Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus

mobby_6kl posted:

I think it was Actually Good, at least for an affordable sedan.

I used to like reading those for random cars so I was curious what they said about the Kizashi. Seems pretty universally positive:
https://www.edmunds.com/suzuki/kizashi/2010/long-term-road-test/

Suzuki is still in Europe but the Kizashi didn't do too great sadly, I might've seen a handful in the wild and there are only about 40 for sale in Germany. The prices are around 10 grand though so that seems pretty high for 10 year old cars.

I think the only engine was a big N/A 2.4 litre petrol. That, along with it being sedan only, made it pretty unsellable in most of Europe, and i would think they knew it. Even the premium German cars of that size would rarely have more than a 1.6-2.0 litre engine. They gambled on strong US sales and lost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus

Guinness posted:

I'm kind of surprised this market doesn't remotely exist under like $50-60k, except for maybe the CX-5 turbo.

If CUVs are the new sedans someone please at least give us something with a shred of power or character. Way too many 3500 pound vehicles with horsepower figures starting with "1". No one is even trying.

What non-premium performance sedans still exist? The Camry V6 is still around but apparently sells like poo poo. I'd argue the whole blue collar performance market has shrunk. In the US its also the whole "I could have a Mustang for that kind of money" argument.

Speaking of the Mustang, it seems like the Ecoboost turbo 4 versions has been pulled from most European countries configurators, leaving the GT. Seems strange to me, but maybe those who want a Mustang is willing to pay for the full V8 experience.

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus

SlowBloke posted:

Interior and exterior designs makes me think more geely than merc, i don't know why designers think "shiny black plastic" equals luxury.

You mean this Geely? I see more Audi in it myself, especially the interior. Not that I think it directly copies anything. The C-class ain't a Phantom. There is going to be plastic, but they probably could have avoided piano black.

I quite like the more rounded shape of the newer Mercedes. When everyone is doing "signature" sharp door line creases it isn't very distinctive any more.

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus
The current Ranger was engineered and designed by Ford Australia. Its design and target cost doesn't take into consideration a bigger pickup above it in the lineup.

Humbug fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Mar 17, 2021

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus
That's pretty much it. I belive the Ranger the best selling vehicle in Australia along with the Hilux. It's very popular in other places too. It's the same with pretty much any hatchback or wagon in the US. Designed for someplace else, but doesn't hurt to try to sell it.

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus

KillHour posted:

It does if it costs more to federalize than you'll make off it. It's HARD to get the government to let you sell a car in the US.

That's why many cars wont make the jump, but a few do. I'm thinking cars like the Buick TourX, VW Golf, Ford Fiesta etc. Performance in the NA market was probably not considered at all when they designed them, but they all were sold there for a period of time.

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus

KillHour posted:

Sure. They exist, but it's not fair to say it doesn't hurt to try. Lots of cars were flops here and ended up costing their manufacturer a poo poo ton.

Fair enough. Ford and the others mentioned thought it worth the risk of introducing the models might be better wording on my part. The point was that not all cars sold in the US are necessarily designed with the US market in mind.

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus
Its also the same weight as a Cayman. It's fine. Looks pretty cool to me

Look at the Alfa Romeo 4C and Renault/Alpine A110 sales, which are two cars that went the no compromise lightweight route. They sold less than 5000 4Cs in Europe across the entire 7 year run. The A110 is better with 5700 in 3 years but that is still less than Cayman/Boxer sales in a single year. Ain't no money in light weight.
https://carsalesbase.com/european-sales-2020-exotic-sports-cars/

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus
While the Yep is cute, it is a city car. I dont think awd is necessary for a cheap city runabout.
It should probably also be noted that it has a 62mph top speed and that the range is using the Chinese standard. Reduce it by at least 35% to compare it to epa range standards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus

Neo_Crimson posted:

Isn't this more due to protectionist policies than anything Honda is or is not doing?

Honda hasn't cared for/understood Europe for like 20 years now. They where late to the diesel game when that was all the rage, and they are late with lackluster electric offerings now. They apparently did something to piss off their entire dealer network here in Norway, so they are only sold through gray market dealers. Not a great look when you are trying to sell a premium lifestyle car (The e). The Honda name doesn't really hold any cashet being mostly snowblowers and lawnmowers around here. They have been outsold by Hyundai in Europe since like 2001.

The Honda e has ceased production and it's Chinese made and designed replacement, the e:NY1, has been mostly panned.
https://www.topgear.com/car-reviews/honda/eny1