Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I'm not sure if I like it yet or not, but, news today on the Nissan Leaf:

NYT

quote:

Nissan Leaf Electric Car Priced at $32,780
By JIM MOTAVALLI
The 2011 Nissan Leaf will go on sale at the end of the year. The 2011 Nissan Leaf will go on sale at the end of the year.

The 2011 Nissan Leaf battery electric car, which will go on sale in the United States in December, will have a manufacturers suggested retail price of $32,780, a Nissan spokesman, Mark Perry, said Tuesday morning. Nissan prefers to describe the price as $25,280 inclusive of a $7,500 federal income tax credit.

According to Mr. Perry, the standard SV trim level will include many options, including a navigation system, automatic temperature control, an audio system with satellite radio and remote control features that will allow the car to be both preheated and precooled while connected to a wall outlet.

For $940, customers can move up to SL trim, which includes a rearview camera, foglights and a spoiler-mounted solar panel. The Leaf can also be leased. Customers can put $1,999 down and pay $349 a month, Mr. Perry said. The Leaf home charger (called “a charging dock” and built and installed by Nissan partner AeroVironment) will be sold for $2,200, or leased for $30 a month. Consumers can also get a federal tax credit for installing a charger, equal to 50 percent of the total cost up to $2,000.

Nissan said it has a list of 85,000 “hand raisers” who have indicated an interest in the car. On April 20, these people will be offered a chance to move to reservation status, which involves paying a refundable $99 reservation fee. Reservations trigger a visit from a certified electrician, who will make a written estimate of what it will cost to install a charging dock.

Delivery of the cars will begin in 20 launch markets (including Washington State, Oregon, California, Arizona, Tennessee, Texas, Florida, North Carolina and Massachusetts). By the end of 2011, Nissan expects the car to be available nationwide.

I dunno. It's a little bug-eyed, not the most attractive car. But it's cool to see purchaseable, production electric cars from major manufacturers, and the tax rebates makes it reasonably affordable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Weinertron posted:

Does it drive and feel like an econobox? If so, then this $25,000 car costs $10,000 more than a comparable new economy car, and assuming 30mpg and $3/gal that $10,000 can buy enough gas to go 100,000 miles.

Yeah, I'm not going to buy one. Not this one, anyway.

Prices for electric cars will drop when volume blah blah you get the idea. Maybe in 15 years I can buy something with the looks and performance of a Tesla Roadster, but with better battery life and shorter charge-time, for $30k. Anything that brings that day closer is a good thing.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Good lord.

Its headlights have crawled back onto the hood. And its fog lights have become headlights. And... it's spawned new little foglights where they're supposed to be, too!

The rest of the design is okay I guess, not horrible, but the headlight thing is just hosed up.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

el topo posted:

That's Chrysler innovating. They're shipping that "Man Van" out with a new scent they've perfected, it's called "middle aged desperation".

So, it smells just like a porsche, then? :laugh:

In all seriousness, though, I think it's a good marketing idea. Lots of married men with big families should buy a minivan, but insist on an SUV instead, entirely for image reasons. A minivan with more 'aggressive' styling might get a few of those customers for Dodge.

It absolutely should not supplant many other desperately needed improvements at Dodge, of course, but it must be a pretty low-cost low-effort thing to do, and if it garners a couple percentage points more of the minivan market, it's worth it.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

So, Tesla Motors had their IPO today, and it was Wildly Successful, raising $226 Million with shares starting at $17. The market immediately bid them up to over $22, on a day when the overall US market was down hard.

This matters because it indicates that a lot of investors still think Tesla has a good shot, despite GM and Nissan both releasing all-electric cars this year which will have vastly higher production numbers (and might actually be profitable to sell for those companies).

With $226M, Tesla should have enough cash to operate at their current rates of loss for at least a couple more years, too, which is critical since they need to get the Model S out in 2012 to meet the terms of its government loan.

Toyota is among those investing, and it seems that NUMMI is going to re-open as a Tesla/Toyota partnership factory (which will be a very nice shot in the arm to Fremont, CA, although financially it's not the smartest place to build cars).

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Jun 29, 2010

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I learned how to drive when I was about 18, but I was living in San Francisco, where parking is scarce, cars are expensive, gas is expensive, and (most of all) insurance for an under-25 male is incredibly, ridiculously expensive. And MUNI is (or was, at the time) pretty reasonable.

So I didn't get my license until I was 25, and only after I started having to commute all the way out to Hayward. I did the MUNI to BART to a shuttle to work thing for a few months but it was taking nearly 2 hours each way. Driving brought it down to less than an hour, and (including a bridge toll, gas, and maintenance on the car) cost the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

It's possible someone might buy an electric car not out of an attempt to make the most economic choice vis-a-vis gas consumption versus the cost of electricity vs. the extra price of the car over a fuel-efficient non-electric car in the same category and with similar reliability and etc. etc., but because they view it as a direction in automotive technology that they want to support or promote, or because they want to "reduce America's dependence on Foreign Oil," or because they think electric cars are Super Cool.

I don't know if a full-electric Smart makes sense in that respect, but it's a factor one shouldn't totally ignore. It's OK to like cars for reasons outside their practicality and cost effectiveness. AI wouldn't be here if it wasn't.