Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Hermansen posted:

By the way, would anyone be able to layer both the sideviews of the two cars on top of each other? I want to see how similar they really are..

To me, it looks more similar to a Mini Cooper or ever the Mini Coupe concept.

Other news:
GQ ranks the 10 most stylin cars per decade:
http://www.gq.com/cars-gear/cars/201001/most-stylish-cars-in-history
For the most part I agree with the list, until the 2000s. Need some distance before I can judge some of the cars of the present.

Hennessey hopped up the Raptor to produce an even more ridiculous Velociraptor (:downsrim:):
http://jalopnik.com/5468801/hennessey-velociraptor-500-first-drive
Well at least you're honest, John:

John Hennessey posted:

We make fast cars faster. In this case, we made a slow truck faster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

A slightly amusing review of the Crosstour:
http://www.speedsportlife.com/2010/02/24/lord-byron-over-the-river-and-through-the-cones-the-2010-honda-accord-crosstour/

What's really amusing is the 7 drivers who were slower than this guy at an autocross:

Maybe can cut the VW Fox some slack, but the other cars? :cmon:

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Preoptopus posted:

No way in gently caress would they pass US laws.
They could try the same manufacturing hardship loophole that Lotus uses.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

frozenphil posted:

Add to this that the Focus RS will probably be coming to America. I bet they'll just call it the SVT here since the RS badge is fairly meaningless in America while most people know that SVT is Ford's performance department.

Meh. The RS is awesome but (and obviously it's for a different audience) the Mustang GT is just something I can't turn down at that price range. I predict at least 95% of the people on the Focus forums who've promised to cut off their balls to finance one will be silent when the car finally arrives in America.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

If yall hadn't heard, the Fiat 500 is coming to America:
http://www.wired.com/autopia/2010/02/hallelujah-the-fiat-500-is-coming/
Hopefully it will be much cheaper than the Mini (so that it can sell) and still be profitable for Fiat/Chrysler.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

frozenphil posted:

I understand that people wanting a turbo 4 cylinder hatchback with all wheel drive aren't going to cross shop a Mustang, but you know Ford's bean counters don't understand that.

It's got a Volvo I-5 in it, but if they want to knock it down to some turbo'ed I-4 that only does 250hp, I guess that'd be better than nothing.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Hermansen posted:

And here I was, believing that BMW thought FWD was, in fact, the devil..
It will be a sad day, when it comes..

I'm not sure even a majority of BMW owners are appreciating the RWD nature of their cars. It's funny that the first wave of 'FWD is luxury' failed, but we'll see what happens this second time.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

InitialDave posted:

They pull the motherfucking RS500 designation out of storage to go on a motherfucking FWD Focus. I don't give a poo poo how quick it is, that's sacrilege.

I dunno why they couldn't just call it the RS350.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Itzena posted:

You think that's bug-eyed? Wait until you see the Juke:

I'm cool with that. As bizarre as the Vehicross, which had an equally pinched tumblehome.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Dog Paddle posted:

The vehicross is a lot cooler than that horrible thing's front end. I thought the headlights were enormous fog lights, then I realized. It's just ugly. Awesome on Nissan for trying different designs, but I think they can do better than that.

I don't really care how they're splitting up the lights -- the bizarreness just works for me. It reminds me a bit of the Kia Soul, maybe because of the C-pillar.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I dunno, the Lexus does more of a bitchin drift:
http://money.cnn.com/video/news/2010/04/13/n_toyota_lexus_gx_460_suv_skid.cnnmoney/

e: this sort of logic is also infuriating and sad:
"In real-world driving, lift-off oversteer could occur when a driver enters a highway’s exit ramp or drives through a sweeping turn and encounters an unexpected obstacle or suddenly finds that the turn is too tight for the vehicle’s speed. A natural impulse is to quickly lift off the accelerator pedal. If that were to happen in the GX, the rear could slide around far enough that a wheel could strike a curb or slide off the pavement."

kimbo305 fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Apr 13, 2010

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

orange lime posted:

You didn't think they'd actually keep the oxcart suspension, did you?

It's not as demanding a class, but they do for Speed and World Challenge.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Not news exactly, but I've seen the Transit Connect a lot around Boston. I'm glad it's been popular with people who need small work vans.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

InitialDave posted:

No matter who the manufacturer is, I get a little irritated with the whole "It's a lightweight special, yeah. We stuck a few extra holes in it, made some bits out of carbon fibre and would appreciate you giving us another twenty/thirty grand for the privilege. Don't worry, it's still got a stereo/aircon/traction control/leather/electric windows".

The one car that really put its money where its mouth is is the Megane R26.R. They pulled almost all the stops on that one except A/C.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

It looks like Infiniti's headlight suppliers went, "Oh you want us to make some lamps for a big butch SUV? What if we just tweak what we give you for your other cars just a bit? That good?"

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

It's signs that the public image pendulum is swinging away from the Japanese masters.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

dissss posted:

Also I don't see how its fair to compare a Fiesta to a Civic.

It's conceivable that a person might look at the Fiesta, the Fit, and the Civic when deciding on a car. Though the Civic would have to be a base model. I think the article was just saying that the Fiesta is shaping up to be a car that people want, while Honda fears the new Civic won't have that pull.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

If anything, I'd say this is a huge positive for Honda (delaying the new Civic) because it shows that they're actually taking their problems seriously rather than rolling out something good-but-not-great.
It could be a good sign, but look at what they poo poo out with the CR-Z. They had plenty of time to make that something compelling -- fun to drive or good fuel economy, but it seems to be terrible at both.
Obviously the pipeline for designing a new car is very long, but they had very clear goals at the outset and still turned out something quite milquetoast.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

dissss posted:

The newest Fiesta has been available for some time here and its hardly kicking rear end in that segment. Yes its a great little car, but its not packaged nearly as well as a Jazz/Fit, doesn't have the combination of cutesy looks and cheap prices of the Suzuki Swift nor the perceived build quality and fancy gearbox of the newer VW Polos.

We don't even get the Swift or Polo here, so it only has to outshine the mediocre subcompacts here, and the Fit.
Are the 2nd gen Fits selling as well as the first gen in the US?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Throatwarbler posted:

Actually, it will have the fancy gearbox. Fancier than the VWs, even. The first batch out of the gate didn't. The 6 speed DSG will give it a significant fuel economy advantage over the Fit and Yaris.

It's not quite as feature fancy because it won't offer paddle shifting. Jack Baruth said he didn't feel like it was missing the paddles, though.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

frozenphil posted:

With Mulally wanting to unify Ford's global brands and the base Mustang making 300hp, I don't see a good reason to not bring the RS to the US anymore.

Yeah. I don't know if the Focus RS would ever have cannibalized Mustang sales, but at least the 412 underrated hp is a helpful differentiator now.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Left Ventricle posted:

Will it still have the turbo five now that Volvo's been sold off?

I assume Ford put in enough development on that motor to call it their own. I'm not familiar with the terms of the IP aspect of the sale to Geely.

e: 2 days late, but I hate typos.

kimbo305 fucked around with this message at 21:14 on May 29, 2010

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

rscott posted:

the rear end end of that subbie looks like a saturn ion from that angle

The Sonata or the Legacy? The Legacy's rear is barely visible.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

rscott posted:

the legacy from the midline back in that photo looks strikingly like an ion sedan:

Sedans have gotten pretty generic. I think the Legacy is much more Nissan looking:

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Really good news!:
http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/review-20102011-renault-logan-expression-1-0-16v-brazilian/
Seriously though, I had no idea there was a 1.0L limit in Brazil.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iP_9GC7CORk
Mercedes let Bild try out the electric SLS prototype.
Can anyone transcribe?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Or more recently:

I think the SLS does look very Viperish, but AMG could have turned the bodywork into anything they wanted even starting from the next gen Viper.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

^^^ one thing that bugs me a little is that the NA Fiesta is 200lbs heavier than the Euro one, somehow. How?!

The new Grand Cherokee is good, which is good for Chrysler:
http://www.speedsportlife.com/2010/06/26/2011-grand-cherokee-a-dream-come-true/

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Wankie posted:

Air conditioning unit, longer and heavier bumpers for US Crash standards, bigger standard engine 1.6l vs 1.25l and bigger standard wheels 15" vs 14".

I assume the weight comparison was between models of at least the same motor. Anything else would be unfair. Assuming that, could bumpers and wheel tack on 200 lbs? Heck, even a bigger motor, when the displacement is pretty small, that couldn't be more than 50 lbs, especially if the 1.6 is bored from the same block.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

sanchez posted:

They look nice, I'd forgotten how expensive SUV's can be though. No wonder the automakers ended up relying on them.

I don't know if it can draw away buyers from other luxury SUVs, but it seems to do what Jeep fans would want an SUV to do, so at least Chrysler is really delivering on the Jeep image. Hope it gets Chrysler back to form instead of making GBS threads out Compasses and Nitros.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Brb using my passengers' legs as a crumple zone.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I don't really like the presenter, but it's a decent ad:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=poWNPlLyoNI
I sorta wish the Lambo had gotten the rear loose to turn that corner.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Dr JonboyG posted:

But they know they can fit Z rated tyres because the XFR and XJR have them! Not that I'm doubting you, but I'd been starting to seriously think about getting a Jag in the next few years and now they can gently caress off.

I know it's a principle thing, but are you really going to track your bigass XF or XJ sedan? I suspect the brakes will cook long before you have a chance to bemoan top speed issues.
I recall you being from the US. If you're storming the autobahn, that'd be different.

oh yeah -- :can:

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

InitialDave posted:

I'd say that the two are (almost) mutually exclusive, though - long, high-speed hauls don't really do much to your brakes, whereas even intensive track use in a road car isn't that likely to see you sitting at extremely high speeds.

That's part of what I'm saying -- on the track in the US is the best shot you have of getting to 120 mph. As an addition, I mentioned that those Jags might not have the brakes to haul down safely from 120 repeatedly.

But yes, I think going past 120 might be reasonable when on the autobahn (and certainly brakes would play a different role there).

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Though tons of details are different (number of doors, wheel wells, steepness of rake, grill), I think it resembles the new Grand Cherokee:

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

snorch posted:

Bodywork is going to be a bitch on that. Fender bender? Enjoy your expensive factory-fresh bumper!

Sorta the point for someone who can afford to rally in a brand new car. If you tear any bodywork, I'm sure the whole piece can be replaced between stages very quickly.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Bill G getting down with EcoMotors:
http://www.autoweek.com/article/20100712/CARNEWS/100719972

Their things is a short but very wide take on a boxer motor, with two pistons per cylinder:

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

This is really good news for Team O'Neil:
http://jalopnik.com/5590246/ford-gives-43-fiestas-to-rally-school-wants-you-to-hoon-them

Their fleet of Mk2 Golfs and Jettas has become more and more expensive to maintain. To get a brand new batch of Fiestas makes the school cheaper to operate and thus easier for students to afford. I had asked the instructors when I was there what would happen in the long run, and they were looking at last-gen Hyundai Accents. Assuming the Fiesta does reasonably well in the US, they should have cheap parts for years to come.
I dunno who put 2 and 2 together, but they should be commended.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

hahaha, even the name is a ripoff.
BMW is called Bao Ma in China, which means...Precious Horse, more literally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I can't help but think that it's lucky that the WRC regs are being downgraded to S2000+. Should make it easier for BMW and Prodrive to develop the car.