because you might as well have an big off roader with good ground clearance given the huge variance in road quality here.

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Apr 20, 2024

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

I think Hyundai only (re?)entered Japan with a couple of the EV models, including the Ioniq5. So no go-fast until those work their way through.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

The Ioniq 5 is one of the better looking cars today, but it's still a chunky little SUV. If Hyundai would turn either the Vision 74 or the Grandeur EV concepts into real cars I would instantly buy either one of them.aa

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

How is it an suv.

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

Perhaps because of the size? It looks smaller in pictures but in person it's larger than I expected. It's basically a lowered X3 size wise.

Franco Caution fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Apr 20, 2024

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
My Golf for size comparison:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

The 5 was a great exercise in marketing in that all the photos were chosen in such a way as to hide how big it was. I pulled up behind one on my motorbike after launch and it was the same size as the Range Rover Evoque next to it. The thing is like 2" shorter in height but almost 12" longer.

So while it may be hatchback styled it's big as gently caress but of course the proliferation of truly enormous SUVs available to the US market will have skewed your perception of sizing a bunch.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

An overgrown hatchback is a win nowadays. At least it retains a lot of cargo utility.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Mavericks are finally building in stock and a tad under msrp but unfortunately it's just the loaded packages in the mid $30k range lol.

Base models are way harder to find in stock and I'm sure that's by design, gently caress you Ford.

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp

Olympic Mathlete posted:

The 5 was a great exercise in marketing in that all the photos were chosen in such a way as to hide how big it was. I pulled up behind one on my motorbike after launch and it was the same size as the Range Rover Evoque next to it. The thing is like 2" shorter in height but almost 12" longer.

So while it may be hatchback styled it's big as gently caress but of course the proliferation of truly enormous SUVs available to the US market will have skewed your perception of sizing a bunch.

I thought the same thing but I just looked up the specs and it's actually not that big? It's kind of baffling. Compared to the Golf it's 4 inches wider, 4.5 inches taller and just over a foot longer.

The Evoque has the opposite problem, it looks big but it's compact car sized.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Bulk Vanderhuge posted:

I thought the same thing but I just looked up the specs and it's actually not that big? It's kind of baffling. Compared to the Golf it's 4 inches wider, 4.5 inches taller and just over a foot longer.

Which makes it bigger than a Tiguan.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

If we're kind and ignore height because EVs are putting batteries under the floor so will obviously be taller...

*edit: vs a hatch that was everywhere on UK streets...

"well it's just a bit bigger" - person who doesn't understand volume.

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Apr 21, 2024

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Yeah the 5 has that hatchback look but then someone set it to 130% size.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
Ioniq5 is also wide as hell, to the point that it might not fit in a lot of european residential or historic roads (which are 1.8m wide or less).

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

I went and sat in an Ioniq the other day finally and it was like... completely normal sized. It's the size of a new CRV. Ok just barely bigger. But I don't get why people have an issue with that, if it was smaller inside no one would buy it, like no one bought a honda E. People don't go, a CRV oh my god what a monstrosity.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

One of my neighbors has a 1986 caprice classic . I haven’t seen him drive it for years. He had it out yesterday and its tiny !! I remember in the 1980s the caprice was a huge car. Things are getting hosed up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Infinotize posted:

I went and sat in an Ioniq the other day finally and it was like... completely normal sized. It's the size of a new CRV. Ok just barely bigger. But I don't get why people have an issue with that, if it was smaller inside no one would buy it, like no one bought a honda E. People don't go, a CRV oh my god what a monstrosity.

euphronius posted:

One of my neighbors has a 1986 caprice classic . I haven’t seen him drive it for years. He had it out yesterday and its tiny !! I remember in the 1980s the caprice was a huge car. Things are getting hosed up

Peoples sense of normalcy is indeed getting hosed up.