Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Throatwarbler posted:

The NA version already starts at $44k for the FWD and reasonably equipped is easily $50k+.

Well, I'm still going off the assumption the turbo XTS will be AWD-only, because I refuse to believe anyone would think making it FWD was a good idea. Which bases at $52k, the AWD Platinum starts at $61k. I could see this getting really expensive, really fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Well this isn't good for the Ecoboost and Ford:

http://news.yahoo.com/ford-owners-sue-saying-ecoboost-210451248.html

quote:

DETROIT (AP) -- Three Ohio drivers are suing Ford Motor Co., claiming the company's six-cylinder EcoBoost engine is defective.

The lawsuit says the 3.5-liter V6 EcoBoost engine can shudder, shake and then rapidly lose power while drivers are accelerating. Two of the plaintiffs, a married couple, say their 2010 Ford Taurus SHO has lost power and stalled on multiple occasions. The third says he has lost power when he was accelerating in his F-150 pickup.

The lawsuit claims Ford has acknowledged the problem in messages to dealers, but hasn't informed owners.

Emphasis mine. If it's true about Ford acknowledging it to dealers and keeping owners in the dark it's gonna bite them in the rear end. First I've heard of this issue however.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003
There is a big problem with the drive by wire throttle causing similar issues on the 2.5 4cyl they use in fusions etc, I wonder if it's related.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

leica posted:

Emphasis mine. If it's true about Ford acknowledging it to dealers and keeping owners in the dark it's gonna bite them in the rear end. First I've heard of this issue however.

There's a guy on another forum I browse that's getting ready for his 3rd engine replacement under warranty in an F150.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I would have figured it was a sensor, or faulty programming causing the issue. I was under the impression the physical bits of the 3.5 EB are pretty rock solid.

Vigo327
Dec 24, 2012
IF I CONTINUE TO WHINE ABOUT THE PROBATIONS I RECEIVE, REPORT THIS POST SO THAT I CAN BE PROBATED AGAIN
https://www.visordown.com/motorcycle-news-industry/the-nurburgring-goes-on-the-market/22761.html

Nurburgring is for sale. Trepidation at possible consequences ensues. TREPIDATION I SAY!!

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
Now I really need to win that $360m lottery prize.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

leica posted:

Doesn't that engine have direct fuel injection? Just speculating, but if it does, I wouldn't be surprised that it's plagued by the same high-pressure fuel pump issues as nearly every other engine with DFI seems to be facing these days.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Q_res posted:

Actually, if you want nitpick, the Vortec named didn't come around until they started shoving it in S-10s. The Ecotec 4.3 should be a revelation though, the old Vortec simply wasn't enough motor for a modern full-size truck.

Going back a page, but if you really want to nitpick, they put the 4.3's into S-10's before the Vortec name came out. I had an '89 S-10 short bed regular cab with a regular old 4.3 in it. Oddly it was in the Durango trim, which made it quite the sleeper.

The lipstick pink paint with white and yellow flames down the sides I applied in vocational school, not so much.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Some new pictures of the M235i came out today:

Not bad looking at all. I'd almost definitely take that over the S3 or CLA.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

fknlo posted:

I like the headlights better than whats on the F30/F31 for sure. I wonder what the measurements will be. Current F30 3 series (sedan) is 182 inches long, 1 series around 170 inches long, if it's right in the middle it will be almost exactly E46 sized lengthwise.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Keyser S0ze posted:

I like the headlights better than whats on the F30/F31 for sure. I wonder what the measurements will be. Current F30 3 series (sedan) is 182 inches long, 1 series around 170 inches long, if it's right in the middle it will be almost exactly E46 sized.

I think it should be around the same size as the current 1 series since that's what it's replacing. Not sure if they made it bigger or not. Are we eventually going to get into fractions or decimals as they make vehicles larger every generation and they keep having to make new models that are the same size as the old one? The new BMW M.875isdrive is approximately the same size as the E46 M3!

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

fknlo posted:

I think it should be around the same size as the current 1 series since that's what it's replacing. Not sure if they made it bigger or not. Are we eventually going to get into fractions or decimals as they make vehicles larger every generation and they keep having to make new models that are the same size as the old one? The new BMW M.875isdrive is approximately the same size as the E46 M3!

Oh that makes sense. I also just read up on the 1/2 board on Bimmerfest and it looks like the 1 will come back as a sedan and they are also bringing a 2 Grand Coupe.

They still have a gap between the F30 and F10 where a 188 inch long car would be perfect.

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 18:22 on May 16, 2013

ynotony
Apr 14, 2003

Yea...this is pretty much the smartest thing I have ever done.

fknlo posted:

It seems proportioned a lot better than the current 1 series coupe. I might have finally found a suitable replacement for my zhp! I've been reading that the hatchback is killing everything in its class and above.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

fknlo posted:

It is bland, like most BMWs the past decade. Seriously newer Kias have more style than BMWs these days.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

You Am I posted:

It is bland, like most BMWs the past decade. Seriously newer Kias have more style than BMWs these days.

I agree. I think we've seen the same BMW design for almost ten years now.

ynotony
Apr 14, 2003

You Am I posted:

The last decade was full of BMW putting out polarizing designs, so bland is definitely not the right word. Every other one was ugly or gorgeous. Personally, I don't need a car to be one of the more stylish on the road for me to buy it. If it is as good as the m235i, all it has to do is look decent. I'm not sure if BMW has ever really been known for having super stylish cars. They're traditionally pretty conservative, with a few exceptions. Also the 2 series is aimed at young enthusiasts, not status seekers.

I've never heard of anyone complain about a Kia, which to me means they're either perfect or bland... and they definitely aren't perfect. Don't confuse flare for style.

Devyl posted:

...I think we've seen the same BMW design for almost ten years now.

Compare a 2003, 2008, and 2013 3 series. Maybe you're thinking of Audi.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
The E60 (2004-2010) 5 and E65 (2002-2008) 7 were pretty freaking ugly to look at with the Dame Edna eyebrows and giant boxy trunk backpack poo poo that was going on.

Maybe I'm old and traditional but I like their return to 1-sausage, 3(or maybe now 10?) sizes :colbert:

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 00:36 on May 17, 2013

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
new IIHS small overlap test results are out.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

What exactly is the difference in small and medium overlap? Common sense would tell you that a car which does well in medium overlap would (by default) fare well in small overlap test.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

angryhampster posted:

What exactly is the difference in small and medium overlap? Common sense would tell you that a car which does well in medium overlap would (by default) fare well in small overlap test.

The smaller the overlap, the less structure is available to absorb energy. Your argument would suggest that a car that does well in a head-on crash would by default fare well in an offset crash.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

kimbo305 posted:

The smaller the overlap, the less structure is available to absorb energy. Your argument would suggest that a car that does well in a head-on crash would by default fare well in an offset crash.

Yeah, small overlap you have the aprons absorbing the damage, while medium overlap has both the apron and one of the actual frame rails involved.

This explains it, with pictures!

As seen in the videos there, a moderate overlap test will predominantly demonstrate a vehicles ability to absorb impact forces by transferring energy through the vehicle by way of crumple zones, while a small overlap test will do the absorption through deflection and the shearing off of parts like an open wheel racer does.

Seizure Meat fucked around with this message at 03:43 on May 17, 2013

Vigo327
Dec 24, 2012
IF I CONTINUE TO WHINE ABOUT THE PROBATIONS I RECEIVE, REPORT THIS POST SO THAT I CAN BE PROBATED AGAIN
I am so happy that people on this forum understand what happens in a small overlap collision. A lot of people out there in the car forum world seem to be having a hard time grasping what this is testing. If you've worked on cars a fair amount you kind of already know that anything outside the front frame rails is basically tinfoil until you get to the firewall/a-pillar (excepting the suspension which heretofore has not been designed to be part of a front-impact absorption scheme.

That's pretty much standard across all normal, modern cars ive worked on. I do wonder how construction methods are going to change because of this test. In a way, it's nice that front fenders are so easily replaceable vs quarter panels. I wonder if that will change.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

ynotony posted:

The last decade was full of BMW putting out polarizing designs, so bland is definitely not the right word. Every other one was ugly or gorgeous. Personally, I don't need a car to be one of the more stylish on the road for me to buy it. If it is as good as the m235i, all it has to do is look decent. I'm not sure if BMW has ever really been known for having super stylish cars. They're traditionally pretty conservative, with a few exceptions. Also the 2 series is aimed at young enthusiasts, not status seekers.

I've never heard of anyone complain about a Kia, which to me means they're either perfect or bland... and they definitely aren't perfect. Don't confuse flare for style.

Compare a 2003, 2008, and 2013 3 series. Maybe you're thinking of Audi.

'05 was the last beautiful year for BMW IMO. After that, they've just kinda been 'meh' to me. Aside from a slight re-design around 2012, they all kinda look the same (to me anyways).

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice
The F30 looks so much better in person though.

ynotony
Apr 14, 2003

Devyl posted:

'05 was the last beautiful year for BMW IMO. After that, they've just kinda been 'meh' to me. Aside from a slight re-design around 2012, they all kinda look the same (to me anyways).

I agree. But FYI 2006 and 2009 are the same car, just a refresh. In terms of designs there have only been the 99-05, 06-11, 12+.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
Has anybody here actually driven a Leaf? One might actually work as a second car for my girlfriend and I. I think that if you drive a ton in city it might be only slightly more expensive than just getting a subcompact hatchback.

I would be afraid of their long-term reliability and probably would lease one under one of the big incentive things going on. There are also used 2011 Leafs available locally, but the independent used car dealers are asking more for a used model than a new one costs from Nissan. I think they might have gotten shafted when the MSRP on them dropped $7k for 2013.

Twerk from Home fucked around with this message at 17:33 on May 22, 2013

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

We had an electric car thread but I can't find it on my phone, someone in there will be able to help you if you can find it.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
The EV Thread

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

http://theage.drive.com.au/motor-news/ford-announcement-plant-shutdown-mooted-20130523-2k22c.html

Looks like Ford Australia will be shutting down local production. If that happens, that will only leave Toyota and Holden having Australian assembly plants.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

KozmoNaut posted:

Were the 504, 505, 405, 306 and 406 ever particularly interesting or attention-getting?

Having owned a 104 SR, a 505 Turbo, a 405 Mi16 and a 306 Gti6, I demand an immediate retraction and an apology. Sir. :mad:

The 405 Break GR and the 305 GL was admittedly not the most inspiring cars I've owned, though.

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta

You Am I posted:

http://theage.drive.com.au/motor-news/ford-announcement-plant-shutdown-mooted-20130523-2k22c.html

Looks like Ford Australia will be shutting down local production. If that happens, that will only leave Toyota and Holden having Australian assembly plants.

Will that mean the end of the Falcon and Territory then? :ohdear:

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Left Ventricle posted:

Will that mean the end of the Falcon and Territory then? :ohdear:

Ford Australia have said both nameplates will be discontinued when production stops. Which means Ford will stick with the Mondeo for the mid/large size sedan market.

Shin-chan
Aug 1, 2008

To be a man you must have honor...
...honor and a penis!
Automakers back EU-US trade deal

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20130520/AUTO01/305200016/1148/auto01/Automakers-back-EU-US-trade-deal

Detroit News posted:

Washington Automakers support a proposed free trade deal between the United States and European Union, and want auto safety regulations harmonized on both sides of the Atlantic.

I'd hope that not only could this lead to some of the more fuel efficient smaller diesel based power trains coming here, but also some of the more exotic cars that we're "not allowed" to have because of the cost to develop for two different safety standards. More wagons anyone?

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
The EU is going to implement similar emissions restrictions as what's hampering diesel adoption here in the US, so I think it's more likely that diesels go away in passenger cars worldwide.

Crash test standardization would be great, though.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

The EU is going to implement similar emissions restrictions as what's hampering diesel adoption here in the US, so I think it's more likely that diesels go away in passenger cars worldwide.

We're getting more diesels than ever here in the US though.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Shin-chan posted:

Automakers back EU-US trade deal

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20130520/AUTO01/305200016/1148/auto01/Automakers-back-EU-US-trade-deal

I'd hope that not only could this lead to some of the more fuel efficient smaller diesel based power trains coming here, but also some of the more exotic cars that we're "not allowed" to have because of the cost to develop for two different safety standards. More wagons anyone?

I've long wondered why auto makers weren't clamoring to harmonize the standards between the EU and the US so I'm glad to see they are pushing for this.

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

More drunk than a barrel of monkeys

BeastOfExmoor posted:

I've long wondered why auto makers weren't clamoring to harmonize the standards between the EU and the US so I'm glad to see they are pushing for this.
From various insiders I've heard is was the Big 3, Ford in particular, who lobbied to keep the separate standards. The Big 3 did it for cost reasons because things like multi-element amber/red taillights and headlights with good cutoff patterns were deemed too expensive. The Big 3 have since turned around and (finally) realized the cost savings of international-level standardization in engineering and production.

The only companies I remember pushing for standardization back in the day were Mercedes and Audi, who pushed for things like radial tires and unified lighting standards, respectively.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
maybe we can get some cool euro front license plates too instead of the big square ones that look terrible and don't fit on anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

Maybe we can finally stop dreaming about all the sweet cars that Europe gets that we don't get here in 'Merica. :clint: