Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

I have never seen a V6 Camry in Canada except for the initial models of the previous generation. Nobody buys them.

That motor is completely muzzled on that platform too. It shines most in the Lexus IS. The savage geese review suggest the new Camry at higher trims will be the perfect do it all sedan with fuel economy and price factored in. I think that sounds like a pretty good deal to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

His Divine Shadow posted:

A 90s Toyota Corolla is an enthusiast car now

an echo with a 2zz swap..........

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
My biggest regret is selling my 1992 MR2. :smith:

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

I'd argue that a non-hybrid 2024 Toyota Corolla is an enthusiast car, because if you didn't prioritize lower weight, better handling and faster acceleration, you would have bought a Corolla Cross, Corolla Hybrid, C-HR, or Corolla Cross Hybrid.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Twerk from Home posted:

I'd argue that a non-hybrid 2024 Toyota Corolla is an enthusiast car, because if you didn't prioritize lower weight, better handling and faster acceleration, you would have bought a Corolla Cross, Corolla Hybrid, C-HR, or Corolla Cross Hybrid.

My brother in law has a recent model Corolla with a 6(?) speed manual transmission. It feels like a rare, dying breed but it's fun to drive.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I hate driving my mom's 09 5MT Corolla

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Godzilla07 posted:

The death of the fast Accord with the current generation of Accord is more of a bummer than the death of a car that only existed in press fleets

Yeah I wasn't so much lamenting the loss off the V6 as I was the choice of (Engine) or (More Engine).

I am so glad I ponied up for the MT and 2.0 in our '18 Accord. I feel sad that both the current Accord and the new Camry will be powered by the color beige.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

GD_American posted:

I am so glad I ponied up for the MT and 2.0 in our '18 Accord. I feel sad that both the current Accord and the new Camry will be powered by the color beige.

I didn't realize the 2.0 MT Accords were so rare, I did a search not long ago on them and the closest one to Tampa was in Atlanta. For some reason I thought Honda made a bunch of them but that must have been the Civic.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Applebees Appetizer posted:

I didn't realize the 2.0 MT Accords were so rare, I did a search not long ago on them and the closest one to Tampa was in Atlanta. For some reason I thought Honda made a bunch of them but that must have been the Civic.

Take rate never crossed 2 percent. They dropped it after 2019.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

I feel like the only person who likes the way the new Accords look.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
The V6 Camry has always been a luxury option compared to the 4cyl, which is all the motor anyone really needs for all their Camry needs.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Residency Evil posted:

I mean, kind of. The list of people driving a 90s Corolla in TYOOL 2024 are:

1. Enthusiasts of 90s Corollas
2. Some random person in California or Arizona where a 1990s Corolla hasn't rusted in to oblivion yet

You see a few of them and they're still about in Finland despite salt I see two of them about my town, I think old people are driving them. Preventative treatment does wonders. I was reminded about corollas in particular since I stumbled over an article about how just any 80s or early 90s car is now desirable car for car enthusiasts, with some younger looking guy standing over his mint condition Corolla with the yellow DRL lights.

Twerk from Home posted:

It's a modern car, it's :geno: regardless of configuration.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

LeeMajors posted:

I feel like the only person who likes the way the new Accords look.

The new accord looks class imo. The only thing is that the back end shape suggests that it would be a lift back (kinda like a smaller A7) but it’s a regular trunk. Lift back would be better.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

A handful of years ago my wife bought me a driving experience thing at Sonoma to take the RS4 to. I had 0 track experience, just some amount of GT/forza whatever, so a novice. But as they regrouped everyone throughout the day I ended up in the fast group with a 458 and I forgot what else. And the instructors were driving Camrys, at least modified with tires and safety equipment but I wonder if nothing else.

And naturally they were faster than all of us, basically just acting as lead cars and going as fast around the track as any of the students was able to in their faster vehicles.

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021
The e210 is a fun car, especially into the drive a slow poo poo box fast kinda way. Much more fun than a lot of stuff out there. They are 2700lbs with a fine enough 170hp & 155 torques. ~na Miata power/weight. The gears are too long, the springs are too soft, the steering ratio is lame, numb steering, no e brake. But I liked ripping around in one. Gr is still underpowered enough to rip some on public roads but the e210 lets you always be reving the piss out of it

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

:hmmyes:

We've watched this happen with wagons, used to be the family car, lame, boring, for idiot dads. Then wagons went away now they are cool, sophisticated, coveted. Likewise the hatch is almost dead, now they are neat, cool things where before they were just 'a car'. Now the coupes and sedans are on life support they too become unique. Even minivans have a cool factor for everyone that isn't a stuck-in-time moron because practically they are fantastic and everyone else that cares about idiot things gets a CUV or SUV. The new Toyota Camry Hybrid easily is an enthusiast car because someone isn't going to accidentally end up in one, those people end up in Nissan Rogues.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

KakerMix posted:

[…] someone isn't going to accidentally end up in one, those people end up in Nissan Rogues.

Thread title

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

In that case I can't wait til SUVs are coveted rarities and we're spoiled rotten with sedans coupes and wagons.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

smooth jazz posted:

In that case I can't wait til SUVs are coveted rarities and we're spoiled rotten with sedans coupes and wagons.

The future is nothing but half-tons, friend.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

You see a few of them and they're still about in Finland despite salt I see two of them about my town, I think old people are driving them. Preventative treatment does wonders. I was reminded about corollas in particular since I stumbled over an article about how just any 80s or early 90s car is now desirable car for car enthusiasts, with some younger looking guy standing over his mint condition Corolla with the yellow DRL lights.

In the very early 00s a bunch of my friends were into late 70s/early 80s Corollas - KE20s and KE30s mostly but any of the RWD models were considered cool.

Those early Corollas always seemed like very old cars even when they were only 20-something years old, whereas to my aged brain a 2002 Corolla still feels relatively modern today.

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

dissss posted:

Those early Corollas always seemed like very old cars even when they were only 20-something years old, whereas to my aged brain a 2002 Corolla still feels relatively modern today.

That's because the 70s were 40+ years ago but 2002 was just 2 years ago.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

https://www.consumerreports.org/cars/car-maintenance/the-cost-of-car-ownership-a1854979198/

The differences between brands are so small, I feel like brand was the wrong way to slice it. The only reason that I could see for Buick and Lincoln to cost less than Chevy and Ford would be because they sell fewer trucks, and truck consumables are more expensive.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Twerk from Home posted:

https://www.consumerreports.org/cars/car-maintenance/the-cost-of-car-ownership-a1854979198/

The differences between brands are so small, I feel like brand was the wrong way to slice it. The only reason that I could see for Buick and Lincoln to cost less than Chevy and Ford would be because they sell fewer trucks, and truck consumables are more expensive.

you're right, it should be by vehicle type

i just sold my 2017 gti and only spent 2550 on maintenance over 50k miles and almost 7 years, far lower than this chart

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Who will make the mini mini van again. Like Mazda 5 sized or even a little shorter with sliding doors.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Russian Bear posted:

Who will make the mini mini van again. Like Mazda 5 sized or even a little shorter with sliding doors.

Absolutely zero room for this when there are tons of crossovers with a tiny, barely usable 3rd row already. I want more sliding doors but the American buyer does not.

All the small cargo vans died anyway too. No more Transit Connect, Dodge Promaster City, Nissan NV200.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

The Beijing Auto show starts on Thursday and some stuff you can't have is being shown.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Powershift posted:

The Beijing Auto show starts on Thursday and some stuff you can't have is being shown.

Would daily. Would take detours through people's garden and over random fields.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Twerk from Home posted:

Absolutely zero room for this when there are tons of crossovers with a tiny, barely usable 3rd row already. I want more sliding doors but the American buyer does not.

All the small cargo vans died anyway too. No more Transit Connect, Dodge Promaster City, Nissan NV200.

Sigh yeah I know, back to searching autotrader for a manual Mazda 5

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

Twerk from Home posted:

[in unison with the congregations call back]
Praise be the slider!

I wish we lived in a transit connect rs world instead of a raptor world

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

no lube so what posted:

a transit connect rs

i didn't know i needed this forbidden fruit, thanks

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Powershift posted:

Car makers will do anything to avoid making wagons

Idiots

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

I'm wondering what the value proposition of the new Camry will be when the Prius exists.

With the Prius you get a similar powertrain but a more practical hatch. What do you get with the Camry? Is it luxury at the higher trim levels? More performance?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

It looks like a car

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Kraftwerk posted:

I'm wondering what the value proposition of the new Camry will be when the Prius exists.

With the Prius you get a similar powertrain but a more practical hatch. What do you get with the Camry? Is it luxury at the higher trim levels? More performance?

Much bigger back seat area, better handling, more luxury and comfort at the higher trims and overall larger trunk. And the next gen has much better sound isolation.

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Apr 23, 2024

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

Russian Bear posted:

Sigh yeah I know, back to searching autotrader for a manual Mazda 5

Someday, the id Buzz will be available in north america. Even then, it won't be cheap.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Kraftwerk posted:

The Prius still as a weird stigma attached to it, while the Camry is just "car". A friend's SO ended up getting a Camry Hybrid because he didn't like the Prius and because he thought it was full electric for some reason.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Yea, in many houses a car model carries more weight than the overall brand. I forget if it was Toyota or Honda but I recall reading something that dove into how the same powertrain in 2 different appliance cars still appeal to different buyers.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Car makers will do anything to avoid making wagons

Idiots

Denza (BYD JV with MB) is announcing a very hot 960 hp wagon though.

https://youtu.be/KueNkBVbYQQ?si=LRqHaLwqiBCgthwk

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

GlassEye-Boy posted:

Denza (BYD JV with MB) is announcing a very hot 960 hp wagon though.

https://youtu.be/KueNkBVbYQQ?si=LRqHaLwqiBCgthwk

Incredible things are happening in china

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
Nice looking, but jeez that's the very edge of "wagon".