Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

PBCrunch posted:

I wonder if there is anything that could be done to make it look any more like a Ferrari.

Throw some red paint on it. It bothers me that the rendering basically kowtows to hellaflushness. I wonder what the actual suspension will look like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

frozenphil posted:

In my eyes, showing off the RS at the Woodward Dream Cruise, of all places, makes a compelling argument for their plans. Check out the people gathered around the RS instead of looking at the new supercharger from Ford on their new 5.0 Mustang.

I love the RS, but it's hard to want over the new Stang from a value standpoint.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

MrSaturn posted:

I feel like I am the only one in AI who is excited about Cehvy's Camaro z28 and the possibility that they will make one with the top chopped off.

550+ Horsepower? Yeah I could get along with that alright.

I really wanted to love the Camaro, but when I got in one, nothing really lived up to the hype. It didn't quite fit into the feel of muscle car that I was hoping for, and I'm not sure it'd be that much more fun with 130+ horses.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I'm just saying it's still a cavernous tank of an interior and not terribly communicative. Things that still gnaw at you even if you can barrel around that much faster.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

kill me now posted:

Power makes a substantial difference on nearly any track that isn't Autocross sized.

Remember when Mini challenged Porsche to a race at Road Atlanta, but it was actually an autocross course in the parking lot? And the 911 still won? That was funny.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Hey, who likes lots of front overhang?:
http://blogs.insideline.com/straightline/2010/10/spy-photos-2012-volkswagen-new-beetle.html

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I could live with the styling for the most part, but I think there's two things wrong:
- the car culture norm of today doesn't allow much market for a true Beetle-like vehicle -- a no-frills, super cheap car.
- that the design is so desperately trying to visually harken back to the original, and yet still failing miserably. That C-pillar is pure style and no function, for example.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

rscott posted:

$25 grand for a "spiritual" successor to the AE86? Toyota, much like BMW has completely lost the plot in regards to what actually made them successful in the first place.

I couldn't find prices for a 1985 Corolla GTS, but I bet it wasn't that much cheaper in real dollars than $25k. Not to mention -- if the FT86 stays RWD and stays lighter than most coupes out there, that really is bringing home the bacon in a market where there's few new cars like it.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

MikeyTsi posted:

It makes sense really, given that Toyota is now all about boring appliances rather than enthusiast cars.

Well the intention is the opposite of that -- it's to inject some life into the lovely Scion brand. Of course what will happen is that it'll hurt the already tiny potential sales of the FT86 even more and put Scion further into the grave.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

CharlesM posted:

I've been wondering, does it have 4 foglights?

I assume the big round lights are the highbeams, and the top lights are the low beams.

I don't mind the split level lights. It looks different which is better than nothing, and maybe a little like an angry insect.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

We'll have to see how much the FT-86 weighs. Power-wise, it's obviously outgunned by both the Genesis and the V6 stang, but maybe it'll be noticeably lighter. I just can't wait for all the guys who've been bemoaning the lack of a light, low powered RWD sports coupe to not buy the thing.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Omegaslast posted:

I dont think anyone can be stupid enough to think that the mustang v6 is ugly and then say in the same breath that the honda civic si is good looking.
Different strokes for different folks. I can totally imagine a person who very much prefers the Si over the new Mustang. I think both look great (well, the Civic sedan is not that great), but there's no accounting for taste.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Coredump posted:

The thing is if they do release a low powered rwd coupe they need to price it accordingly. Not in low $20k range which is what is going to happen.

Depends on their sales targets and how much they want to scale up this initial model. There's no way in the first year that it can touch the sales of the Mustang, so they'll need to recoup some of the costs of developing this new platform. Even if it's RWD, I don't see it being sold for much cheaper than a Scion tC, which Toyota is probably thinking about replacing.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

bahahahahaha way to stick to the corporate design language:

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2010/10/first-look-all-new-2011-mazda-bt-50-global-pickup-truck.html

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

The V6 stang is what, 3500? And packing way more power. I understand that some people will want to a small 2-seater coupe, but if the thing weighs that much, there's a real issue with value. Not from just the stang, either.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

IOwnCalculus posted:

Yeah, but I'm pretty sure the biggest demographic actually buying xBs is the 40-50 year old range.

The average age of the Scion buyer as of a couple years ago was 36. I think for Toyota on the whole it's high 40s. So while there are definitely plenty of old folks buying them, there is a youth component. In fact, the youth component being unable to buy Scions would explain Throatwarbler's data.
So in that sense, it is a mistake or at least ineffective to pigeonhole the FT86 into Scion, given that it would have no more real effect than if it were a Toyota sports car.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

grover posted:

A good part of their target demographic can't even afford new Scions in a good economy, just used, which doesn't really help Toyota's bottom line.

I always assumed it was parents buying kids Scions for college. It didn't seem to target the ricer set hellbent on turboing their Civic someday.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Kind of a pricey way to do 0-60 in 4s, but what about 0-1000m above sea level times?
http://jalopnik.com/5674887/subaru+powered-jesus+supporting-flying-car-gets-faa-approval

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Ford and M-Sport are putting out a rally kit for the Fiesta. Team O'Neil will be the only licensed dealer of it.

The size of those lightweight doorcard replacements look like they're for a 3 door hatch, not the 5-door that we get. Can anyone confirm/deny? mobby_6kl, you up for a graphical analysis?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Simkin posted:

Any idea what that sort of thing would cost?

If I had to guess, I'd say $6,000 to $8,000. Depending on what scale Ford and M-Sport want to make the kits. The most expensive items would be the tranny and the seats.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Of course I might try to have a project car or something stupid like that, but I don't think that quite counts.

If you don't have a good garage situation, yes, that is very stupid. I should know, having tried to maintain a rally car with just an off-street parking spot. Also, driving a nice stiff car around these bullshit roads is not fun at all.

I know it's come up before, but maybe the Boston folks should go togue somewhere out of the city.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Doesn't look like they treated the roofline or the rear window as much as the concept renderings showed it would. I'd really like to see how it all works out from other angles.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

travisray2004 posted:

wtf is the point?

I'm sure somebody will want to drop the top and incite jealousy in the hearts of their Cayenne-having neighbors.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Slothophile posted:

You know if you lower it by a foot it's not a bad looking car

It reminded me of the Renault Wind concept:

If you throw in the 370Z cabrio, you have a 3 model lineup that share a certain design.

The production Wind doesn't look like that, though:
http://imgur.com/phIjs.jpg

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

grover posted:

How does this extend the versatility of the Murano?

I already said, it gives you new ways to be a big prat.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Autism Sundae posted:

The new turbo Buick/Opel looks pretty loving awesome.

http://www.insideline.com/buick/regal/2012/2012-buick-regal-gs-first-look.html

It looks a beaut, but I wonder how price/performance will work out against its competitors. The VXR didn't fare that well against an S4 on that 5th Gear review. And I'm honestly wondering how many people are aching to buy a manual tranny Buick right now. 2000? 5000?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

travisray2004 posted:

Goddamn, why isn't this car AWD?!?

Why is AWD the magic bullet that makes handling awesome again?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

travisray2004 posted:

It's not, but on sporty mid-size sedan that weighs almost 4k, it'd be nice.

I guess, but FWD is good enough in 99% of cases. In the new 9-5, the AWD tacks on something like 400 lbs. That's extreme, but it sets a car even further back in terms of handling and ride.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

ok, found the right thread this time.
How many years ago was :rice: acceptable? And only now Lexus thinks to try to style cars that way.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/future-cars/lexus-f-troop

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

The Third Man posted:

I think the point is the 350k LFA isn't really any more car than a 180k 458 Italia.

It's more exclusive, which has a certain value for the customers who got it.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

japtor posted:

If I ever see an LFA I'm sure the driver will be all :smug: knowing how few there are.

:smug: "oh what, this ol Toyota? Yeah, just got it, no big deal"
*peels out while bouncing the 9k limit*

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Raluek posted:

Yeah, AI isn't exactly about "need"

If the 'want' is better handling and performance, I'm not sure strapping on the 300lb parts bin AWD system into a car necessarily makes it more desirable as a driver's car. Cynically, they engineer just enough of an AWD system to be able to call it that and price it to get better margins on the car.

Though it's a bigger car, the new 9-5 does represent some of GM's latest serious efforts, and in that car, the AWD has not significantly boosted the 9-5's handling. In fact, some noted the FWD car had better feel to it.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

bull3964 posted:

Hell, I was having trouble driving my parents 125hp Automatic Vibe in the rain when I borrowed it since I'm used to more traction than I could ever want when pulling out places. Until you drive it day to day for a long basis, it's hard to realize all the situations where you take the traction for granted.

This is good and bad. It's good that people can get a car that helps them get around in all conditions. It's bad that it takes away from the caution and planning one should have in less than ideal conditions.

dissss posted:

Sure 4wd isn't a magic bullet but compare a high power FWD like a Mazdaspeed3 or Focus XR5 to a high powered 4wd like a WRX and see which is more usable.

Round a track maybe. On a typical winding road with a less than perfect surface things are quite different.

Have you driven both and made your own judgement?

I've driven an MS3 and had a supercharged Focus and yes, both have noticeable torque steer when you get on it. It's a little hazard of the car just like the rear of a powerful RWD car can get loose on you when you stomp on it. Under normal driving conditions, it is a complete non-issue, same as being able to break loose the rear in the RWD car. There's not really a question a car with torque steer is still completely useable in real life or on the track. Not that anyone who'd buy one is taking their new Regal to the track.

quote:

Saab really isn't know for making good handling vehicles full stop, just because theirs suck that doesn't mean all 4wd does.

Saab's influence on the nature of the car is limited by their freedom to work with GM platform and components. The Regal would be lucky to get a system as nice as the Haldex XWD. Which reinforces my point -- wishing for AWD on that car isn't going to get you what you want.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

bull3964 posted:

You could say the same thing about anything that increases a car's performance. A better handling car lets you go faster though turns with a larger safety envelope, better brakes allow you to stop quicker with a larger safety envelope, the list goes on.
Not necessarily. Super brakes and 500hp don't necessarily cause a driver to feel invincible and disconnect from the road, while a lot of the new nanny techs definitely do. Lane departure detection, auto-brake radar, so many different ways to have the car drive for you. I'll be the first to admit that a good AWD on loose surfaces is incredible, but I am wary that it makes a poorly educated driver forget what a car is and isn't capable of.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

bull3964 posted:

Poorly educated drivers don't suddenly get educated when those aids are taken away though. They just crash more often, quite possibly into you.

New cars are gonna be new cars, but I'd sure as well wish we educated new drivers more. Ship them to Finland.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

aparmenideanmonad posted:

I get it, AWD isn't some sort of magic device that can turn any FWD car into a raging mass of performance, but please don't pretend like it's solely the product of some marketing scheme on the part of companies like Subaru/Audi (my previous car was a Coupe Quattro). I absolutely hate having to drive my GF's FWD Jetta (also with snow tires) when the weather gets lovely.
You drove a WRX and a quattro, two of the most well designed and developed AWD systems out there. Of course Subaru and Audi deserve to tout them and market their superiority. But when Honda slaps a bullshit 10% max rear bias system on the CRV to claim "AWD handling and security," it is absolutely a cash-in on the goodwill garnered by those good AWD models. That car won't get you through the same weather as a Subaru, and it might be equaled by a CRV without AWD. I would say that's smart marketing on Honda (and other manufacturers with poorly developed AWD systems).

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I posted a link up in the Deals subforum, but this is really compelling, if you need to buy a new car, today or tomorrow:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3373824

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

dissss posted:

You should look at the Fiesta too, better engine and transmission same basic chassis

Everyone who's reviewed the American Fiesta says it feels much deader than the 2, unfortunately. They managed to tack 200lbs onto it from the Euro model.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Hold on Hyundai, I don't think some people are done reeling from the Juke yet:
http://jalopnik.com/5728965/hyundai-curb-tries-too-hard-to-be-cool

Actually, I like the Juke and don't mind this one, except for that godawful C-pillar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I think a car that is this divisive is far more fun than one that's generally received as good.