Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

bull3964 posted:

Combine that with automatic headlights and things get even more confusing. Garages often turn automatic headlights off when they are working on a car to keep from blinding themselves.

My old Soul had lights that were a simple physical knob: turn it into the "on" position, and if the car is on, the lights are on. I did this once and never had to think about it again.

My newer Bronco Sport has a ~fancy digital knob~ that will reset itself to "auto-detect" every time I start the car, meaning I have to manually switch it to "on" if it's any brighter than full-on night.

:argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

kill me now posted:

Well unfortunately cans of smashed up dog poo poo sell, no matter how angry it makes internet commenters

https://www.bmwblog.com/2024/01/04/...rs%20in%202023.

lol at the framing of this article. "Customers bought this car that is a composite of thousands of features... must have been BECAUSE of this one feature!"

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Ioniq
Lyriq
Evoque
Qashqai

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Sab669 posted:

I think Audi does it best.

A# for sedans
Q# for SUVs.

BMW is close but their numbering system isn't the most obvious to normies, other than "Bigger = Better". Add an X for SUVs.

Mercs letter choices are dumb though.

If there as an i at the front of a BMW name, it is an EV. But if there is an i at the END of a BMW name, that means it is gas-powered. :psyduck:

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Ah, the simplicity of German engineering: it just takes 1100 words, almost half of them in the "exceptions" section, to explain what your names (don't) mean.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Saukkis posted:

BMW's nomenclature may be confusing and full of exceptions, but at least you can make an educated guess what a new one means after you have seen a bunch of them. In contrast the Ford names, Elevator, Exploder, Expander, those are all meaningless. They don't tell you at all what kind of vehicle it could be or where it falls in the lineup.

What, you're telling me you can't decode Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat Redeye Widebody Jailbreak?

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

What's the car equivalent?

Ariya Evolve e-4ORCE

Muscle Tracer fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Apr 4, 2024

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Hyundai as a name at least means something, if not in English. Chery and Exeed feel all the weirder because they are clearly English-inspired, but with weird mispelings evocative of, like, Tumblr.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

what about like... acura. or camry

feel like people really need to look a bit inward about why they think that this particular iteration of Strange Names is bad

they've at least gone whole hog into making something up entirely, a time-honored tradition. spelling things wrong on purpose has a much more "local HVAC repair guy" vibe, or "insufferably twee 2010s internet" vibe.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

boys it literally is exactly the same, Chery is a romanization of their name.

edit: i suspect a bunch of you would be sitting around saying some pretty dreadful poo poo about the Japanese brands when they came to the US

I'd say they were using made-up words, and/or misspelling words on purpose. What's dreadful there? What else is there to say about "Exeed"?

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Sab669 posted:

Something about the name "Allstreet" just sounds so pathetic to me.

Well you they have other cars with "allroad" in the name, and this one is different.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Audi allalley
Audi someroads