Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
I love my volvo wagon, thanks a lot Ford.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
Isn't the crazy recent buyout stuff between VW and Porsche just a crazy plan by Ferdinand Piech to take the whole thing private.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
My only problem with the new Fiat/Chrysler so far is they refuse to bring out a Dart with a hatch :(

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Mighty Horse posted:

Can't really blame them, as the costs to develop vs. potential sales aren't really there. There is a vocal group of people on the internet who want them, but the bulk of the country doesn't.

Same thing with Wagons. I love them, many others do, sad fact is the public wont buy them in enough quantities to justify the cost of R/D.

Or great example...Look at the Pontiac G8. The exact car so many of us were screaming for. Possibly the best car GM had made in decades, and they barely sold any.

Chrysler is still in its recovery period. I was shocked to hear they green-lighted a new Viper. We are getting an SRT Dart...Give them a few more years of success before they start trying the wacky stuff again.

I don't want a wagon, just a hatch back. Which would have really cost them less money based on the Giulietta the Dart's built off of.

Plus you can't say people don't like hatchs with the Focus/Fesita/Versa/Accent hatch all outselling their sedan rivals.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Samu posted:

Not really a new car but I drove a Fiat 500 Abarth today after work and I'm absolutely in love with the thing. It's a little turbocharged go kart, and I love the sheer ridiculousness of the car itself. It's like one of the little woodland creatures in South Park. It looks harmless and cute but it has guts for such a small car.

The only problem I have is trying to find one for a decent price. I could justify spending $24 000, but all the dealerships here only have models that are fully decked out and selling for $30 000. I don't want the painted wheels, racing stripes, leather seats, sunroof ect. All I want for options is Sat Nav and A/C. But since all the dealerships only have one in stock, of course it has all the options. It's a shame too because I have never had so much fun driving a car since I first drove my dad's old M3, and it should be in my price range but there just aren't any in town.

stop trying to get me to buy one, I pretend it doesn't exist so I won't.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
At some point in the future Americans are going to have to suck it up and accept a city car, given most never go more then 60 miles from home on any given day.

I mean the Hyundai Accent last model hatchback moved a ton of metal. The Spark may still cost too much, but the time is coming when a city car will show up cheap.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Powershift posted:

You could easily get a last gen accent hatchback here for about 10 grand even. That made it about $3,000 cheaper than the next cheapest new car. I would expect the nissan versa, as terrible as it is, to take it's place, simply because it starts at $10,999. Not because it's good and not because it's small, but because it's the cheapest new car you can buy.

Looking at "city cars" in the US right now. the smart car is $1,500 more and completely impractical, the fiat 500 is $4,500 more, the scion iq is a full $5,000 more,

You have clearly never drive a Nissan Verse, which while a boring drive may be the best small car you can buy today. It's insanely roomy in the inside, a fairly decent place to be a passenger and gets decent gas mileage. It's honestly better then my shitbox impala or my wife's Equinox.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
The best thing about that Panda is that the next generation is coming to Canada so hopefully that will too.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

grover posted:

Holy crap that looks nice. How much is it going to cost, though?

A lot, and the people that can afford them will never use them like that.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
The center-mounted speedo is the only reason I don't own a Mini. gently caress cars that do that stupid poo poo.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

NOTinuyasha posted:

So has anyone here actually driven the Chevy Spark? My dad was getting a recall done on his Z06 and test drove a Spark to pass the time and thought it was the best thing ever. Initial sales are impressive for what it's worth, 6300 in the first three months. I've read some reviews but nothing really seems to get to the point.

I'm kind of in a toss up between the Spark and whatever they call the Panda when it shows up in Canada in a few months. The only downside for the Spark is that it can't break the 40mpg mark.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Bovril Delight posted:

Apparently BMW is set to release a score of diesels over the next few years. Next year is a 3 series sedan and a 3 series sportwagen, both presumably with the 2.0L 180hp/280tq turbo diesel BMW has. A 5 series, 7 series, X3 and X5 all eventually follow.

If this turns out to be the case, I can only hope they release the 3 series with a manual option. I know the previous 335d was only automatic due to BMW saying the manual couldn't handle the torque.

Transport Canada did just finish testing 118d's and sold them off (for export only) now they have a bunch of Citron's and VW bluemotions in there lab.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

How many people have seen a SSC in public? I have seen a lot of weird rear end cars running around but never one of these.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Friar Zucchini posted:

Pricing released for new Nissan hatch: starts at $14,780 (cheaper than pretty much every subcompact hatchback except the Kia Rio, including the previous-gen Versa hatchback) with roll-up windows and manual locks, but includes the proper number of pedals. For some reason the clutch pedal has been omitted on all but the base model.

Here, read this

That looks horrible. The old Versa was an ok car and it looks like they took it and left it out in the sun for like a month till it melted.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Cakefool posted:

In a cold climate you can access the trunk of a sedan without losing all the heat from the passenger cabin.

That doesn't explain Canada's love of hatchbacks. It's more American's are stupid and weird when it comes to cars.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

PeterWeller posted:

The Civic is a fantastic car for most people's needs. It's safe, economical, and reliable. It has a roomy and comfortable interior with great sight lines, tons of storage cubbies, and big cup holders. And the goofy, two tiered IP puts the only two gauges most drivers care about--speedometer and fuel level--right in the driver's sight line. It may not handle as well as a Focus, 3, or 90s Civic, but it doesn't wallow around like the Corolla or shudder and bounce like the Elantra. Honda's stellar reputation doesn't hurt matters.

The Mazda 3 is the true successor to the great Civics of the 90s in terms of combining value and fun, especially if these rumors about the next MS3 having a high revving NA motor instead of the current turbo setup are true (rumors I take with a dry seabed of salt). But Mazda's reputation isn't as good as Honda's, and the Civic is still great, just in different ways.

The problem with a Mazda 3 is they rust like an 70's Honda Civic. Especially in Canada which is why you are more likely to see a 90's Civic on the road here then an early gen. 3.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Tacier posted:

I never understood what people could possibly be doing to these rental cars that's so bad. Is it mostly just abuse of the interior, because I don't see how the average person could cause undue wear on the drivetrain components.

I"m pretty sure there was a goon that took a Corolla off-roading in Alaska because it was rented.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Fucknag posted:

Well it doesn't help when dipshits drive 20 all the way down the onramp, so you need that power to accelerate to highway speed and get around them before the merge lane ends after 300 feet. :argh:

This, I want to be touching 100km/h by the time I hit the end of the onramp.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

blk posted:

I was going to post this in stupid questions, but since the news thread is a pseudo-industry thread, I thought I might get a better answer here. My wife asked me how much it costs a manufacturer to make a volume compact in relation to its retail price. Obviously the answer would be different for different kinds of cars, so just keeping the question to the Civics and Corollas and maybe Focii and Darts and Cruzes of the world. I have no idea, but I'm guessing the margins are pretty slim.

This information is massively out of date but around 2002 Honda made about 1300 bucks per base Civic off the line. That said by 2008 Honda had so much inventory and was losing so much money per car they idea lines 2 days a week.

As far as my knowledge goes they either make less then 1500 per car or they lose money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
So Mazda is crazy with the pricing of the new 3 right, or is it just me?